• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

What's the best way to verify rip integrity?

So what I was doing, which was keeping protection in order to seek 1:1 bit perfect copies was *actually* the worst thing to do, since it's actually the most risk-prone and unverified method.
Just to be clear, a decrypted copy is generally going to be quite different from the original disc and in no-way '1:1 bit perfect'. Aside from the actual AACS decryption process, the extent to which they differ depends on the AnyDVD options you have enabled (region code removal, BD-Live, removing trailers etc). Once you have created a decrypted copy, you are more or less locked to your originally chosen re-authoring options. eg: You can't remove region coding from a region-locked, decrypted copy of a disc Edit: This may have changed in 8.0.3.0. Some users have had issues in the past with the 'ScreenPass' protected discs which occasionally require updates to AnyDVD or the OPD. If you ripped a decrypted copy before the title was properly supported, you would need to rip it again from the disc once it was properly supported.

This is why I personally rip discs to a protected ISO, then rip a decrypted copy from the protected ISO file to check for any issues (I'll normally delete the decrypted copy afterwards). That way I can be reasonably confident that the protected ISO is a 1:1 copy of the disc. I always have the option to make a decrypted copy from the protected ISO with any combination of re-authoring options. If any protection updates are required for AnyDVD/OPD, I won't need to re-rip the physical disc. And if it is a UHD disc which is not currently supported, I can rip it once and wait for support.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, a decrypted copy is generally going to be quite different from the original disc and in no-way '1:1 bit perfect'. Aside from the actual AACS decryption process, the extent to which they differ depends on the AnyDVD options you have enabled (region code removal, BD-Live, removing trailers etc). Once you have created a decrypted copy, you are more or less locked to your originally chosen re-authoring options. eg: You can't remove region coding from a region-locked, decrypted copy of a disc Edit: This may have changed in 8.0.3.0. This has been problematic in the past with 'ScreenPass' protected discs which occasionally require updates to AnyDVD. If you ripped a decrypted copy before the title was properly supported, you would need to rip it again from the disc.

This is why I personally rip discs to a protected ISO, then rip a decrypted copy from the protected ISO file to check for any issues (I'll normally delete the decrypted copy afterwards). That way I can be reasonably confident that the protected ISO is a 1:1 copy of the disc. I always have the option to make a decrypted copy from the protected ISO. If any protection updates are required to AnyDVD I don't need to re-rip the physical disc. And if it is a UHD disc which is not currently supported, I can rip it once and wait for support.

I realize that a decrypted ISO won't be bit-perfect but it seems, based on linked threads and James' comments that an encrypted rip is actually less reliable than a decrypted one, partially because "sanity checks" are only conducted on decrypted ISOs.

My question is still basically the same: what's the best way to verify the integrity of my rip :(

The entire reason I want to rip an ISO is to have an artifact-free copy of my disc. If there is a "best way" to ensure a "verified best possible" copy of my data I'm trying to utilize it :)

I realize that a decrypted ISO won't be bit-perfect but it seems, based on linked threads and James' comments that an encrypted rip is actually less reliable than a decrypted one, partially because "sanity checks" are only conducted on decrypted ISOs.
You are correct that the first step of making the protected ISO doesn't seem to have the same checks as creating a decrypted copy of a disc. That is why I re-rip the protected ISO. By mounting a protected ISO and making a decrypted copy, AnyDVD will perform the same verification that is does on a physical disc. If this process completes without issue, your protected ISO can be considered verified. It isn't ideal that a 2-step process is required, but this way you get the both worlds: a bit perfect copy of your disc that you know passes the AnyDVD verification process. If you are still concerned at this stage, you could even have MakeMKV process your protected ISO to confirm it has no errors (but that is probably redundant)

You are correct that the first step of making the protected ISO doesn't seem to have the same checks as creating a decrypted copy of a disc. That is why I re-rip the protected ISO. By mounting a protected ISO and making a decrypted copy, AnyDVD will perform the same verification that is does on a physical disc. If this process completes without issue, your protected ISO can be considered verified. This way you get the both worlds: a bit perfect copy of your disc that you know passes the AnyDVD verification process. If you are still concerned at this stage, you could even have MakeMKV process your protected ISO to confirm it has no errors (but that is probably redundant)

I think I'm following you.

If I first make the protected ISO, then I try to use that ISO to make the decrypted ISO it should indicate that my protected copy is correct.

If I first make the protected ISO, then I try to use that ISO to make the decrypted ISO it should indicate that my protected copy is correct.
That is my understanding. If you haven't dealt with ISO files before, Virtual CloneDrive does seem to be recommended ahead of the ISO support built-in to Windows.

My question is still basically the same: what's the best way to verify the integrity of my rip :(

1. rip protected disc
2. disable and enable anydvd or open close tray.
3. rip protected disc again
4. compare hash
5. if hash same protected iso verified. if different repeat and compare until hash is same.

Option

6. mount verified protected iso
7. rip to unprotected files (no java or region fix)
8. rip again
9. delete disc.inf (has anydvd version will change in time then different hash)
10. imgburn files to iso
11. imgburn advanced>date>creation+modified+folder/filedates set to custom value. any value
12. imgburn files to iso again, same date
13. compare hash
14. if hash same unprotected iso verified

1. sometime two rip different hash and no errors. happen today for me with star trek #5 4k. 5 rip to get 2 match, 0 error report by anydvd. why? who know?
2. protected iso only. anydvd sometime change java files if decrypt or remove region code will not match hash if rerip.
3. must disable/enable or remove disc and put back to ensure clean rerip. ripx2 without this always same not count for verified.
4. sometime always different hash. reboot computer then can get same hash. why? don't know

Last edited:
Hi! was is the easiest way to compare the hash of two ISO's?
With Windows (10 + 11) build-in utilities:
Press Win + X -> select "Windows Powershell"
Code:
gci "FileOrFolderPathHere" | Get-FileHash
You can also grab the file or folder in Explorer and drop it in the Powershell window after "gci"

Or if you want to put the result into a file
Code:
gci "FileOrFolderPathHere" | Get-FileHash > Path\To\filehash.txt

Example:
Code:
gci U:\BD-Output | Get-FileHash > C:\temp\myfileshash.txt

Be aware that calculating filehashes from huge files like ISOs will take a considerable amount of time, like minutes, depending on your disk speed

When I find some time I will compare the results of the rips from an LG and a Pioneer. AFAIR I read that the Pioneers don't do that what you see with the LGs.

This site has been reported as unsafe​

Hosted by www.nirsoft.net

Microsoft recommends you don't continue to this site. It has been reported to Microsoft for containing harmful programs that may try to steal personal or financial information.

Well then :D
More likely that Microsoft doesn't like some of the programs there. Like password recovery utilities for Windows, Chrome, etc.

As James has stated. NirSoft is a well-known and trusted name like Russinov's Sysinternals. I've been using them for decades. Furthermore, these are utilities that are flagged as viruses/trojans. All of them reveal sensitive info (passwords/product keys) on your system. ;) ( quoted from Google)

Yea I know. I just found it hilarious that a full page block came up in Edge like "NOOOOO DON'T DO IT" LMAO MS really is a nanny state.

Thanks everyone! I think I'll take the Powershell route as cartman0208 suggested

I saw that ImgBurn has a 'verify' mode, do you think if I use it to compare a protected ISO rip straight to the original disc that's still in the drive, will it indicate a successful rip? or is it checking for something else entirely?

That won't necessarily work for many reasons. ImgBurn doesn't handle bus encryption. So unless LibreDrive is enabled, they won't match anyway.

It...might. As long as LibreDrive was active when you created the protected ISO and is also active before you attempt the compare with ImgBurn against the disc, theoretically it might work.

Back