• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD Protection Database 1.0 (beta)

Why the thousands of exact duplicate files then?

The nearly 3000 files in "C:\Program Files (x86)\RedFox\AnyDVDProtectionDatabase\data" exactly match the files in "C:\Program Files (x86)\RedFox\AnyDVD\bdplus".

Last edited:
I uninstalled "AnyDVD Protection Database 1.0 (beta)" and as I suspected, one of the sets of files disappeared.
It's obviously not needed any more.

Last edited:
So? Who cares about the disc space you just saved when UHDs take up several Gbytes. Up to 100 Gbytes per movie.

You're just a moderator. You're not really the right person to be claiming that Redfox produce sloppy code and don't care about wasting space in users "Program Files (x86)" with unnecessary duplicate copies of files.

Is the old "AnyDVD Protection Database 1.0 (beta)" perhaps redundant now?
I think you are right, it does seem that the protection database for BD+ discs has been included since AnyDVD 8.6.8.2.
You're not really the right person to be claiming that Redfox produce sloppy code and don't care about wasting space in users "Program Files (x86)" with unnecessary duplicate copies of files.

Why the thousands of exact duplicate files then?
If I had to guess, I'd say it might be because there hasn't been a stable update to AnyDVD since the inclusion of the UHD keydb and BD+ database.

Recently I noticed that there are two identical copies of what appears to be a database of some kind related to AnyDVD on my PC.
Recently released versions of AnyDVD release notes say: "- New (UHD): Keys for almost 10000 UHD discs are now included."
Why the duplication?
Is the old "AnyDVD Protection Database 1.0 (beta)" perhaps redundant now?
Yes, it is included with the recent AnyDVD betas. However, I am not sure if this was a wise decision. It increases download traffic, download and installation time.
Maybe it is better to undo this change for the release version.

Yes, it is included with the recent AnyDVD betas. However, I am not sure if this was a wise decision. It increases download traffic, download and installation time.
That is the same thoughts I had as well, I just never asked and had no clue if it is similar or not. I just thought it would be better to update this database once in a while than always downloading the entire thing with each release.

Maybe implement an option so AnyDVD can check and download/update it itself, similar to the key.db download from SamuriHLs Scanner? Then it would never be neccessary to update the database in this thread, but AnyDVD could just download all new keys that have been added since the last check with a click of a button.

I took a look into the settings, and there is a bit of space in the UHD section where you can specify the path of the key.db file. Below that, there could be a button to download/update the database, and also display the current stats.

If never downloaded, only the button is visible and a short description that it makes it possible to decrypt discs without internet connection.
As soon as the user has downloaded it:
[Check for updates]
Last Update:
2024-01-22
Keys: 1.000 (+10)
Size: 70 MB (+5 MB)

The check for updates button will check if there are any new keys, and if so, add the amount of keys and the size of the download in () so the user can see it. That are the 10 keys with 5 MB in size there. If that happend, it will change the button to [Download update]. When the user decides to download them, it could show a little progress bar, or just 1 MB/5 MB. And when it is done, it will refresh the stats.

If you don't want to implement it, could there be a seperate tool that downloads both the key.db and the AnyDVD database? Maybe SamuriHL can implement it in his new project. But I would of course prefer to see it within AnyDVD itself.

I took a look into the settings, and there is a bit of space in the UHD section where you can specify the path of the key.db file. Below that, there could be a button to download/update the database, and also display the current stats.
The database has nothing to do with UHD. See the first (and follow up) posts in this thread.
It was never updated and probably never will.

The database has nothing to do with UHD. See the first (and follow up) posts in this thread.
It was never updated and probably never will.
Ok, then I got confused by the statement it (the AnyDVD update) contains UHD stuff as well, and the statement of the user that the files are the same. Then there is absolutely no reason to implement the database in the AnyDVD download when it won't get any updates anyway.

I think you're right.

@James , please enlighten us on this. It seems that the hashes in the bdplus directory are the same as in the offline database. So how does UHD decrypting work w/o Internet access?

@James , please enlighten us on this. It seems that the hashes in the bdplus directory are the same as in the offline database. So how does UHD decrypting work w/o Internet access?
The offline database is for BD+ (Blu-ray, it was not yet used with UHD)
AACS keys (HD-DVD, Blu-ray, UHD) are stored inside the AnyDVD executable.

I think that's explaining the confusion since the bdplus directory was included at the same time but was redundant with the offline database. You should clean that up is my suggestion.

The offline database is for BD+ (Blu-ray, it was not yet used with UHD)
AACS keys (HD-DVD, Blu-ray, UHD) are stored inside the AnyDVD executable.
That's great but I didn't notice any space increase regarding the main program.

Back