• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Why not rip DVDs to ISO?

dnr917

I have been ripping along with everything going fine. I came to my first DVD (the rest were Blu-ray) and I got the message that, among other things that I didn't understand, I should rip video disk to hard drive. Why can't they be ripped to ISO just like Blu-ray?

Because if a disc for example has structural protection, that will be copied into the iso. If you were to then burn that iso to disc it could cause playback problems. That's just one reason I can think off. Ripping to HDD removes that possibly. If you must have a DVD iso, use CloneDVD.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

To further what Ch3vr0n said...

The main reason it is discouraged so much is because [some/many] people simply don't know what they are doing. No offense intended but it's true. So, say they create an ISO and don't remove the structural protections and then go to burn the disc or process it on their HDD with another program like DVD Shrink without mounting the ISO and letting AnyDVD deal with those structural protections. Then the user runs into a problem and blames AnyDVD and posts here about it saying something is wrong with AnyDVD. Nope, the problem was with the method, being forgetful, and/or simply not being knowledgeable enough. So, the recommendation is to simply not copy DVDs to ISO via the AnyDVD Ripper functionality. In the end, it saves many people from a headache.

Last edited:
What about the option in the ripper to "Preserve Protections"? [when creating an image]

It's been awhile and I think there have been [some] changes to how the AnyDVD Ripper functions over time but if you are referring to the "Keep Protection Blu-ray / HD-DVD" checkbox then I wouldn't expect it to have any impact on creating an ISO from a DVD.

I have been ripping along with everything going fine. I came to my first DVD (the rest were Blu-ray) and I got the message that, among other things that I didn't understand, I should rip video disk to hard drive. Why can't they be ripped to ISO just like Blu-ray?

Because if a disc for example has structural protection, that will be copied into the iso. If you were to then burn that iso to disc it could cause playback problems. That's just one reason I can think off. Ripping to HDD removes that possibly. If you must have a DVD iso, use CloneDVD.

@dnr917
I've not seen so many DVD-ROMs with structural copy protection. Star Trek XI DVD-ROM (European version) at least, which went in cinema between years 2010-2012 has.

And "Fack Ju Göhte 2" / "Fack Ju Goehte 2" (European version) DVD-ROM at least has structural copy protection.
Several VOB files, .IFU and .BUP file) repeating itself side by side for eleven (11) times.
So It looks like that there are several pseudo file entries, (or some kind of multiple file links) within VIDEO_TS folder:

E.g. "Fack Ju Göhte 2" / "Fack Ju Goehte 2"
[VTS_03_1.VOB pointing to =>VTS_04_1.VOB and to =>VTS_05_1.VOB and to =>VTS_06_1.VOB , etc... (total 11 times, so ten file links to VTS_03_1.VOB)
VTS_03_2.VOB pointing to =>VTS_04_2.VOB and to =>VTS_05_2.VOB and to =>VTS_06_2.VOB , etc... (total 11 times), so ten file links to VTS_03_2.VOB)
VTS_03_3.VOB pointing to =>VTS_04_3.VOB and to =>VTS_05_3.VOB and to =>VTS_06_3.VOB , etc... (total 11 times), so ten file links to VTS_03_3.VOB)
VTS_03_4.VOB pointing to =>VTS_04_4.VOB and to =>VTS_05_4.VOB and to =>VTS_06_4.VOB , etc... (total 11 times), so ten file links to VTS_03_4.VOB)
VTS_03_5.VOB pointing to =>VTS_04_5.VOB and to =>VTS_05_5.VOB and to =>VTS_06_5.VOB , etc... (total 11 times), so ten file links to VTS_03_5.VOB)
VTS_03_6.VOB pointing to =>VTS_04_6.VOB and to =>VTS_05_6.VOB and to =>VTS_06_6.VOB , etc... (total 11 times), so ten file links to VTS_03_6.VOB)

See also screenshot Example_of_DVD_ROM_with_Structural_Copy_protection.jpg, You need to scroll down a lot, all those files don't fit on one screen , but with Picture program it will :D

So this is a problem when you copy the entire VIDEO_TS folder directly with "Windows Explorer" to HDD, it takes up much more HDD space, and it won't fit on any writable DVD.

To go around this problem you can make an iso which also includes the file links (or pseudo file entries, or whatever) with AnyDVD Image ripper (Rip to Image)
,still the iso has normal DVD size which fits on a DVD-R /DVD+R DL :)
I have burnt an iso with strutcural copy protection to a DVD+R DL, playing fine. But VLC player took a bit longer to play it.

But there might be a problem if you want to work with such an iso with multiple file links with another program (e.g. transcoding to another video format with better video compression)

If you have such ISO with structural copy protection, because you didn't use CloneDVD to make the iso image, you still can mount that iso in a Virtual disc drive (like Virtual Clone Drive) and make a new iso with CloneDVD or rip to HDD with AnyDVD.

I have the impression that AnyDVD file rip to HDD function has same file output as Clone DVD (option to copy all DVD features, menus , all langauges etc) , but CloneDVD rebuilds that directly to an iso in one process.

Attachments

• Example_of_DVD_ROM_with_Structural_Copy_protection.jpg
    Example_of_DVD_ROM_with_Structural_Copy_protection.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • Fack_ju_Göhte_2-DVD-ROM-AnyDVD-Status-Window.PNG
    Fack_ju_Göhte_2-DVD-ROM-AnyDVD-Status-Window.PNG
    31.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
'To go arround this problem'

Don't tell people to use the iso ripper on DVDs. Period. That's NOT what they should be doing. If you must have an DVD ISO use CloneDVD's ISO function. It cleans up the file structure (removing structural protection).

... and there is a reason AnyDVD warns people about ripping DVDs to ISO by default when using the AnyDVD Ripper. Ignore it at your own peril.

If you don't want people to use that function I suggest taking it out of AnyDVD problem solved.

Nobody said NOT to use that function at all. Just not on DVDs. The iso ripper is in fact the RECOMMENDED way for Blu-ray discs.

It's real simple.

- ripping Blu-ray: use the image ripper
- ripping DVDs: use folder ripper. Need an iso? Use CloneDVD's.

Also, you can use the "Rip Video disc to Harddisk" selection built into AnyDVD to rip the DVD you have onto your hard drive, and convert the resulting folder into an ISO using stuff like DVD Shrink and/or ImgBurn (both free) if you don't have CloneDVD2 (or don't want to use the program.)

I own (and use) CloneDVD2, but I still find DVD Shrink useful from time to time, as fellow Forum member Clams has showed me over the years online.

:)

Nobody said NOT to use that function at all. Just not on DVDs. The iso ripper is in fact the RECOMMENDED way for Blu-ray discs.

It's real simple.

- ripping Blu-ray: use the image ripper
- ripping DVDs: use folder ripper. Need an iso? Use CloneDVD's.

My very specific example: For Blu-Rays, I have been ripping to HD and then using Burnaware Pro to burn the results to a blank Blu-Ray. Is this better or the same as using the rip to ISO [for Blu-Rays]?

Neither. When ripping to folder you lose among other things the optimized file structure authoring plants do before manufacturing of the discs. If you want to create true 1:1 backups, rip to iso then burn that iso back to disc with your favorite tool. My personal favorite for all my burning needs is imgburn. And best of all, it's free.

Last edited:
Neither. When ripping to folder you lose among other discs the optimized file structure authoring plants do before manufacturing of the discs. If you want to create true 1:1 backups, rip to iso then burn that iso back to disc with your favorite tool. My personal favorite for all my burning needs is imgburn. And best of all, it's free.

[ImgBurn, I stopped using this because it has not been updated since June 2013] Thx for the tip about ripping to ISO for Blu-Rays. Unless there is some advantage with ImgBurn, [for Blu-Rays] I will rip to ISO and continue to use Burnaware to burn the image.

[ImgBurn, I stopped using this because it has not been updated since June 2013] Thx for the tip about ripping to ISO for Blu-Rays. Unless there is some advantage with ImgBurn, [for Blu-Rays] I will rip to ISO and continue to use Burnaware to burn the image.

Just because ImgBurn hasn't been updated since 2013 doesn't mean it's obsolete. Far from it. It's still the best overall burning software out there, IMHO, and it's free. As far as my use goes I haven't had any issues at all. And, best of all it allows you to pick the I/O interface which allows me to select ElbyCDIO which I believe is the better option. That said, people can use whatever software works best for them. :)

There's is naturally also the saying that applies here. 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it'. IMGBurn in current forum works perfectly. Afaik according to the forums there it's far from abandoned, just busy with other projects. An update is on the todo list.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Just because ImgBurn hasn't been updated since 2013 doesn't mean it's obsolete. Far from it. It's still the best overall burning software out there, IMHO, and it's free. As far as my use goes I haven't had any issues at all. And, best of all it allows you to pick the I/O interface which allows me to select ElbyCDIO which I believe is the better option. That said, people can use whatever software works best for them. :)
Thx! I am [was] confused about this. Normally, if something is no longer in development... But, that said, I used ImgBurn for a long time. I guess if nothing has changed in Blu-Ray structure over that period of time, then it's all good?

EDIT: Sorry, a little cross-post there...

EDIT2: The thing about ripping to ISO [for Blu-Rays]. Q: My ripping to HD and burning. Might this be the reason, I have had some "lag" when playing these Blu-Rays? I mean wait time before the disc is ready when first putting it in a Blu-Ray player? [Or, some "lag" at some later point]

Last edited:
It wasn't like ImgBurn was being updated every month, anyway. Looking at my archive there were 4 updates in 2008, 4 in 2009, 3 in 2010, and then it became 1 update per year in 2011, 2012, and 2013. As the software has matured there are less bugs to fix and the technology has stabilized... for now.

Good to hear that there is an update in the works and that other projects are being being dealt with. I haven't managed to read the ImgBurn forums in a long long time. :(

Thx! I am [was] confused about this. Normally, if something is no longer in development... But, that said, I used ImgBurn for a long time. I guess if nothing has changed in Blu-Ray structure over that period of time, then it's all good?

That's pretty much how I'd sum it up. There hasn't been a lot of change and the software is mature.

EDIT2: The thing about ripping to ISO [for Blu-Rays]. Q: My ripping to HD and burning. Might this be the reason, I have had some "lag" when playing these Blu-Rays? I mean wait time before the disc is ready when first putting it in a Blu-Ray player?

Ripping a Blu-Ray to ISO and burning should cause no issues as long as you have removed the protections. With respect to the lag some players and some discs can take longer to load. And authoring can also have an impact. When, for instance, titles (ie trailers and what not) are removed if you watch the loading the playback still navigates through the blanked titles which even though they are short and blanked can take some time to arrive at the menu.

Back