• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Any news of BD+ support?

Doesn't that just seem....wrong to you somehow that *INDEPENDENCE DAY* is released earlier in EUROPE than in the US? I mean, that just doesn't seem right to me. :D

it's never been right, but part of the whole problem with region codes and the like..it surely doesn't make sense not to have the greatest coverage, but in the myopic minds of the studios, there's all these calculations they make on revenue streams that dictate release dates...another reason why bluray is not very consumer friendly...

Release the movies world wide at the same time in the theaters, and then 6 weeks later, release the movies region free world wide on HD and DVD. Revenue goes up, everyone wins. Seems hard to figure out to me. :D

SamuraiHL,

Why should the USA get the movies before Europe? We in Europe had to live with that situation reversed for decades and now what, you are jealous (?) because one or two movies gets released here first ? Maybe if even just some days before the US release? Do you know that 10-25 years ago - it was very common for movie theatrical releases to be 6 to 18 months behind USA release here in Europe? I can recall for example E.T. releasing in 1981 in the USA and we having it in theatres only late 1982 (december)... So don't tell me you feel treated unfairly ;)

Today we are seeing more simultaneous or almost simultaneous releases because many movies get distributed digitally vs. big film can copies having to be produced and shipped around the globe. However the main reasons lies in marketing (promotion campains: the actors cannot be everywhere around the globe at the same time) and distribution agreements/rights. That is why region codes exist aswell, but now with more and more simultaneous releases the reason for having a region code partly dissapears - now only the distribution agreements remain (albeit fairly important for the sector) ... Ofcourse, I also prefer movies that have no region restriction - but if they have it - it's not that hard to break anyway (thank you Slysoft and some people at the Doom9 forum ;) ). Better would be for them to add subtitles for more different languages (doesn't take up muchs space) also on the USA releases and do LESS dubbing - would be more interesting to playback my USA imported movies to some kids in the family (no dubbing would force people to atleast try to learn some other languages instead of making them lazy and feeding them crap - out of lipsynch - dubbed movies with sometimes terrible voices of actors that return time and time again ...) .

SamuraiHL,

Why should the USA get the movies before Europe?

Because we made them? :)

We in Europe had to live with that situation reversed for decades and now what, you are jealous (?) because one or two movies gets released here first ? Maybe if even just some days before the US release? Do you know that 10-25 years ago - it was very common for movie theatrical releases to be 6 to 18 months behind USA release here in Europe? I can recall for example E.T. releasing in 1981 in the USA and we having it in theatres only late 1982 (december)... So don't tell me you feel treated unfairly ;)

And in America we get BBC shows 6-12 months behind. I think that's fair as they're made in the UK. However, I think you miss the COMPLETE irony of a title called *INDEPENDENCE DAY* being released in the UK before it's released in the US. THAT is what I'm upset about, and only then half jokingly. You do know what Independence Day is for the US, right? I would hope? LOL

Today we are seeing more simultaneous or almost simultaneous releases because many movies get distributed digitally vs. big film can copies having to be produced and shipped around the globe. However the main reasons lies in marketing (promotion campains: the actors cannot be everywhere around the globe at the same time) and distribution agreements/rights. That is why region codes exist aswell, but now with more and more simultaneous releases the reason for having a region code partly dissapears - now only the distribution agreements remain (albeit fairly important for the sector) ... Ofcourse, I also prefer movies that have no region restriction - but if they have it - it's not that hard to break anyway (thank you Slysoft and some people at the Doom9 forum ;) ). Better would be for them to add subtitles for more different languages (doesn't take up muchs space) also on the USA releases and do LESS dubbing - would be more interesting to playback my USA imported movies to some kids in the family (no dubbing would force people to atleast try to learn some other languages instead of making them lazy and feeding them crap - out of lipsynch - dubbed movies with sometimes terrible voices of actors that return time and time again ...) .

I agree on this part completely and is indeed what I said should happen. Simultaneous release in the theaters, and simultaneous release on HD and DVD...world wide. I think this would go a long way towards cutting down piracy. (Tell me the Australians are happy to wait 8 months for a show to be broadcast that's already finished its run in the US) I think if we got the HD and DVD releases 6 weeks after the theatrical release, the studios would make a boatload more money and could cut costs on advertising. Think about the current situation. They release it in the US theaters, they advertise. 6-8 weeks later, they release in the UK theaters, they advertise. ETC for 6 months. Then, once all the theatrical releases are done, they start releasing it on HD and DVD, and again have to advertise because everyone's forgotten about it. WASTE OF MONEY. Advertise once, let it run in the theaters for 6 weeks, and then get it out to home release. The people waiting for the HD release aren't going to see it in the theater anyway, so, better to capitalize on the fact that they're going to buy it when it's released on home media. Saves advertising, cuts down on motivation for other countries to pirate. And with the space available on HD formats, subtitles for all would be a really good thing. Even more languages would be fine on Blu-ray. I'd rather see that than the atrocity that Disney is assaulting us with. 10 trailers on the Ratatouille Blu-ray? REALLY?? Is that TRULY necessary?! :D If I was in charge, this is the tactic I'd try. And then 2 weeks after the home release I'd pepper the PPV networks on cable and sat tv with the movies. That way you really capitalize all markets with one round of marketing.

SamuraiHL,

>>Why should the USA get the movies before Europe? - Because we made them

Hmm.. lousy excuse if you ask me. Anyway, you'd have some catching up to do if you compare titles that get released in the USA prior to an EU release methinks ;)

>>And in America we get BBC shows 6-12 months behind. I think that's fair as they're made in the UK. However,

Really? The irony is I could get Planet Earth (Blu Ray) and The Planets (DVD) from Amazon.com in the USA before I could get it from BBC's own shop in the UK - makes one wonder, doesn't it ;)

About the dubbing: you should see Silvester Stallone in Rambo or Rocky movies dubbed in French: same lame actor doing the voice over all the time. His voice is so lame it 's even funny - and they used the guy time and time again ;) Fortunately, I live in Belgium - out here they usually only dub the children's movies (Disney and such), and even then it often is total crap ... However: go across the border to Germany or France and a a very large percentage of the movies are dubbed. I prefer to use original voice, unless the dubbing is very good (e.g on some of the Hayao Miyazaki films I actually prefer the US dubbed version over the original Japanese).

Dubbing is one of the reasons why simultaneous worldwide releases will always be the exception rather than the rule. Consider the work that goes into a Disney movie, not only do you need actors speaking the roles, you also need people translating the music, singing it, etc... That takes time, and for many movies with the tight productions schedules that might mean missing the Christmas season or some other important season. And even for movies with simultaneous worldwide theatrical releases like Harry Potter 5 or Die Hard 4 they still don't manage to release them simultaneously on DVD. And it's a lot worse for TV shows. Prison Break Season 1 aired in Germany 2 years after US and therefore the DVDs were 2 year late too.

SamuraiHL,

>>Why should the USA get the movies before Europe? - Because we made them

Hmm.. lousy excuse if you ask me. Anyway, you'd have some catching up to do if you compare titles that get released in the USA prior to an EU release methinks

No sense of humor, I tell ya! :D

>>And in America we get BBC shows 6-12 months behind. I think that's fair as they're made in the UK. However,

Really? The irony is I could get Planet Earth (Blu Ray) and The Planets (DVD) from Amazon.com in the USA before I could get it from BBC's own shop in the UK - makes one wonder, doesn't it

BBC America SUCKS. I was watching Hex with my wife and BBC decided to break it up into 2 seasons...NOT like they did in the UK mind you, but, we got like 2 or 3 episodes into season 2 and they said "coming next year". WTF?! I went to the UK Amazon and simply bought the DVD set. :D Screw that!! Amazon rules. But, as I told James, with exchange rates the way they are, things are a bit more costly.

About the dubbing: you should see Silvester Stallone in Rambo or Rocky movies dubbed in French: same lame actor doing the voice over all the time. His voice is so lame it 's even funny - and they used the guy time and time again ;) Fortunately, I live in Belgium - out here they usually only dub the children's movies (Disney and such), and even then it often is total crap ... However: go across the border to Germany or France and a a very large percentage of the movies are dubbed. I prefer to use original voice, unless the dubbing is very good (e.g on some of the Hayao Miyazaki films I actually prefer the US dubbed version over the original Japanese).

The dubbing could be done when the movie is first made as part of production costs. We do it in software all the time. I18N. :) So, really, given the state of things today, that's not a great excuse anymore. You KNOW what languages you need, so, either sub them during production or dub them, but, either way, it can be done during post production. And yes, some of the dubbing is HORRIBLE, but, I will agree that the Hayao films are done very well.

But, as I told James, with exchange rates the way they are, things are a bit more costly.
No, that isn't the exchange rate. Remember the 17.5% VAT is excluded from your purchase. The DVD market is just much more expensive in the UK. So is petrol.

SamuraiHL,

On The Planets they replaced the original British voice-over on the US version
too :( Aargh ...

No, that isn't the exchange rate. Remember the 17.5% VAT is excluded from your purchase. The DVD market is just much more expensive in the UK. So is petrol.

Well, the British Pound is currently about 1.9 USD. The Euro is hanging around 1.5 USD. Those exchange rates don't favor us in the US at this moment in time. (No, I'm not whining about it. We did that to ourselves with STUPID governmental policies. The fact that the USD is falling is 100% our own fault) However, I just don't have the money to spend ordering imports. There are companies in the US that allow you to buy imports directly from them. The imports are typically 1.5x-2x higher than the US version. At those prices I'm not buying them. I personally think the HD disc prices are too high as it is. Anything over 25 USD and I *REALLY* have to like a movie to buy it.

I personally think the HD disc prices are too high as it is. Anything over 25 USD and I *REALLY* have to like a movie to buy it.
$25 works out at around £13 in the UK. People in the UK would rip the stores arms off grabbing them at this price.

Looking in HMV and Virgin over Christmas they were selling all their Blu-Rays and HD-DVDs starting from £25 (for old the old back cataloged stuff) to £30-£35 for the new good stuff.

The majority were £30.

So in the UK the same Blu-Ray you can buy in the US for $25 costs (if I convert it) ~$70

I hope anyone could agree this is why region coding on blu-rays is so annoying and I hope slysoft beats the pants of this and BD+.

$25 works out at around £13 in the UK. People in the UK would rip the stores arms off grabbing them at this price.

Looking in HMV and Virgin over Christmas they were selling all their Blu-Rays and HD-DVDs starting from £25 (for old the old back cataloged stuff) to £30-£35 for the new good stuff.

The majority were £30.

So in the UK the same Blu-Ray you can buy in the US for $25 costs (if I convert it) ~$70

I hope anyone could agree this is why region coding on blu-rays is so annoying and I hope slysoft beats the pants of this and BD+.

You totally get my support on that one! That's ridiculous. Who can afford to build a decent movie collection at those prices? If they really want people to buy more movies, they're going to have to reduce prices or live with the fact that the attach rate per player is going to be under 10 discs during its lifetime. Is that what they want? Somehow I doubt it. DVD was successful because the discs were reasonably priced. HD brings SOME value to the table, but, to charge twice as much as a DVD? Yea, how about NO.

The majority were £30.

welcome to rip off europe, everything is twice as expensive.
in all fairness though its not really the movie companies, the difference is mainly due to taxes :(

You totally get my support on that one! That's ridiculous. Who can afford to build a decent movie collection at those prices? If they really want people to buy more movies, they're going to have to reduce prices or live with the fact that the attach rate per player is going to be under 10 discs during its lifetime.
Once again you're living in the US, and seeing things "your" way. I could be the one to ask who could possibly afford to build any DVD collection if they're earning the US minimum wage of $5.85/hr.

The cost of living in the UK is much higher then the US, and their CD and DVD market is much more expensive. They most certainly buy a similar amount to us, or to you - regardless of price.
DVD was successful because the discs were reasonably priced. HD brings SOME value to the table, but, to charge twice as much as a DVD? Yea, how about NO.
See, you don't get it - their DVD market has always been about twice the price of the USA DVD market.

Also - the difference is not due to taxes. The UK has a 17.5% VAT on DVDs - we (Australia) have a 10% GST. You can compare the prices between AU/UK/USA/CA all you want - and even removing tax the UK is way more expensive.

The majority were £30.

I would never buy from HMV etc, go to Amazon.co.uk or Play.com, or even Asda.co.uk and get the films for on average around £17-18 ($35) which is the price for quite a few films in the US as well

The majority were £30.

I registered just to counter this BS. I live in the UK and your completely exaggerating the situation!

So you're saying that HD DVDs\Blurays cost £25 for the cheapest and £35 for the latest ones at HMV....lol.....

That is why people don't actually shop there unless they are desperate or inner city yuppies on 100K+ sallery, besides I think you'll find that they actually ALL COST £25. I've not seen any costing £35 (Or £34.99, or £29.99 for that matter).

....How did you convert £25 = $70, can you not count. Even £35-$70 doesn't go right, do youm know what the current exchange rate is?

HMV only sell at RRP or higher anyway....

Why not check out http://www.hotukdeals.com

There's a good few HD DVDs\Blurays for between £9-£14 (Yes new ones too)

And I think you'll find the RRP for HD DVDs\Blurays in the US are between $40-$50 a pop NOT $25.

The cost of living in the UK isn't "far higher" than the US. It is "higher" but you retarded lot don't understand that the average income in the UK is "far higher" = average as in the median average, not the total average taking, that would take into account the fat cat salleries a lot of americans are on....I'm talking about your average person = not those pepple who live in posh sub urban settings in american films with nice trees by the road and what not.

Cost of living in the UK has actually been decreasing for years and increasing in the US.

...I know my comments are load of waffle, but hey just to draw a parallel...

PC hardware...

In PC World a soundblaster X-Fi Fatality costs £149.99!!! How much does it cost online, nearly half that.

You can't compare shop prices anymore to how much stuff costs online.

To SamuraiHL...

We've been paying over the odds for years but we get 1 year statutory warranty, we get free health treatment, we have laws that protect people, we have a minimum wage that is reasonable (just over $9 an hour)...

DVDs when they first came out cost £17-£23

How much now, less than a tenner....

I dunno, just sick of people who have no idea what their talking about thinking they have some god given right to fill forums and stuff on the internet with "what they think".

If you don't "know" - please shut up.

Back