Windows 10 1809 update: Known issues

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DrinkLyeAndDie, Oct 3, 2018.

1. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Retired Moderator

WCCF tech: Microsoft Blocks Windows 10 October 2018 Update on Devices with Intel 6th Gen and Newer Processors

2. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

I updated 2 computers yesterday and had no such issue, but that doesnt mean it didnt happen for others LOL

3. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL & Mod

4. DrinkLyeAndDie

The driver that is required was actually released on August 29. Not to confused with the driver update released on October 1st. That said, it's possible that they made a mistake in the article or some other anomaly.

5. DrinkLyeAndDie

6. Ch3vr0n

I've got macrium reflect to do a weekly backup of the entire C drive every sunday at 2 am, so even if that happens i can max lose a weeks worth. Though i probably won't let it even download until a saturday or sunday. (got updates postponed via GPE). That way i've got full control on what gets installed and when

KBJ2007 likes this.
  7. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

The My Document folder would be in the Windows.old folder if it did get erased.

8. Ch3vr0n

Nope, not according to the Reddit topics linked in the myce post. It's completely replaced with a clean copy or permanently deleted. Users checked Windows.old nothing was there

9. KBJ2007

KBJ2007 Well-Known Member

It's just a problem(potentially) with the Documents folder only and not any of the other Libraries? I just copied my Documents folder over to a network location just in case, I haven't received or forced the update yet.

10. DrinkLyeAndDie

Neowin has an editorial article discussing both issues plus a Task Manager bug.

Neowin: Windows 10 October 2018 Update issues highlight flaws in Microsoft's "seeker" deployment

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  11. Ch3vr0n

Read the Reddit topics, I believe some say it's NOT confined to just the documents folder

Sent from my Nexus 7 with Tapatalk

KBJ2007 likes this.
  12. FurryGuy

FurryGuy Well-Known Member

The upgrade didn't wipe my documents folder on the PC I finished up-dating, one is currently being updated with a third pending, but if it had I do a daily mirror image of the boot hard-drive(s) so restoring back to before I manually applied the update is easy.

The only bad thing about my back-up schemes and the software I use it creates additional backup sets when there is a major update to Windows like this one.

Ain't PCs grand? It's almost as if they are the masters and we are the slaves. ;)

13. DrinkLyeAndDie

14. DrinkLyeAndDie

I've re-titled the thread. It's now inclusive of all issues for the Windows 10 1809 update.

15. just curious

just curious Well-Known Member

I updated my Acer laptop to Build 1809

My documents were no longer in their prior location

I found them at the below location!

Acer/Users/*****/Documents

Update: Now my documents are available at their original location. When I checked right after updating to 1809 my documents folder showed as empty.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  16. DrinkLyeAndDie

Even Forbes is posting articles about the 1809 update:

Forbes: Avoid Windows 10 October Update Until You Do One Thing

The lost Documents folder issue is discussed and Task Manager bug. No mention of the Intel audio driver, however. There was also mention of an NVIDIA driver problem.

The latest driver? Which driver? That leaves me wondering if this is occurring with the 416.16 drivers given they were released on October 4th or the previous drivers. Given the date of the tweet I really don't know for sure. The 416.16 drivers do directly address 1809 compatibility as per the release notes.

17. just curious

just curious Well-Known Member

I edited post #15 as I found all my documents

I found them at the below location!

Acer/Users/*****/Documents

Update: Now my documents are available at their original location. When I checked right after updating to 1809 my documents folder showed as empty.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  18. DrinkLyeAndDie

19. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

I did 2 updates on different desktops and everything was transferred. Its probably specific manufacturers issue.

20. Ch3vr0n

well its a big enough issue for M$ to pull the plug on the outrol and possibly needing to build a new RTM