• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Clone BD vs. MakeMKV

mBrane

So, was just going to purchase Clone BD, then noticed that it's $115 and it can't even handle DVDs!

MakeMKV is only $50 and handles both BD and DVD. PLUS, MakeMKV can decrypt on its own, w/out AnyDVD HD.

Someone please splain me. I'm *really* looking for a reason to support SlySoft and Elaborate Bytes, but...

Last edited:
So, was just going to purchase Clone BD, then noticed that it's $115 and it can't even handle DVDs!

MakeMKV is only $50 and handles both BD and DVD. PLUS, MakeMKV can decrypt on its own, w/out AnyDVD HD.

Someone please splain me. I'm *really* looking for a reason to support SlySoft and Elaborate Bytes, but...
I should move this to third party products but I'll let you read the differences right here

http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonebd.html

Performance Test

Yeah, I've seen the glossy. Anyway...

I also performed a comparison between the two, for a lossless conversion to MKV. Yikes! :doh: What a difference!

Check out the performance difference, when playing back in MPC-HC 64-bit (v1.7.9) on a Core i7 with 6 cores @ 3.2 GHz, 32 GB, and dual nVIDIA GTX 680's:
Performance.jpg

The top MPC instance is playing the MKV generated by CloneBD, and the bottom is MakeMKV. That's absolutely hideous. The CloneBD instance can't even hit half the target framerate of 23.976. These videos were playing simultaneously from the same position in the video track (my system can easily play multiple instances at full framerates, so don't point at me). Here are the video track differences when using each tool in "lossless" mode:

CloneBD video track:
CloneBD.JPG

MakeMKV video track:
MakeMKV.jpg

Again, someone please splain me!

Last edited:

Also read the fine Prints...

note

1. Please note that commercial blu-ray discs are proteced by technologial measures preventing unauthorized duplication (including, but not limited to, "Cinavia" technology). MakeMKV doesn't remove such measures, so MKV file produced from a commercial blu-ray disc will not play on a blu-ray player, even when converted back to M2TS format.

So your conclusion is very misinformed here. And that quote comes exactly from MakeMKV site itself. So you made alot of conclusion without reading MakeMKV site before posting misinformation here.

Last edited:
CloneBD vs. MakeMKV

So your conclusion is very misinformed here. And that quote comes exactly from MakeMKV site itself. So you made alot of conclusion without reading MakeMKV site before posting misinformation here.

Unfortunately, my reply to SlyFox 1 was blocked by this site earlier. No need to be condescending, Recycle (ie. "very misinformed." How funny of you to use an amplifier with a binary term. You're a hoot!). You are jumping to a lot of conclusions yourself. For starters, I *have* read MakeMKV's site, which *clearly* indicates that:

"MakeMKV supports all commercial Blu-ray discs protected by latest versions of AACS and BD+."
"MakeMKV can create a decrypted backup of a Blu-ray disc on a hard drive. Decrypted backup will contain all files from original disc but M2TS files will be decrypted (both AACS and BD+ will be removed)."
* just read their FAQ

I conducted a test between the products: a lossless conversion of a Bluray title to MKV. Yikes! :doh: What a difference!

Check out the performance difference, when playing back in MPC-HC 64-bit (v1.7.9) on a Core i7 with 6 cores @ 3.2 GHz, 32 GB, and dual nVIDIA GTX 680's:

Performance.jpg

* the top MPC instance is playing the MKV generated by CloneBD, and the bottom is MakeMKV.

That's absolutely hideous! The CloneBD instance can't even hit half the target framerate of 23.976. These videos were playing simultaneously from the same position in the video track (my system can easily play multiple instances at full framerates, so don't point at me).

Here are the video track differences when using each tool in "lossless" mode:

CloneBD video track:
CloneBD.JPG

MakeMKV video track:
MakeMKV.jpg

Again, looking for a good reason to support CloneBD. About the only thing that I've identified is the AnyDVD HD Cinavia integration w/ CloneBD. Detractors still remain: no support for DVDs, the performance issue documented above, and the price.

Again, looking for a good reason to support CloneBD. About the only thing that I've identified is the AnyDVD HD Cinavia integration w/ CloneBD. Detractors still remain: no support for DVDs, the performance issue documented above, and the price.

If the only thing you want to do is make lossless MKV files, then MakeMKV is the best option.
As far as I know CloneBD does not yet support lossless/untouched MKV file output.

I agree with ddjmagic, CloneBD is a tool that has many function and more yet to come. :agree:

MakeMKV is a nice little program, but to me, it is a complement to, but no way better than, the AnyDVD HD/CloneBD combination in which I own.

SamuriHL is one of the Moderators on this site, and he uses MakeMKV, by the way.

One thing that I see that CloneBD has in advantage over MakeMKV is that it is always changing, evolving to take on the challenges that the Blu-ray consortium has set up in making legal back up copies of your movies/TV shows, etc. harder to do.

For example, I own the 21 Jump Street/22 Jump Street Blu-ray disc sets. I also own some other discs as well, such as Captain Phillips, The Wedding Ringer, and a few recent and past movies. MakeMKV is useless to me because if I convert those discs to a MKV and play them on my Samsumg Blu-ray disc player, the Cinavia shut off signal is activated after about 20 minutes or so.

That is the deal breaker for me, because at least with the newest AnyDVD HD/CloneBD combo, I can make an MKV from those discs that have Cinavia on them, and play them on my Blu-ray player.

I know CloneBD doesn't have the ability to create lossless MKV files yet, but I can wait, because at least I can use this to play MKVs on my Blu-ray player/TV without having the Cinavia shut off message kick in.

One last thing: with AnyDVD HD, if I wish, I can also play MKVs such as from MakeMKV on my PC if I wish on PowerDVD Ultra versions 12 to 15 and TMT 5/TMT 6, since I legally own all the above software players.

MakeMKV doesn't do that at all.

So, my question to mBrane, is MakeMKV really worth $50 when it can't even handle Cinavia???

PS By the way, Cinavia is enforced on all Blu-ray players made since 2012, and legal Blu-ray playback software made since February 2012 as well.

Last edited:
At the moment, for making an mkv MakeMKV has still important advantages over clonebd, noteably that clonebd always transcodes whereas makemkv will do passthrough

For this reason, right now Clonebd takes 4x as long to make 1/2 the quality, as mBrane notes

BUT VERY IMPORTANTLY we are promised this will not always be so!

There is some other functionality where makemkv, today, is better, or in clonebd is even non-existent - handling angles springs to mind for example

On the other side, Clonebd can deliver a cinavia-free soundtrack, albeit not in original dts and still with glitches in my brief experience so far

Clonebd obviously has a lot of other functionality and not just mkv, notably to burn clone disks!

Both these products are being actively developed and have their strengths. I think they are both great, makemkv is imo more mature right now tbh, but it won't always be so I guess. If you compare where clonebd was on launch with today it's an enormous progress.

So I am trusting the developers of both these products.

PS Edited to add: just noted whatever_gong82's post above, so this is just confirming what he said I guess

Last edited:
MakeMKV is a nice little program, but to me, it is a complement to, but no way better than, the AnyDVD HD/CloneBD combination in which I own.

Couldn't agree more...

PS By the way, Cinavia is enforced on all Blu-ray players made since 2012, and legal Blu-ray playback software made since February 2012 as well.

That's what some misses to remember.....

At the moment, for making an mkv MakeMKV has still important advantages over clonebd, noteably that clonebd always transcodes whereas makemkv will do passthrough

For this reason, right now Clonebd takes 4x as long to make 1/2 the quality, as mBrane notes

BUT VERY IMPORTANTLY we are promised this will not always be so!

Pass through only works if you can get past the encryption but as noted on MakeMKV own site they already noted something that you missed looking at before posting.

There is some other functionality where makemkv, today, is better, or in clonebd is even non-existent - handling angles springs to mind for example

That's alot of wishful thinking. What functionality you should list them if that is your point here to show otherwise. I have no idea what "Handling angles springs" are and since the example is has no explanation - I can't make heads or tails of it?

On the other side, Clonebd can deliver a cinavia-free soundtrack, albeit not in original dts and still with glitches in my brief experience so far

And your telling me other software can do better a complete copy? Glitches has been fixed for my usage and experience so far..so your own statement can be reversed on it's head as well. So this is all hearsay and no basis for anyone to validate on.

Clonebd obviously has a lot of other functionality and not just mkv, notably to burn clone disks!

Wrong it can do more but it's up to user to do decide what they want to do...some mkv and other complete backup like me...so that would fit the job far better then MakeMkv.

Both these products are being actively developed and have their strengths. I think they are both great, makemkv is imo more mature right now tbh, but it won't always be so I guess. If you compare where clonebd was on launch with today it's an enormous progress.

So I am trusting the developers of both these products.

That sounds like a interesting story but unfortunately MakeMkv doesn't have all the other software support to make the product complement each other unlike Slysoft suites when put together far out values MakeMkv by itself for support and software package.

PS Edited to add: just noted whatever_gong82's post above, so this is just confirming what he said I guess

Then you didn't read MakeMKV own posting of the "Note" that what they tell you as well right? It doesn't have strengths when it is noted not to work on the current protection on media. If you missed here here it is:

note

Please note that commercial blu-ray discs are proteced by technologial measures preventing unauthorized duplication (including, but not limited to, "Cinavia" technology). MakeMKV doesn't remove such measures, so MKV file produced from a commercial blu-ray disc will not play on a blu-ray player, even when converted back to M2TS format.

Last edited:
OK, so I've given up on lossless video with CloneBD, so now just trying to encode a single track with lossless audio (CloneBD's own pre-defined template, mind you). Look what I got:

CloneBD capture error.JPG

Sorry, I have high hopes for CloneBD, too, but I'm just not feeling the love right now. The *only* thing that I'd be willing to use it for at the moment is to encode an AC3 track w/out Cinavia (I do have a lifetime license of AnyDVD HD). Given that I don't *have* to playback those titles on a device that enforces Cinavia, that's a lot to pay for just this one feature.

Couldn't agree more...

That's what some misses to remember.....

Pass through only works if you can get past the encryption but as noted on MakeMKV own site they already noted something that you missed looking at before posting.

That's alot of wishful thinking. What functionality you should list them if that is your point here to show otherwise. I have no idea what "Handling angles springs" are and since the example is has no explanation - I can't make heads or tails of it?

And your telling me other software can do better a complete copy? Glitches has been fixed for my usage and experience so far..so your own statement can be reversed on it's head as well. So this is all hearsay and no basis for anyone to validate on.

Wrong it can do more but it's up to user to do decide what they want to do...some mkv and other complete backup like me...so that would fit the job far better then MakeMkv.

That sounds like a interesting story but unfortunately MakeMkv doesn't have all the other software support to make the product complement each other unlike Slysoft suites when put together far out values MakeMkv by itself for support and software package.

Then you didn't read MakeMKV own posting of the "Note" that what they tell you as well right? It doesn't have strengths when it is noted not to work on the current protection on media. If you missed here here it is:

You've misunderstood some things in my opinion

1. Of course MakeMKV makes mkv's and doesn't do many other things that CloneBD does do

2. Once I have made a playable mkv from the correct playlist the only possible remaining protection ***by definition*** is cinavia in the soundtrack. And I do play mkv's made by Makemkv on my hardware player all the time.

3. A fair comment is to do a feature comparison of a particular version of makemkv with a particular version of CloneDB wrt subtitles, forced subtitles, chaptering, etc etc. Otherwise it does end up being generalities where I forget which version what problem happened on. I -will- try to invest the time to do that as I think it would have a lot of value but it's really only worth the effort once CloneBD does the passthrough instead of transcode, especially since I am currently in the process of moving to a new country! It's true that especially CloneBD is moving forward all the time.

4. I do, for better or worse, quite often make a ISO using AnyDVD and then work on that ISO from Makemkv, just for example

5. Angles are alternative parallel versions of the video (in the same way as you can have alternative soundtracks and switch between them), e.g. for special effects, which makemkv recognises and pops up in the menu. A bit like seamless branching but need to be the same length for obvious reasons.

6. Please don't wave that makemkv disclaimer at me which I do perfectly well understand but isn't relevant to what I wrote.

OK, so I've given up on lossless video with CloneBD, so now just trying to encode a single track with lossless audio (CloneBD's own pre-defined template, mind you). Look what I got:

View attachment 26997

Sorry, I have high hopes for CloneBD, too, but I'm just not feeling the love right now. The *only* thing that I'd be willing to use it for at the moment is to encode an AC3 track w/out Cinavia (I do have a lifetime license of AnyDVD HD). Given that I don't *have* to playback those titles on a device that enforces Cinavia, that's a lot to pay for just this one feature.

They have committed to fixing this. They prioritised disk cloning over file copy it seems, to be fair the clue's in the name. For those people who want file copies, it means patience :)

They have committed to fixing this. They prioritised disk cloning over file copy it seems, to be fair the clue's in the name. For those people who want file copies, it means patience :)

Thx, Steve. You seem to be one of the more level-headed contributors on this forum. Much obliged!

I keep coming to the forums to see if CloneBD is ready, it obviously isn't ready (to me) yet.

Thanks mBrane for your evaluations, I have this inability to believe promises (guess I have lived a little bit long); I think the software costs too much to depend on them.

Must be AnyDVD et al (which I consider one of the best purchases I've made) fault's for actually working as intended.

I keep coming to the forums to see if CloneBD is ready, it obviously isn't ready (to me) yet.

Thanks mBrane for your evaluations, I have this inability to believe promises (guess I have lived a little bit long); I think the software costs too much to depend on them.

Must be AnyDVD et al (which I consider one of the best purchases I've made) fault's for actually working as intended.

This ^

Hi mcarr6, believe me, your input is valuable to Slysoft and Elaborate Bytes, they are working very hard to make this software the best it can be, but some of the time things go wrong, and they will be fixed, developers are working around the clock to make this the best software in the world of its type. Please instead of reading about other peoples issues, try it, its free to try, if you personally have issues let us know and we will work on making you a happy customer.:agree:

I'm going to jump in here. I want it noted that my opinion is from a user's perspective. I'm taking my moderator hat off for a minute.

I use MakeMKV to make all of my non-3D backups. I've been doing this for MANY years at this point. I ALWAYS use it with AnyDVD enabled, ignoring the MakeMKV warning about incompatibilities. Never had a problem there. MakeMKV is convenient, but, IMO lacking in several key areas that I think CloneBD can eventually bring to the table.

The first is handling screen pass protected titles. Let's be honest, it's a real pain in the ass to have to track down the proper titleset. However, as mentioned, I use MakeMKV with AnyDVD, so, this is only an annoyance more than a problem since AnyDVD will give me the proper title.

The second is handling episode BD's. They don't always author the discs in nice neat orderly playlists. You have to determine what playlist corresponds to what episode. There are a myriad of ways to do this, none of them automated. CloneBD should be able to help with that.

The third is not something I personally care about, but, has to be mentioned anyway as some WILL care. That is compression. Some people want to keep the HD audio, forced subs (we'll talk about this one in a minute), and maybe shrink the video down a few gigs to save some space. I think that's a reasonable "ask". CloneBD can do this. Mostly. It needs a bit of time to mature (again, we'll chat on this in a sec) but it's got a lot going for it.

Finally, obviously, Cinavia. I'm going to take a contrarian argument on this one. Since the topic here is MKV, honestly, I couldn't care less about Cinavia. And until a solution provides me with 100% lossless HD audio in that department, Cinavia removal just doesn't work for me. I sincerely applaud the effort and for those that care about Cinavia, this is a great option.

So where does CloneBD currently fall down?

The most obvious is the fact that all video is transcoded currently. There are technical reasons for this that as a developer can be appreciated, as an end user maybe less so. All I'm going to say on this one is I get why it's being done and respect their decision to force it for now. I'm not going to debate anyone on this topic or explain it. The simple fact is, transcoding is enabled for all operations right now and it's done intentionally with good reason. Eventually, once CloneBD matures, this will not be the case. We'll leave it at that.

I'd argue that subtitles are a shortcoming right now, as well. MakeMKV has a brilliant feature to not just keep subs based on user preferences (albeit complicated for end users in some ways to get the preferences string set correctly to auto-select what you want...still, it's powerful nonetheless) but they can also scan for forced subs while its at it and create a separate sub track for forced subs and flag it. We need this option. Period.

So, passthrough of video (we'll get there, I'm quite sure), passthrough of audio, passthrough of subs with the ability to create separate forced sub tracks, and the ability of auto-selecting based on my preferences (english audio, hd, english subs as an example)...that will make it surpass MakeMKV because of the additional episode disc handling and aforementioned screen pass annoyances. Let's be very clear here, this is not a difficult thing for them to do. However, it's also not their top priority so this is going to take a while to get. Right now they're rightly focused on the transcoding engine as that's the real power behind CloneBD. They're likely working on improving Cinavia. And they're working on titles that simply don't work for whatever reason. Honestly, those are the right priorities for them to work on. The "easy" things like proper MKV support, it'll come, but, not right now. I can promise you I'm in the same camp as you waiting for it. As an end user, it's my most wanted feature and I'm as impatient as everyone else. In the meantime, I'll continue to use what works for me....which is MakeMKV. I keep checking out the new CloneBD builds as they come to see if we've gotten closer to the ideal outlined above. I don't have any unreal expectations about getting my needs met soon. I'll continue doing what I'm doing....using what works, checking on each new build to see what's improved, and providing feedback when I can to help the developers improve CloneBD little by little.

If you're not comfortable with where CloneBD is at and don't want to buy something based on promises, I can respect that. To you, I'd said, sit back and wait and watch those release notes for each new build. Eventually you're going to see the MKV output get some love. When it does, then let the real comparisons happen. It's just not ready.....yet.

They don't always author the discs in nice neat orderly playlists. You have to determine what playlist corresponds to what episode. There are a myriad of ways to do this, none of them automated. CloneBD should be able to help with that.

Just out of curiosity, how will CloneBD help with determining which episode/playlist is which?
I don't see that's it possible to automate this, without user input, though admittedly this would be an amazing feature :)

I've been doing this for MANY years at this point.

That was the biggest issue, I think. CloneBD arrived very late to the party and seemed to be in development for ages, mix that in with Slysoft/Elby previous track record and that brings some very high (and maybe unreasonable) expectations :D ...... I think it was inevitable users were going to expect certain features from the start.

CloneBD has the ability to parse the menu information, so, it can help quite a bit with some episode discs. Couple that with the ability to play each titleset right there as you select it and the result is quite powerful.

Back