• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PowerDVD 8 and HD DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just noticing that one myself. I'm watching Transformers with my son, and it's DD+ and showing 192kbps. So I'm not sure if it's a display problem or if it's a decoding issue. I'll have to do some more investigating on this one. I don't know if I'll have time tonight or not. We'll see. We're getting there.

As for DTS-HD MA, it has been confirmed that it works fine. ;)

Same here, Transformers shows 256kbps for me, also the information bar in configuration menu when playing the movie tells 0Hz in the audio stream .. strange

I'm inclined to believe the display is simply wrong. I don't have a really good way of testing that theory though.

I'm inclined to believe the display is simply wrong. I don't have a really good way of testing that theory though.
My ears would agree with you.
If the stream was that degraded, I think I would have heard it! ;)

I'm not entirely positive on my system. It sounded ok, but, I've never really liked the Transformers' audio track to begin with. I'll do some comparisons with PowerDVD 7(uh, as soon as I reinstall it. Seems during the process of getting HD DVD to work in 8 I screwed something up in 7. Oops) This is one movie that I'd actually consider rebuying on BD when it comes out as they stated that the only reason we didn't get LPCM or DTS-HD MA was because it wouldn't fit on the HD DVD. As much as I like HD DVD, the limited space was an issue for SOME discs.

Same here, Transformers shows 256kbps for me, also the information bar in configuration menu when playing the movie tells 0Hz in the audio stream .. strange

Well, at least that way you got infinite quality of silence :D

But seriously, I've been known to be more of a skeptic about the audio differences of higher-bitrate, higher-resolution audio, but 192 kbps for a 5.1 soundtrack should be pretty noticeable, even by my standards. I think it's a display error, but I'll check too.

Ok, here's what I can tell you after doing a direct comparison with 7. Sound is fine. We're getting the FULL, WHOPPING DD+ 1.5mbps audio. YIPPIE. LOL. However, here's the thing that will probably get some of you to consider 8 a little more. PQ is noticeably better! Direct comparisons with 7 and 8 show that 8 has much better color quality than 7. I've noticed this on BD's, as well, but, definitely for HD DVD, too. I'm very pleased with this situation. :D

PQ is worse for me on 8 than 7.3. I cannot get acceleration to work at all and can't watch anything without stuttering.

PQ is worse for me on 8 than 7.3. I cannot get acceleration to work at all and can't watch anything without stuttering.

It sounds like you have issues that go beyond Transformers then. Make sure your video and audio drivers are up to date. What OS are you using?

I haven't found a significant difference in PQ in Win XP with an ATI X1900GT. It might be dependent on your graphics card and what options you have in your driver (like to let the individual program manage the color/contrast and stuff like that).

Could be. I can tell you I notice an improvement. I first noticed it with I, Robot, but, on the discs I've been watching tonight I've also noticed it. A direct comparison of the same scenes in 7 and 8 show a vast improvement.

It sounds like you have issues that go beyond Transformers then. Make sure your video and audio drivers are up to date. What OS are you using?
Vista 32 bit (fully updated), ATI 2400 Pro PCIe with Catalyst 8.3 and hotfix, AMD 5600+, 2 GB DDRII-800. Audio drivers are up to date as well.

Should be ok. I can't understand why you'd have any stuttering in PowerDVD 8. I'll assume hardware acceleration was enabled??

EDIT: Yea, it's been a long day. I can read. Really. :D There should be no reason the acceleration wouldn't work with that card. Can any of you other ATI people help him out here? I'm an nVidia person.

Has anyone got Autoplay in Vista working for HD-DVD to launch PowerDVD8 ?
Thanks
Nathan

Could someone upload a copy of the file HDDVDNav.ax from the old version 8 pse?

tnx!
'sig

Well i asked the question earlier and happy to say i figured it out. WARNING: THE FOLLOWING INVOLVES REGISTRY CHANGES AND I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE.

You need to make two registry entries and change one other.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\autoplayhandlers.

1) In the event handlers key, click on PlayHDDVDOnArrival and add the following string PDVD8PlayHDDVDOnArrival

2) Then in the handlers key, add a new key called PDVD8PlayHDDVDOnArrival. Copy all the strings from the PDVD8PlayBluRayOnArrival exactly except change the InvokeProgID string value to HDDVD (instead of Blu Ray) and at the end of the Action string value, change the number to -102 (instead of -101 found in the bluray string).

3) This last one is what took me awhile to find which in retrospect it shouldnt have. Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\HDDVD. You should have this key if you have a previous version of PDVD 7 ultra installed. Change the DefaultIcon value so the link refers to powerdvd8 not powerdvd (make sure to change in both the folder name and the .exe. Do the same for the shell string value. Rename the PlayWithPowerDVD key to PlayWithPowerDVD8 and change the string value for it to PowerDVD8. Lastly, in the Command key, again change the Default string value to refer to PowerDVD8 (both the folder name and the .exe).

Thats it. After that, PDVD8 will auto play HDDVDs and BR when an ISO is mounted.

Cheers.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I'm not sure where to add it in the registry.

Hi Guy's as a Newbie here who still buys HDDVD's

Any chance of a PM.. :bowdown:

EDIT: Many Thanks

Last edited:
thanks dharris! Makes my febble registery find "PowerDVD" and replace with "PowerDVD8" attempts look ordinary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back