• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Can't backup funeral DVD that funeral home created

ttwiv

I receive a read error when I try to copy/backup the funeral DVD that I purchased from a funeral home that they created for my mother-in-law's funeral

Using AnyDVD HD (6.7.1.0) I first tried "Rip to Image", and after a couple of minutes it aborted with an write error. I then tired "Rip Video DVD to Hardisk" and as it started to write, it said "Repairing defective DVD structures", then erred with a "IFOProperties 6" message. Is this forum where I report such issues and deliver the logfile, or is there an official Slysoft support site?

I've successfully backed up many DVD that have copy protection with AnyDVD. This is the first time I've encountered a problem.

Logfile attached

Following is the Settings/Status screen:
AnyDVD 6.7.1. reports the following for this disk:
Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.7.1.0)
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA-4020B A105 00090902P3A103797
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-r (version 5), Layers: 1
Total size: 524288 sectors (1024 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: VIDEO_DISC
Media is not CSS protected.
Media is region free.
Video Standard: NTSC

Found & removed fluxDVD protection!
Found & removed invalid cell pieces!
Found & removed bogus title set(s)!
RCE protection not found.
UDF filesystem patched!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 2 potential bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

I attached the logfile to this post

-Tom

Attachments

• AnyDVD_6.7.1.0_Info_E_VIDEO_DISC.zip
    521.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
If you have CloneDVD then I would suggest disabling AnyDVD, opening CloneDVD, selecting Write Existing Date, and ripping to an ISO and burning. If you don't have CloneDVD then refer to the instructions below...

It's rare that you will ever see me suggest the following but in this case it might be worth a shot.

1. Make sure AnyDVD is enabled.
  2. Right-click on the fox icon in your systray and select Rip to Image....
  3. Ignore the warning that will pop up and click Yes.
  4. Select the drive the disc is in as the source.
  5. Select where you want to create the ISO image on your hard drive.
  6. Click Copy DVD and wait for it to finish.
  7. Burn the resulting ISO image to a blank DVD using CloneDVD via Write Existing Data, CloneCD, or even ImgBurn.

I would suggest experimenting with a DVD+RW first to see if the resulting backup plays on a DVD player. This won't allow you to remaster the DVD but you should be able to make a full backup, I'm hoping.

NOTE: I really do not ever recommend using Rip to Image... for SD DVDs but there are rare instances where I feel it can be a very useful tool.

Last edited:
post incorrectly moved I think

To who moved my post titled "can't backup funeral DVD" -- I think you moved it out of AnyDVD HD because I stated in the post I was using AnyDVD and forgot the "HD" suffix. I corrected the post to state that the issue is with "AnyDVD HD". Can you move my post back to AnyDVD HD? It has the word Funeral in the title. Thanks -Tom.

If it was for a DVD then putting it in the AnyDVD forum is the correct place for it to be. The AnyDVD HD forum is for HD DVD and Blu-ray

To who moved my post titled "can't backup funeral DVD" -- I think you moved it out of AnyDVD HD because I stated in the post I was using AnyDVD and forgot the "HD" suffix. I corrected the post to state that the issue is with "AnyDVD HD". Can you move my post back to AnyDVD HD? It has the word Funeral in the title. Thanks -Tom.

I moved your post(s). Your problem is with an standard DVD and not a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD disc. As such your troubleshooting thread belongs in the AnyDVD forum as opposed to the AnyDVD HD forum. If your problem had been with a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD disc then you would have been right in posting in the AnyDVD HD forum. Threads merged in the AnyDVD forum.

Now... let's move on to resolving the problem with the disc... and I already replied with information.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification on the move of the post. And thanks for you reply on the issue.

I do have CloneDVD2, and will try those steps shortly.

I had already tried the "rip to Image" option, and that is where I originally got the read error.

You state that you don't recommend using "rip to image" for SD DVDs. I'm curious why that is. I have backed up all my DVDs using that feature so that I have them as simple ISO files -- simply easier to manage. May I ask what the drawback is?

Thank you,
-Tom.

Thanks for the clarification on the move of the post. And thanks for you reply on the issue.

I had already tried the "rip to Image" option, and that is where I originally got the read error.

You state that you don't recommend using "rip to image" for SD DVDs. I'm curious why that is. I have backed up all my DVDs using that feature so that I have them as simple ISO files -- simply easier to manage. May I ask what the drawback is?

Rip to image doesn't remove structural protections nor does it do any remastering. It will leave behind those protections which will cause the disc to not be able to be edited by other software.

I agree that having a single ISO image file is easier to deal with so if you want to do that then use CloneDVD and select the output as an ISO image. The difference is that CloneDVD if you use the Clone DVD or Copy DVD Titles options remasters the DVD as you rip it. Using the Write Existing Data option in CloneDVD does not do any remastering. Using the Rip to Image... function as part of the AnyDVD ripper does not do any remastering and this function in AnyDVD was actually created for ripping Blu-Ray discs rather than standard DVDs.

In the end, it's possible I may not be able to give you a working solution, unfortunately. That doesn't mean one doesn't exist and you can feel free to contact Slysoft Support directly for assistance: http://www.slysoft.com/contact.html. They might be able to help you out.

Last edited:
You can also try the following. It may work...

1. Disable AnyDVD
  2. Start CloneDVD
  3. Select Preferences
  4. check the Use File System Instead of Internal I/O setting
  5. Exit the preferences
  6. Close and re-open CloneDVD. I'm not sure if this is necessary but it can't hurt.
  7. Try using the Clone DVD option
  8. After you are all done with the process then go back into the preferences and uncheck the Use File System Instead of Internal I/O setting and re-enable AnyDVD.

Report back on what happens.

I suspect you are dealing with a disc very similar to the one discussed in this thread: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=42787. Ignore the flaming and trollish behavior in the thread. It does contain some information of interest. Contacting Slysoft Support might be your best course of action but it's possible a developer may respond in this thread, as well.

Last edited:

Thank you,
-Tom.

I think the software displays a huge warning about "rip to image" as well.

-W

I think the software displays a huge warning about "rip to image" as well.
-W

I believe the warning's purpose as to warn the user that the ISO image will not be usable unless you have another program that can mount the ISO (such as VirtualCloneDrive).

When I create the ISO image using AnyDVD, there is a check box called "Keep Protection", which you are apparently supposed to keep checked for Blu-ray. I uncheck it since I'm not ripping from Blu-ray. So I'm assuming that the protections are being REMOVED... right?

Thanks,
-Tom.

Wrong.
Structural protection is not being removed.
Rip to folder instead - then make an ISO from the folder.

-W

...Structural protection is not being removed.
Rip to folder instead - then make an ISO from the folder. -W
Thanks for the clarification. Got it -- because the ISO is an exact copy -- structural protections remain -- though apparently it removes other types of copy protections.

What I am doing now is I am using CloneDVD2 to do what you suggest in one step. I put the DVD in the drive with AnyDVD running, then launch CloneDVD2 and use that to rip the DVD to an ISO. It appears CloneDVD2 is doing this in a 2-step process -- writing the files out to a temp directory, then using the temp directory to create the ISO. This will remove all protections, right?

Thanks, -Tom.

...In the end, it's possible I may not be able to give you a working solution, unfortunately. That doesn't mean one doesn't exist and you can feel free to contact Slysoft Support directly for assistance: http://www.slysoft.com/contact.html. They might be able to help you out.
Slysoft's reply:
AnyDVD is made for protected, commercial movie DVDs you find in stores and
rentals, no private creations.

You can copy this DVD with a general copy program like ImgBurn (
http://www.imgburn.com ) or the internal Windows burn function.​

I haven't tried their suggestion yet, but I don't think they are correct that I can use the standard Windows burn function -- as this DVD has FluxDVD protection, invalid cell pieces, bogus title sets, and 2 potential bad sector protections.

-Tom.

...I haven't tried their suggestion yet, but I don't think they are correct that I can use the standard Windows burn function -- as this DVD has FluxDVD protection, invalid cell pieces, bogus title sets, and 2 potential bad sector protections.

Okay... tried IMGBURN. Still would not copy due to I/O errors (as expected). I guess the combination of copy protections on this funeral DVD is not copyable -- and because it is such a low volume item (DVD authoring protection sold to funeral homes) -- there isn't an easy way for Slysoft to support it.

So I guess no backup of these memories :-(

Okay... tried IMGBURN. Still would not copy due to I/O errors (as expected). I guess the combination of copy protections on this funeral DVD is not copyable -- and because it is such a low volume item (DVD authoring protection sold to funeral homes) -- there isn't an easy way for Slysoft to support it.

So I guess no backup of these memories :-(

Try to use something like professional data recovery software to do what you're looking for. Google, Yahoo, or Bing for some examples. Check the Third Party Forums search key for more examples. I used something called BadCopy Pro to work on a disc that was very bad, then used CloneDVD2 to create a workable image file afterward.

YMMV, so try out any trial versions first.

Good luck

DVD is in good condition

... I used something called BadCopy Pro to work on a disc that was very bad, then used CloneDVD2 to create a workable image file afterward.

Thanks for the advice. To make sure we are on the same page -- the DVD I have (craated by the funeral home) is in very good condition, though I understand cheap media can also be an issue. I have a couple copies of it, and both have the same issues when tyring to copy for backup (they both play fine). i just want to create a backup image as media goes bad over time. Are you suggesting the use of data recovery tools because you think I have a bad DVD, or because data recovery tools might get around the copy protections that are on this DVD?

Thanks, -Tom.

Thanks for the advice. To make sure we are on the same page -- the DVD I have (craated by the funeral home) is in very good condition, though I understand cheap media can also be an issue. I have a couple copies of it, and both have the same issues when tyring to copy for backup (they both play fine). i just want to create a backup image as media goes bad over time. Are you suggesting the use of data recovery tools because you think I have a bad DVD, or because data recovery tools might get around the copy protections that are on this DVD?

Thanks, -Tom.

Yes, I am suggesting the data recovery method. After using that method, the recovered folder could be used by CloneDVD2 to whatever method that you want. I should add that I could also use CloneDVD2 to make a image file after I used the method I'm suggesting to you.

But, like I said before, try out the trial versions first, before you make a decision.

Last edited:
Why don't you simply give or mail them several good quality blanks to make extra backup copies?
I don't think they charge enough for the software to be able to provide that level of service.

Back