• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Any news of BD+ support?

Just a quick response that we in the states do find "most" of our BD's and HD DVD's for $25 and under if we look hard enough. That's why importing for me at current exchange rates is rather brutal. (And I still say that the current exchange rate is OUR fault not the fault of anyone else in the world.) If we go to a big box retail store, they're going to charge up to $35 in some cases. I personally have set a limit that if I can't find a movie for $25 or under, I generally will wait unless it's something I *REALLY* want.

As for the high cost of living over there, you're talking to someone who lives in one of the highest taxed states in the US, so, I can relate a little to high taxes. But people who b!tch about high taxes don't seem to understand that you USUALLY get something in return for the high taxes...usually a better standard of living! As you said, free health care and a decent minimum wage. And because your companies aren't paying for health care like ours in the US, they can afford to give you higher wages. This is simple economics. NOTHING is free...it's paid one way or another. And in the UK, it seems to me anyway, that you pay for things with higher taxes. Here in the US a lot of my fellow country men and women balk at higher taxes yet they demand the same kinds of services you're getting in the UK. Our entire country is economically challenged. Look at our current federal debt level. It's insane. Anyway, this is off topic completely, but, I do agree iwth you about the higher prices vs higher wages idea.

I registered just to counter this BS. I live in the UK and your completely exaggerating the situation!

So you're saying that HD DVDs\Blurays cost £25 for the cheapest and £35 for the latest ones at HMV....lol.....

That is why people don't actually shop there unless they are desperate or inner city yuppies on 100K+ sallery, besides I think you'll find that they actually ALL COST £25. I've not seen any costing £35 (Or £34.99, or £29.99 for that matter).

....How did you convert £25 = $70, can you not count. Even £35-$70 doesn't go right, do youm know what the current exchange rate is?

HMV only sell at RRP or higher anyway....
<snip>
I dunno, just sick of people who have no idea what their talking about thinking they have some god given right to fill forums and stuff on the internet with "what they think".

If you don't "know" - please shut up.
I am confused. You register to give an overtly aggressive response like that, saying what I had posted about HMV and Virgin as both BS and laughable.

Have you actually been inside Virgin and HMV to check their prices?. I think you will suddenly avert your aggression to this store and their ridiculous prices.

There is the possibility that the HMV/Virgin store you went into had different prices than mine, for example I know London stores do sell things cheaper than stores up in the north of England (we always get the shaft up here with regards to prices).

I am saying I myself went into Virgin (Zavvi) and HMV and I with my own eyes saw the latest released Blu-Rays on sale for £30 and a few were also £35. I went into them both as I received £50 worth of vouchers as a gift from a couple of relatives for Christmas, these vouchers could only be used in HMV/Virgin stores, and not HMV/Virgin internet stores.

....How did you convert £25 = $70, can you not count. Even £35-$70 doesn't go right, do youm know what the current exchange rate is?
I did not convert £25 to $70. I converted the maximum I saw which was £35 to the dollars amount. The post I was replying to commented on the maximum American Dollars for a Blu-Ray. So I commented on the maximum pounds for a Blu-Ray in the UK.

The exchange rate for a long period was around £1 = $2. Only this week has it dropped to £1 = $1.94.

So £35 = $70 (only at a direct £1 to $2 rate conversion). But as the exchange rate fluctuates constantly around the £1:$2 ratio this is why I placed a proportionately sign before the (~)$70 - Meaning not exactly $70 but around it. For example doing a quick, but exact, online currency conversion of £35 now with XE.com works out as exactly $68.57. I think nobody but you would take offense for me saying that was proportionally $70 :)

Finally as a general rule in life, if you disagree with someones points, even if they are right or wrong with what they have said, its not the best etiquette to aggressively insult/ridicule a persons comments like you just have.

from http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?p=51369#post51369

"While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters."

Consider this a warning.:policeman:

And this goes for everyone: keep the discussion civil, or I will lock this thread and start issuing bans.

You can disagree with each other, but please be respectful. Thank you.

I am confused. You register to give an overtly aggressive response like that, saying what I had posted about HMV and Virgin as both BS and laughable.

Have you actually been inside Virgin and HMV to check their prices?. I think you will suddenly avert your aggression to this store and their ridiculous prices.

There is the possibility that the HMV/Virgin store you went into had different prices than mine, for example I know London stores do sell things cheaper than stores up in the north of England (we always get the shaft up here with regards to prices).

I am saying I myself went into Virgin (Zavvi) and HMV and I with my own eyes saw the latest released Blu-Rays on sale for £30 and a few were also £35. I went into them both as I received £50 worth of vouchers as a gift from a couple of relatives for Christmas, these vouchers could only be used in HMV/Virgin stores, and not HMV/Virgin internet stores.

I did not convert £25 to $70. I converted the maximum I saw which was £35 to the dollars amount. The post I was replying to commented on the maximum American Dollars for a Blu-Ray. So I commented on the maximum pounds for a Blu-Ray in the UK.

The exchange rate for a long period was around £1 = $2. Only this week has it dropped to £1 = $1.94.

So £35 = $70 (only at a direct £1 to $2 rate conversion). But as the exchange rate fluctuates constantly around the £1:$2 ratio this is why I placed a proportionately sign before the (~)$70 - Meaning not exactly $70 but around it. For example doing a quick, but exact, online currency conversion of £35 now with XE.com works out as exactly $68.57. I think nobody but you would take offense for me saying that was proportionally $70 :)

Finally as a general rule in life, if you disagree with someones points, even if they are right or wrong with what they have said, its not the best etiquette to aggressively insult/ridicule a persons comments like you just have.
Actually going by UK regional pricing the SE UK tends to pay more than the rest of the UK for goods and services. The only time things may be cheaper is when there is a sale on. Even looking on the HMV website the most expensive HD DVD I could find is £24.99 and the only Blu-ray above £24.99 is the Spiderman Trilogy at £29.99 and these prices were reflected in stores in Leeds, Brighton, Oxford Street(London) and Bristol. The only thing I can think of is that the price of £35 must have been a TV series box set which I didn't look out for as I would expect to pay more for a series

I registered just to counter this BS. I live in the UK and your completely exaggerating the situation!

So you're saying that HD DVDs\Blurays cost £25 for the cheapest and £35 for the latest ones at HMV....lol.....

That is why people don't actually shop there unless they are desperate or inner city yuppies on 100K+ sallery, besides I think you'll find that they actually ALL COST £25. I've not seen any costing £35 (Or £34.99, or £29.99 for that matter).

HMV only sell at RRP or higher anyway....

Why not check out http://www.hotukdeals.com

There's a good few HD DVDs\Blurays for between £9-£14 (Yes new ones too)

And I think you'll find the RRP for HD DVDs\Blurays in the US are between $40-$50 a pop NOT $25.

The cost of living in the UK isn't "far higher" than the US. It is "higher" but you retarded lot don't understand that the average income in the UK is "far higher" = average as in the median average, not the total average taking, that would take into account the fat cat salleries a lot of americans are on....I'm talking about your average person = not those pepple who live in posh sub urban settings in american films with nice trees by the road and what not.

Cost of living in the UK has actually been decreasing for years and increasing in the US.

...I know my comments are load of waffle, but hey just to draw a parallel...

PC hardware...

In PC World a soundblaster X-Fi Fatality costs £149.99!!! How much does it cost online, nearly half that.

You can't compare shop prices anymore to how much stuff costs online.

To SamuraiHL...

We've been paying over the odds for years but we get 1 year statutory warranty, we get free health treatment, we have laws that protect people, we have a minimum wage that is reasonable (just over $9 an hour)...

DVDs when they first came out cost £17-£23

How much now, less than a tenner....

I dunno, just sick of people who have no idea what their talking about thinking they have some god given right to fill forums and stuff on the internet with "what they think".

35.00 GBP

=

68.5683 USD

get a grip

UK prices are high-------------compared to our Dollars.

so If I get a movie which I usually pay @ local shot for say.

25.00 CAD

=

12.5151 GBP

take a note from your own last words at the bottom of the post buddy

get a grip

take a note from your own last words at the bottom of the post buddy

I MEAN IT!!! Be respectful in here. If someone posts something confrontational, upsetting, or rude, do not get angry and sucked into a flame war. Let me or another moderator deal with the problem please.

And this goes for everyone: keep the discussion civil, or I will lock this thread and start issuing bans.

Last edited:
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I'm only going to post relavent posts from now on.

Some forums are Canada, and some are North Korea.

Robot #3453 mark 4 reporting to bay station hive.

Last edited:
You can get Blurays and HD DVDs very cheap in the UK if you order them from the many Jersey retailers, for example Die Hard is available for less than 10 £ including shipping, thats a very good price for a disc that has only been released 2 months ago and there are lots of other movies available for under 10 quid.

The cost of living in the UK isn't "far higher" than the US. It is "higher" but you retarded lot don't understand that the average income in the UK is "far higher" = average as in the median average, not the total average taking, that would take into account the fat cat salleries a lot of americans are on....I'm talking about your average person = not those pepple who live in posh sub urban settings in american films with nice trees by the road and what not.
I'll thank you not to call me a "retard". I have family and friends that have lived in the UK, and I have family currently living in the US. Australia has a high priced real estate market - but that aside our cost of living falls lower than the UK, and hither than the US.
In PC World a soundblaster X-Fi Fatality costs £149.99!!! How much does it cost online, nearly half that.

You can't compare shop prices anymore to how much stuff costs online.
Then all you're proving is that the cost of living is much higher. Online prices are not much different to retail prices for Australian retailers.

And you expect online prices to be a bit cheaper anyway, since there aren't as many overheads.
We've been paying over the odds for years but we get 1 year statutory warranty, we get free health treatment, we have laws that protect people, we have a minimum wage that is reasonable (just over $9 an hour)...
Yes, but we have the 2nd highest minimum wage in the world!

Nice post, hope you stick around. Peace.
But people who b!tch about high taxes don't seem to understand that you USUALLY get something in return for the high taxes...usually a better standard of living! As you said, free health care and a decent minimum wage. And because your companies aren't paying for health care like ours in the US, they can afford to give you higher wages.
That's just unbelievable. Either you are joking or you really don't realize that the USA's health care is one of the worst in the world. You see a doctor for free in the UK you know!

I'm not saying Australia's perfect - we're not the best - but we do have universal health care; something the USA does not - and in fact, in other forums, other Americans have told me before that universal health chare is "impossible". I don't think they realize that it does exist all over the world - and that even Canadians refuse to cross the US border without first taking out private health care.
I agree, there's no point in arguing if you can't be respectful.

Warning: Completely off topic insane anti UK rant

Chosen entirely at random, first estate agent I found, cheapest 3 bed detached house they had
(OK I screwed up, I couldn't even find a 3 bed detached house in the UK for $260k)

3 bed terraced house in UK $260,000 (totally scummy)
http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=0&pid=379242&agentid=02461

3 bed detached house in the USA $114,000 (looks really smart)
http://livingchoices.com/detail.aspx?LID=101-537529670&refer=homegain&sid=11771D5A6100

Let's not have any more silliness about the price of a budget graphics card, etc.

I know which house I would choose to live in!

PS
If anyone feels they can do a more constructive comparison than I have to try and prove I am wrong .........
Please go ahead, I would be only too happy for someone else to demonstrate to me that I don't really live in the scummiest most expensive and repressive rippoff country in the western world where I can't even afford to buy a garage.

Last edited:
Actually going by UK regional pricing the SE UK tends to pay more than the rest of the UK for goods and services. The only time things may be cheaper is when there is a sale on. Even looking on the HMV website the most expensive HD DVD I could find is £24.99 and the only Blu-ray above £24.99 is the Spiderman Trilogy at £29.99 and these prices were reflected in stores in Leeds, Brighton, Oxford Street(London) and Bristol. The only thing I can think of is that the price of £35 must have been a TV series box set which I didn't look out for as I would expect to pay more for a series
The websites for HMV and Virgin sell the HD-DVD's and Blu-Rays considerably cheaper than in store. For example The Searchers is £17.99 online at both HMV and Virgin. But I can remember this one is £25 in both stores.

I know its not important. But I will be going into town on either Tuesday or Wednesday. I will post back the titles on sale in Virgin and HMV for £30/£35 just to keep my reputation of someone who doesn't make unsubstantiated claims intact :) .

You can get Blurays and HD DVDs very cheap in the UK if you order them from the many Jersey retailers, for example Die Hard is available for less than 10 £ including shipping, thats a very good price for a disc that has only been released 2 months ago and there are lots of other movies available for under 10 quid.
I know this is not what you are meaning. But my being in a pedantic mood today (specifically as my last post got such a lambasting by Bobo) but Jersey is not part of the UK or even technically part of Europe.

Wikipedia.com said:
The defence of all these islands is the responsibility of the United Kingdom. However, Jersey is not part of the UK, nor the European Union, but is rather a separate possession of the Crown, comparable to the Isle of Man. Jersey belongs to the Common Travel Area.

So like we're doing with importing from America we Britts are importing our DVD's from outside the EU to get cheap disks. We are just lucky as the channel Islands have a customs agreement in place so we don't get charged plus UK VAT taxes are not added to these disks too.

But If you look at any website that is based inside the UK mainland the cost of HD-DVD's and Blu-Rays is considerably more.

Plus to add I know from reading news articles online a while back that shortly there is to be something in place meaning that UK based companies can not have offshore warehouses to avoid paying taxes. Therefore HMV, Virgin and WHsmiths are going to be in big trouble and the prices on their websites will reflect what is in their stores. (But from what I was informed Play.com will be alright as this was originally a channel islands company).

The websites for HMV and Virgin sell the HD-DVD's and Blu-Rays considerably cheaper than in store. For example The Searchers is £17.99 online at both HMV and Virgin. But I can remember this one is £25 in both stores.

I know its not important. But I will be going into town on either Tuesday or Wednesday. I will post back the titles on sale in Virgin and HMV for £30/£35 just to keep my reputation of someone who doesn't make unsubstantiated claims intact :) .

Well as I stated I've checked my prices against those in HMV stores in those towns (I travel a lot for work) and they didn't come anywhere near £30. Yes sometimes the website can be slightly lower, but the majority of discs on the HMV site are around £17.99 and I don't see the instore price being over 1 third more. I can't say for the Virgin stores (or Zavvi as they're now called) as I havn't been into one of their stores lately, but the online site prices are around the same

That's just unbelievable. Either you are joking or you really don't realize that the USA's health care is one of the worst in the world. You see a doctor for free in the UK you know!

I'm not saying Australia's perfect - we're not the best - but we do have universal health care; something the USA does not - and in fact, in other forums, other Americans have told me before that universal health chare is "impossible". I don't think they realize that it does exist all over the world - and that even Canadians refuse to cross the US border without first taking out private health care.

Woa woa woa. You totally misunderstood what I was saying! I wasn't criticizing single payer health care systems, aka universal healthcare, at all! I think it's a great idea!!! No, what I was saying was that in the US people complain about high taxes in other countries and say that it's so evil and would destroy the economy and blah blah blah. But they fail to realize that those taxes are beneficial to society. I live in a high taxed state but we have a lot of social programs that really do benefit our people. My comment about higher wages was simply that if a company is not paying out the @$$ for healthcare for each employee, they can afford to give that employee a bigger wage. In the US, companies are forced to pay a LOT per employee for healthcare and obviously that money comes from somewhere. I think it's ABSOLUTELY INSANE that the US is the only industrialized nation in the world that doesn't have universal healthcare.

Back