• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Clone BD vs. MakeMKV

My results were invalid as I was trying to do this through Remote Desktop which is not (yet) supported. They're going to look and see if they can make my use case work. I'm rerunning my tests direct on the machine and it's running now. Of course, if my HTPC hadn't powered down in the middle of one of the movies that would have been good. LOL. Thing needs an upgrade at some point. I'll post back with results later.

My results were invalid as I was trying to do this through Remote Desktop which is not (yet) supported.

Funny thing is, I know that one of the devs, at least a while ago, always worked through remote desktop and all that did definitely work through RDP back then.
Doesn't matter - they'll fix it.
This thing is complex as hell (which is hard to tell by just looking at the GUI) and they decided not to leave all tasks to ffmpeg etc., like most other tools do. This means, CloneBD has to fight with all those little quirks in AVC, BD, TS, different players with different interpretations of specifications, .... that the ffmpeg crew has been fixing over the past years.
That decision was made long ago, as ffmpeg/libav simply didn't do the job right, but meanwhile I guess that's no longer valid.
But now there's no point in moving over to "full ffmpeg mode", better to get everything fixed and then have full control over the software and not be dependent on some 3rd party tool too much.
Just a little explanation for why it's taking so long to get everything to work for everybody. Just far too many use cases and varying source material.

Funny thing is, I know that one of the devs, at least a while ago, always worked through remote desktop and all that did definitely work through RDP back then.
Doesn't matter - they'll fix it.
This thing is complex as hell (which is hard to tell by just looking at the GUI) and they decided not to leave all tasks to ffmpeg etc., like most other tools do. This means, CloneBD has to fight with all those little quirks in AVC, BD, TS, different players with different interpretations of specifications, .... that the ffmpeg crew has been fixing over the past years.
That decision was made long ago, as ffmpeg/libav simply didn't do the job right, but meanwhile I guess that's no longer valid.
But now there's no point in moving over to "full ffmpeg mode", better to get everything fixed and then have full control over the software and not be dependent on some 3rd party tool too much.
Just a little explanation for why it's taking so long to get everything to work for everybody. Just far too many use cases and varying source material.

Thanks, Pete. Yea, I did all my initial testing with RD so it didn't dawn on me that it'd be the issue. So I know it CAN work. Once that's fixed, this thing looks like it's going to replace MakeMKV for me so very very nice job. I just finished Genisys off the disc in less than 30 minutes. Finished successfully.

Ah, damnit. Unfortunately the resulting MKV is unplayable. I use JRiver MC as everyone knows, and it doesn't play properly at all. The audio is all messed up (TrueHD track) and the video stutters like crazy. Not sure what's wrong.

More testing needed. But if we can get this worked out, yea, this will work GREAT.

EDIT: Doesn't play at all in PowerDVD 15.

Thanks, Pete. Yea, I did all my initial testing with RD so it didn't dawn on me that it'd be the issue. So I know it CAN work. Once that's fixed, this thing looks like it's going to replace MakeMKV for me so very very nice job. I just finished Genisys off the disc in less than 30 minutes. Finished successfully.

Ah, damnit. Unfortunately the resulting MKV is unplayable. I use JRiver MC as everyone knows, and it doesn't play properly at all. The audio is all messed up (TrueHD track) and the video stutters like crazy. Not sure what's wrong.

More testing needed. But if we can get this worked out, yea, this will work GREAT.

AARRRGSSS really? that was one focus in the last few versions.
Are you experiencing the same trouble with other players?
I tested several MKVs myself on some players that had trouble with this. So far all fine for me.

TrueHD is indeed a pain.

AARRRGSSS really? that was one focus in the last few versions.
Are you experiencing the same trouble with other players?
I tested several MKVs myself on some players that had trouble with this. So far all fine for me.

TrueHD is indeed a pain.

Yup, PDVD15 won't even touch it. Just hangs without starting. :( Sorry.

I get the same results as SamuriHL: Bad playback in MPC-HC (LAV) and no playback in PDVD. VLC seemed fine however.
DTS-HD MA or TrueHD doesn't matter - same problem.

This was in 1.0.6.8 (haven't tried 1.0.6.9 yet)

Lossless 'movie only' ISO with the same selections is fine in all players.

Pete, just did the other movie I had sent in which is DTS-HD MA 7.1. Audio sync is off otherwise it's flawless. ARGH. SOOOOOO freaking close here!!!

Just quickly tried 1.0.6.9:

DTS-HD MA source disc from SSD- Created the lossless MKV super quick ( <2 mins) but bad playback in MPC-HC (slow/stutter) and PDVD never starts playback.

Same source and selections but with 'Partial' copy to BD folder, completes in the same amount of time but is perfect in PDVD and MPC-HC.

Will test more variations later.

Just quickly tried 1.0.6.9:

DTS-HD MA source disc from SSD- Created the lossless MKV super quick ( <2 mins) but bad playback in MPC-HC (slow/stutter) and PDVD never starts playback.

Same source and selections but with 'Partial' copy to BD folder, completes in the same amount of time but is perfect in PDVD and MPC-HC.

Will test more variations later.

Yes, just got some feedback: lossless copies don't use global headers in those MKVs, obviously not every player likes that. Fix is being worked on...

Yes, just got some feedback: lossless copies don't use global headers in those MKVs, obviously not every player likes that. Fix is being worked on...

Thanks Pete :)
I'm desperate for lossless MKV to be working, can't wait! :D

My results were invalid as I was trying to do this through Remote Desktop which is not (yet) supported.

I've just tried and RDP still continues to work fine for me in 1.0.6.9 (both lossless and encoding)
Windows 7 Pro notebook to Windows 7 Pro PC using Remote Desktop Connection built in to Windows via LAN.

It even worked yesterday for me with 1.0.6.8 from external network location (via L2TP VPN)

I've just tried and RDP still continues to work fine for me in 1.0.6.9 (both lossless and encoding)
Windows 7 Pro notebook to Windows 7 Pro PC using Remote Desktop Connection built in to Windows via LAN.

It even worked yesterday for me with 1.0.6.8 from external network location (via L2TP VPN)

Well....pffttttt to you! :p :D I'm windows 10 all around.

I use the home or basic versions of windows and haven't hade much luck with Microsoft's remote tools. I use tightVNC to control all pc's on home network. They also have Remote Ripple for andriod to control the pc's

Beyond my replies. I use CloneBD to do 1:1 BD movies and so far they played fine without problems so I don't do MKV and that really is a non starter for me. I like the physical medium that and in the respect I have more control for subs and playback. With the cost of DVD/BD price now there is no excuse to make backups on DVD/BD medium. I use the combo Andvd HD, CloneBD, CloneCD-CloneDVD(for DVD) so I am perfectly fine in what I am doing. By going this route I can always know I have a working backup to work from and not have to redo a mkv movie to dvd or bd format and miss critical files. But then again this is what I do.

My requirements are pretty simple. For output I simply want the streams I select output to an MKV container. One of the features that MakeMKV has that I truly enjoy is the ability to extract forced subs out to a separate sub stream in the MKV. I don't believe CloneBD has that ability. However, if I can get untouched video, untouched HD audio, and all the sub streams I require into an MKV from CloneBD, that may be enough to get me to switch. One of the benefits CloneBD is going to have over MakeMKV comes with screenpass protected discs.
Exactly, precisely what I'm after, too. I tried both MakeMKV and Handbrake, but the interface was obtuse, and I found it difficult to figure out what streams I needed. I guess my ADD was acting up, but I just need a 'grunt and click' environment to be sure I'm getting what I want in an mkv, no more, no less.

Exactly, precisely what I'm after, too. I tried both MakeMKV and Handbrake, but the interface was obtuse, and I found it difficult to figure out what streams I needed. I guess my ADD was acting up, but I just need a 'grunt and click' environment to be sure I'm getting what I want in an mkv, no more, no less.

We're getting hella close with CloneBD. Just need to fix a few issues and we're golden.

Whatfor, something like "hey, we can do lossless now. Drop that MakeMKV"? There's no point in "bashing" the opposition, it's up to the users to determine if its ready to replace it, and perhaps at most software reviewers to say its a replacement. It's bad business practices from a developer pov to say that.

Back