• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Blocked BD copy playback (Cinavia)

I suspect this might be difficult (almost as difficult as removing Cinavia)....

not detectable on a scan

I know, yet another Cinavia thread. I just had a question/feature request.
As I said, I'm looking at just knowing what titles I'm backing up have Cinavia (not at removing the offending signal, just tell me it's there). I might not spend the media backing up an infected disk if I could determine it has Cinavia. While lists are well and good, they tend to be stale as soon as new media is released. Would it be possible for AnyDVD (HD) to tell us which disks have Cinavia? No removal necessary.

TIA

In the beginning there were lists here and on many other forums. It is impossible to have such a definitive list at this point as you stated.
AnyDVD cannot detect this attribute in the content.

Last edited:
It's a copy protection and as such, they are required to display it on the (back) cover. Just look for the Cinavia logo.

I thought this was stated well about Cinavia

The Cinavia "signal" is not audio as we know it. It uses a differential in the S/N ratio to create a small data signal. I forgot the amount but it's measured in bits. It's only applied in the audio during passages with enough sound to mask it. If anyone WAS actually able to hear it - it might sound like a brief pulsing hiss, but it doesn't actually effect the audio quality per se. Questions of audibility or "degradation" aside, it cannot be removed from a bitstream, the audio would have to be decoded then the signal somehow masked. Odds are high that removing it or masking it would be far more audible than the signal is.

It's correct that the real solution will be in the playback device, either a hardware or firmware hack, or perhaps if the player simply ignores it when it occurs outside of a BD format. IOW, copy the movie to some other format and the player ignores Cinavia.

The watermark is part of the audio after it's decoded. Removing it is impossible. Altering it in some way to make it stop functioning is possible but unlikely - certainly doing so has greater chance of degrading the audio. It would certainly involve decoding the bitstream first, meaning re-encoding it again. So, demux the audio, decode it, alter it then re-encode it and lastly remux. Sound like something you want to do every time you rip a movie?

Even more interesting would be a stolen copy of Cinavia's software used for applying the watermark. I'll guess that the watermark is applied to the audio in LPCM format before encoding to it's final codec. Reverse engineering the watermark would provide a path to removing it or at least disabling it. But still I think the answer is in modding the playback device.

:doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a copy protection and as such, they are required to display it on the (back) cover. Just look for the Cinavia logo.

I've never heard nor experienced such a requirement. Where did you learn of this requirement?
I see the cinavia logo on my Sony titles that have the modified audio track - but I've never seen a logo on the packaging from another studio. Of course Sony is the one putting out these titles with the modified audio track the most. There are only a handful from other studios, as far as I know.

Yikes _ that would be hard to do with the up coming release of The Amazing Spider Man _ I haven't seen it yet.

Agreed - I avoid purchasing titles with audio tracks modified by cinavia, but there are exceptions, of course (and The Amazing Spider-Man will be one of them for me). The interesting thing about cinavia is - I don't buy more Sony titles because of it - I actually buy fewer, since I've eliminated blind buys and titles I'm not 100% sure I want to own. A $1.50 Redbox rental of a blu-ray works just fine.

I've never heard nor experienced such a requirement. Where did you learn of this requirement?
I see the cinavia logo on my Sony titles that have the modified audio track - but I've never seen a logo on the packaging from another studio. Of course Sony is the one putting out these titles with the modified audio track the most. There are only a handful from other studios, as far as I know.
The Losers, the first Cinavia title, did not have a logo; AFAIK all Cinavia titles since have had one. I can't say for certain why The Losers didn't have it (beta testing? licensing mixup?), but almost certainly the logo is a licensing requirement from Verance and/or the BDA.

Please, let's keep the Cinavia discussions off the AnyDVD HD board. As the boys in Antigua have said for years, AnyDVD HD does not and will not defeat Cinavia.

Doesn't Canada have video rental stores?

The last big rental chain (Block Buster) was shut down by its American counter part. Block Buster USA used the Canadian chain as collateral to pull its ass out of the fire and then shut the Can. chain down _ even though it was alive and well.
All that's left are privately owned stores and the nearest one to me is a 1/2 hour drive away.
If that ever closes then I will have to rent through mail order or buy everyone that comes along. I already have around 400 Blu-rays in my collection just from blind buying over the years, but to have to buy anything that comes along that I want to watch sucks big time.
Mail order isn't bad, but then I would have to wait another week to see it after it's release because the mail order place is based down East (3000 miles away).

The last big rental chain (Block Buster) was shut down by its American counter part. Block Buster USA used the Canadian chain as collateral to pull its ass out of the fire and then shut the Can. chain down _ even though it was alive and well.
All that's left are privately owned stores and the nearest one to me is a 1/2 hour drive away.
If that ever closes then I will have to rent through mail order or buy everyone that comes along. I already have around 400 Blu-rays in my collection just from blind buying over the years, but to have to buy anything that comes along that I want to watch sucks big time.
Mail order isn't bad, but then I would have to wait another week to see it after it's release because the mail order place is based down East (3000 miles away).
So they don't have Redbox in British Columbia?

So they don't have Redbox in British Columbia?

Ya, they do, but it's also 1/2 hour drive away as well at it never gets stocked with the new titles when they're released, eg Amazing Spideman.
And no 7 night rental like BB used to have, so I may as well just rent from the private store.
The seven night rental from BB was great for me. I could rent what I wanted on Tuesday and watch them on Friday and Saturday when I wasn't working.
I am up at 6 AM every morning to go to work and at the end of the day I just don't have the energy to watch a movie and if I did, it gets kind of late so getting up at 6 the next day is rough.
I discussed the problem I had with the private rental store and they only way it would work was to keep them over the weekend and pay the late fees. They didn't want me to do that so I create the ISO of the rental and watch them when it's good for me.
The rental store knows I am doing this and it was agreed it was better for them too as they rent titles that don't normally go out on a Tuesday.
The alternative to this is to drive the distance, rent the movie, return it on Saturday - rent - return it on Sunday. This wastes huge amounts if fuel and time doing this _ the SlySoft solution works for everyone even though it was not meant to copy rental discs.
I was called a thief for doing this, but I like to say I am a victim of circumstance and if anyone who reads this wants to blame someone, blame Block Buster USA for shutting down the Canadian end of it.

Last edited:
The Losers, the first Cinavia title, did not have a logo; AFAIK all Cinavia titles since have had one. I can't say for certain why The Losers didn't have it (beta testing? licensing mixup?), but almost certainly the logo is a licensing requirement from Verance and/or the BDA.

Please, let's keep the Cinavia discussions off the AnyDVD HD board. As the boys in Antigua have said for years, AnyDVD HD does not and will not defeat Cinavia.

I have not seen a single Warner title with a cinavia logo on it - and Warner has released titles with cinavia modified audio tracks according to my research. As far as I have seen, only Sony is indicating their titles that have cinavia modified audio with the cinavia logo.
I expect all verance cares about is the check from the movie studio involved.

NM. I was thinking of the Digital Media Consumers' Rights Act but it only applied to Compact Discs and the bill was never passed anyway.

The Losers. Very first Cinavia title.

Are you saying this title DID have a cinavia logo on the cover to warn consumers, or DID NOT. Please clarify. I believe the other poster in this conversation said it did not have a cinavia logo. I agree with that person.

Are you saying this title DID have a cinavia logo on the cover to warn consumers, or DID NOT. Please clarify. I believe the other poster in this conversation said it did not have a cinavia logo. I agree with that person.

No logo, but, had Cinavia.

I have Cyberlink Power DVD 9.6 pre installed on my laptop and it wouldnt play the same DVD at all.

So my best bet is to download that player in the link earlier and play it from my laptop to my tv?

So what is my best bet to download that player in the link and play it through my laptop?

Back