• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Clone BD vs. MakeMKV

Whatfor, something like "hey, we can do lossless now. Drop that MakeMKV"? There's no point in "bashing" the opposition, it's up to the users to determine if its ready to replace it, and perhaps at most software reviewers to say its a replacement. It's bad business practices from a developer pov to say that.
No, so I can know when to buy it, instead of having to check the change log at every iteration until it's incorporated. Some companies actually consider listing the features and benefits of their products to be smart salesmanship. "Field of dreams" marketing where you "build it and they will come" pretty much only works for Hollywood.

All main features are (already) listed on the product page and new ones who either get added here too and/or in the changelog that's updated and posted with ever version.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Finally had some time to sit on the machine and play with CloneBD 1.0.7.1 and make some MKV's. (Remote Desktop is still not working for me). Nearly all the movies I tried worked flawlessly. Playback was good. Audio was in sync. I had two movies that were epic failures. Video was corrupt on one. The other playback was stuttering horribly and looked like a picture slideshow with audio completely broken up. All in all, I think CloneBD is pretty much there. If we can get the few remaining issues fixed, and eventually add a forced sub detection routine that splits forced subs into a separate sub stream, then we'll be done with MKV features.

Resurrecting an old thread. Looking for an update to this issue/question. I own both MakeMKV and CloneBD/AnyDVD HD. I am only interested in lossless / non-compressed copies of the original film. My early experiences with using one vs the other was that MakeMKV made much better lossless copies. CloneBD was not even close. But, that was a couple years ago. I'm curious if CloneBD has reached MakeMKV now in terms of quality with regards to lossless/uncompressed copies. Any thoughts?

The only one that can judge that is you. Try it and find out. That said, CLBD has come a long way since it's initial release

My early experiences with using one vs the other was that MakeMKV made much better lossless copies.
I'm curious if CloneBD has reached MakeMKV now in terms of quality

"Reached MakeMKV in terms of quality". That makes no sense - MakeMKV decrypts only. It doesn't handle/touch the video or the audio, so it doesn't have any influence on quality.

A lossless copy is... lossless. It's the original video. Nothing altered. How would there be differences at all?
The main difference is, that CloneBD CAN make lossy, compressed copies and MakeMKV can't.

You may have tested a very early version - back when CloneBD didn't provide a lossless option and always transcoded.

Euhm MakeMKV's main purpose is... wait for it... make mkv's. Decrypting is just a secondary bonus function and no match for AnyDVD.

"Reached MakeMKV in terms of quality". That makes no sense - MakeMKV decrypts only. It doesn't handle/touch the video or the audio, so it doesn't have any influence on quality.

A lossless copy is... lossless. It's the original video. Nothing altered. How would there be differences at all?
The main difference is, that CloneBD CAN make lossy, compressed copies and MakeMKV can't.

You may have tested a very early version - back when CloneBD didn't provide a lossless option and always transcoded.

I understand how MakeMKV works, I've been using it for years. And although, a lossless copy of the title should not alter the title, CloneBD sure did, even though no compression was selected. It was AWEFUL ! And this was as of November 2015. (see my post on page 2 of this thread). Stuttering. lack of sync between audio and video, dropped frames, etc.

When did CloneBD stop transcoding all copies? Is there a way to confirm that CloneBD is not transcoding?

The free use of Clone BD will always transcode to put the watermark in the frame, the paid version will do transcode free. If the free version creates problems notify ElBy,

The free use of Clone BD will always transcode to put the watermark in the frame, the paid version will do transcode free. If the free version creates problems notify ElBy,

NO, please don't spread that, it's not true.

Just to clarify, what the free version of CloneBD can do:

with the free version you can - without watermarking or any limitations:
  • create uncompressed, lossless movie-only copies to MKV or MP4 (with MP4, audio will always be recoded, with MKV you can choose lossless audio, too)
  • create uncompressed 1:1 copies of discs
  • create uncompressed movie only or selective partial copies (select titles and tracks/languages) - copy to folder, ISO or burn to disc
  • Trim video (remove a piece from the beginning and/or end)
With the paid version you can do all that, plus shrink to fit 25GB or in general transcode to meet the size constraints of your choosing, you can create MKV or MP4 files with HEVC codec, ....
The free version will allow that, too, but a watermark will be added to the top right corner of the video.

When did CloneBD stop transcoding all copies? Is there a way to confirm that CloneBD is not transcoding?

For creating single file movie only copies, the lossless option was added November 13th, 2015.
There were a couple of problems with the muxer at first, especially with some audio codecs, which might be what you experienced (stuttering, etc...), they are long fixed now.

And personally - I'm using CloneBD a lot myself - I don't get why people are still messing with MakeMKV or tsmuxer.

I just wish CloneBD would add a 'forced' flag to the forced subtitle track so I don't have to take it into MKVToolnix to set it

I just wish CloneBD would add a 'forced' flag to the forced subtitle track so I don't have to take it into MKVToolnix to set it

Out of curiosity: what player are you using?
An initial version of CloneBD did add that flag and the results were a bit confusing, as some players did not handle that flag too well.
The behavior of "forced" vs. "default" was inconsistent and sometimes contradictory, none of the players really enforced it the way it is specified in the Matroska docs. So it was decided, to omit it for now - as the default setting will usually come close to what the user expects.

I use Kodi. I tend to have subtitles disabled otherwise subtitles always display, but with the forced flag it means that foreign language parts are always displayed. I don't burn them in as others in the house need the full subtitles so I don't want it showing twice in the foreign language parts

I use Kodi. I tend to have subtitles disabled otherwise subtitles always display, but with the forced flag it means that foreign language parts are always displayed. I don't burn them in as others in the house need the full subtitles so I don't want it showing twice in the foreign language parts

So, wouldn't selecting the correct track as "default" together with the "only forced" checkbox do what you want?
That way, the forced subtitles will be shown by default, but can be switch to whatever else you want.

No because that means I have to turn the subtitles on in Kodi to get it to play the default subtitle, which means when it comes to other films that don't have forced subtitles they then play the subtitles all the way through which I don't want.
At the moment I dump the MKV file into MKVToolnix and tick the 'forced' box on the subtitle track and it is automatically enabled in Kodi even with subtitles turned off, just like it does when playing back a Blu-ray

You're right - I just tried it with Kodi.
With VLC the behaviour is simpler (only display the sub, if marked as "default", otherwise pick none - unless explicitly specified).

That's generally the trouble with these players, they all interpret the specs in their own way. Doesn't make things easier.

That's the one reason I still use MakeMKV from time to time myself. (Well, 3D is another issue). What I'd love is to extract forced subs into a separate track that can then be set as forced. If we could get that feature, my use of MakeMKV would be limited to 3D only.

That's the one reason I still use MakeMKV from time to time myself. (Well, 3D is another issue). What I'd love is to extract forced subs into a separate track that can then be set as forced. If we could get that feature, my use of MakeMKV would be limited to 3D only.
That is what the current version does - minus marking as forced, because some players didn't go along with this the right way.
They are working on a solution that should fit all needs...

That is what the current version does - minus marking as forced, because some players didn't go along with this the right way.
They are working on a solution that should fit all needs...

That is absolutely fantastic news. I can finally just use CloneBD going forward. Most excellent.

Back