• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

What's the best way to verify rip integrity?

There are a few parameters not to forget. Libredrive might actually bypass some of the firmware functions as James suspects. When I do my comparisons I will first try leaving Libredrive out of the game.

Then you're going to have to use a friendly drive and ensure that bus encryption is removed without LibreDrive. Which AnyDVD can do, but, then you are comparing a non-protected disc against a protected ISO. No workie.

Well, we're in the UHD section so I'm specifically talking about that.

It all started in the other thread about DVDs. Ran 3 times same DVD on a LG. No hash differences for all 3 protected ISOs. I just continue now with BD. But I suspect this happens only very rarely. And as DQ said- what gives if you have no visible impact on your video. More or less academic. But data is a different story.

So I tried a BD 2 times and ripped to protected ISO. Same result. The hashes on the LG are identical.

My summary:

- Occations that hashes with LG drives are not identical are really very rare.
- Not bit perfect rips don't show in the resulting video / movie. So this is more or less academic.
- If someone finds hashes that don't match on a disc with a LG drive,
it would be desirable if that person also owns a Pioneer drive to check if this drive always reads " bit perfect" compared to a LG drive. Comparing the hashes

And: Makemkv uninstalled. No Libredrive. Just to eliminate this parameter.

Not bit perfect rips don't show in the resulting video / movie. So this is more or less academic.
How can you know? Your rips are always correct. :)
In my experience (mostly with UHD/BD) the problem is, that the drive probably detects the read error but for some reason - firmware bug? faulty raid or sata driver? Faulty filter driver? - the read error is not reported and garbage data is transferred. As this is a large chunk of data this will certainly show in the resulting video.

In case of BD/UHD AnyDVD will immediately detect this during decryption and show a message box. If the error happens inside the media stream. With DVD it will not.

In my experience (mostly with UHD/BD) the problem is, that the drive probably detects the read error but for some reason - firmware bug? faulty raid or sata driver? Faulty filter driver? - the read error is not reported and garbage data is transferred. As this is a large chunk of data this will certainly show in the resulting video.

In case of BD/UHD AnyDVD will immediately detect this during decryption and show a message box. If the error happens inside the media stream. With DVD it will not.
You are very likely right since I never got a bad read. @Hoth80 : Did you play those files with the mismatched hashes? If yes, were they showing issues?

So I tried a BD 2 times and ripped to protected ISO. Same result. The hashes on the LG are identical.

My summary:

- Occations that hashes with LG drives are not identical are really very rare.
- Not bit perfect rips don't show in the resulting video / movie. So this is more or less academic.
- If someone finds hashes that don't match on a disc with a LG drive,
it would be desirable if that person also owns a Pioneer drive to check if this drive always reads " bit perfect" compared to a LG drive. Comparing the hashes

I'll test with a pioneer drive but I think it's likely that we need to use the same type of protection, or a damaged disc.

I wouldn't expect *every* disc to create hash hiccups.

I hash all my backups using a tool I wrote myself, that runs on Windows and Linux and supports many hash and checksum types. It will create, update, and validate the hashes for individual files as well as directory trees. The source and builds use to be available on the web until I got rid of my website.

I'll test with a pioneer drive but I think it's likely that we need to use the same type of protection, or a damaged disc.

I wouldn't expect *every* disc to create hash hiccups.
That's helpful only if you receive different hashes on a disc.

- Try to play vido file with mismatched hash from LG. Any distortions?

- Try to rip with a Pioneer. Any hash mismatch as occured on the LG?

James:
Disabled libredrive. About 100 disc rip ok, then hash error again. Not Libredrive.

On other forum is mention LG drive has "Jamless Play" which returns bad data as good. This is the cause? Damaged disc but firmware lies?

LG datasheet:

Jamless Play
A damaged disc can cause interruptions during movie playback. Jamless play technology automatically skips past damaged parts of a disc maintain smooth playback while reducing interruptions.

On other forum is mention LG drive has "Jamless Play" which returns bad data as good. This is the cause? Damaged disc but firmware lies?
I didn't know about this "feature". I am speechless.

I didn't know about this "feature". I am speechless.
That's what I also read somewhere and therefore it would be interesting if a Pioneer drive would report an error or would be going into retry mode in such cases.

That's what I also read somewhere and therefore it would be interesting if a Pioneer drive would report an error or would be going into retry mode in such cases.
Pioneer's PureRead, explicitly designed for CDs, is the closest equivalent to LG's feature.
Pioneer's decision to limit the speed for BD/UHD drives aims to enhance reliable data reading, especially from discs with minor flaws.
This isn't solely for rip-lock purposes.

Pioneer's PureRead, explicitly designed for CDs, is the closest equivalent to LG's feature.
Pioneer's decision to limit the speed for BD/UHD drives aims to enhance reliable data reading, especially from discs with minor flaws.
This isn't solely for rip-lock purposes.

I've got 5 different blu-ray drives from 4 different companies in my rig. I love my Pioneer the most by far, and the LGs the least.

I hash all my backups using a tool I wrote myself, that runs on Windows and Linux and supports many hash and checksum types. It will create, update, and validate the hashes for individual files as well as directory trees. The source and builds use to be available on the web until I got rid of my website
Nice! do you have it on Github?

Nice! do you have it on Github?
No, I use to have it on my own website, but I closed it years ago. I've been debating whether or not to put it on Github but, to be honest, I really don't feel like supporting it anymore.

No, I use to have it on my own website, but I closed it years ago. I've been debating whether or not to put it on Github but, to be honest, I really don't feel like supporting it anymore.
More than a few apps are on GitHub that for all practical purposes are no longer being supported by the original coder. Letting others whack at it for possible improvements, or even use AS-IS, is never a bad thing IMO.

It isn't as if you are paying for the GitHub setup, a bit of time to create a new repo and things are "golden."

But ultimately the decision to disseminate it or not is up to you. :Þ

Back