• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

What to do with files from PS3 Blu Ray Backup

It's slightly more involved than that. There is absolutely NO reason to rip with a PS3 if your intention is to burn an image. Why? That should be PAINFULLY obvious. If you have the ability to burn a BD, then you have the ability to rip one FAR easier than using the PS3!!!! No, it's for people who don't have a BD drive but want to play BD's on their HTPC. You read the ISO, using Linux or SAK, to an external hard drive, then plug the hard drive into your HTPC, mount the image, and you're good to go. Of course with SAK you may end up using the FAT32 file system. In that case, you'll need to recombine the image into a single file as it'll be split. Easy to do.

It's slightly more involved than that. There is absolutely NO reason to rip with a PS3 if your intention is to burn an image. Why? That should be PAINFULLY obvious. If you have the ability to burn a BD, then you have the ability to rip one FAR easier than using the PS3!!!! No, it's for people who don't have a BD drive but want to play BD's on their HTPC. You read the ISO, using Linux or SAK, to an external hard drive, then plug the hard drive into your HTPC, mount the image, and you're good to go. Of course with SAK you may end up using the FAT32 file system. In that case, you'll need to recombine the image into a single file as it'll be split. Easy to do.

If you have a PS3 then you already have a way to play BluRays. Or is the archive thing the "cough, cough" PAINFULLY obvious part.

If you have a PS3 then you already have a way to play BluRays. Or is the archive thing the "cough, cough" PAINFULLY obvious part.

You had mentioned something about burning the images ripped from the PS3. If you can burn an image, your burner can read an image which is WAYYYYYYY easier than using the PS3 in a convoluted manner to do so. That was the painfully obvious part. :) There are benefits to playing on an HTPC even though the PS3 can play them. AnyDVD offers some great functionality for one. And I don't have HDMI on my receiver, so, my HTPC can give me FAR better sound using analog 6 channel output than I get through SPDIF. So, if you don't have a way to read the discs on your HTPC but still want the ability to play them, SAK is very useful. That's what I was doing for a couple months before I got my LG drive.

I see. I'm just trying to get BDs ripped into my media server HDD to stream to my PS3 without having to re-encode 'em. While I've had some success I'm not totally happy with the results especially losing TrueHD & DTS-HD MA. I can do it. Of course, I realize this stuff is still in it's infancy and a year or two down the road there will be much easier ways to do it.

I'm not sure you can stream with TrueHD or DTS HD MA tracks. Also, if you have video that's VC-1, it will also fail to stream. IMO, some pretty big limitations that are deal breakers for me. I'd rather just make an ISO I can mount on my HTPC and go that route. I realize that's not a solution for everyone. Nonetheless, I think that streaming has too many limitations for me.

Yes... I do not have a BD burner/reader installed on my desktop so I'm using the PS3 to do this... but I'm not burning this image for this obvious reason. I'm simply copying it back to my desktop to strip everything out but the movie and the audio. Then remuxing it back into a m2ts format that the PS3 will understand. This takes up quite a bit of HDD space of course and I'm simply doing it to understand how the process works. Obviously this is a very inefficient way to copy BDs for playback. And right now it's not a viable solution to burn them either when blank BDs are roughly the same price as the actual BD itself. So... until burners come down in price as well as the blanks, this is strictly for knowledge.

I did, however, figure out how to do it without installing the PS3 SAK. Boot up linux but DO NOT log in... exit out to a shell and then run the raw disc copy to an external HDD. You might still receive the mount errors every so many seconds but since most of the services that operating the mounting process have not started, it will not eject the disc. But of course since this is a raw copy, it will take roughly the entire length of the disc plus some to copy. So a 3 hour movie will take a little more than 3 hours to copy. And since it's RAW, when you get it back to your desktop you'll have to rip it again, demux it, etc. etc. so the whole process could end up taking you between 4 to 6 hours. :)

So while ripping BDs from the PS3 is possible... it's not a viable solution in the least unless you're willing to spend a LOT of time doing it. I am very surprised , though, that Sony has made this so incredibly easy to do... playing multiple formats, installing a secondary OS, etc. Almost seems like they just don't care anymore about what you do with their product once you buy one. haha Not that I'm complaining but Sony is the last company I would have expected this from.

One comment. You don't need to rerip to demux it. Just mount your image and run the muxing operation against the mounted image.

I tried that but for some reason it wouldn't let me... I kept getting read errors. Maybe my copy of daemon tools is corrupt. Regardless, I still think this whole process (right now) is not very efficient. :)

I'll just rent, download, etc. until the price drops in all areas. haha

i hope this aint too late, but is this way of creating ISO using PS3+ubuntu still valid? i mean are there any newer ways?
im about to order my first PS3 and i would love to backup blurays to play on my HTPC.
btw regarding installing ubuntu on my PS3, does that kill the warranty or something? like if the ps3 broke and i took it back, are they gonna blame it on me for installing ubuntu?
thx alot

If you're only interested in ripping BD's, then ubuntu is overkill. You want to look into SAK (Swiss Army Knife). Google PS3 SAK and you'll find it. And no, I had to warranty my PS3 last Xmas and I had no problem at all. I had SAK installed. SAK is used to rip discs to either an external fat32 formatted drive or over a network (much slower). If using a fat32 external drive, then you'll get many segments of the movie (I.E. movie_a.iso, movie_b.iso, etc). When copying it to your NTFS drive on your HTPC, you simply join the pieces using the copy /b command.

thank u so much for replying..i do have a fat32 external hdd, but im not familiar with the copy /b command
could you please tell me whats the exact command and where to type it exactly?
do forgive me but im such a noob when it comes to PS3 or BD

Yea, sure. Like I said, you'll have a bunch of files on your fat32 drive once the image extraction is done on the PS3. Those all need to get joined into one file on your HTPC. So you'd do something like this:

copy /b d:\movie*.* c:\movie.iso

Where d: is your external and c: is where you want to copy it to.

EDIT: You can type that in your Start, run box.

perfect so far.
now when i get that iso, is it just like any iso? like can i mount it and open it to see whats inside? for example i wanna strip off extras and unneeded audio tracks (just like with normal dvds) can i still do that? or is there another special trick for this? like a special program or so

The ISO will be what I call a protected ISO. In my world, that's a good thing. :D But it depends on what you want to do with it. If your intention is to burn it, then this isn't necessarily what you want. Since you don't have a BD drive in your HTPC, else you'd not be doing this convoluted method, then burning's not an issue. You'll simply mount it with Virtual CloneDrive, making sure AnyDVD HD is enabled so it can remove the protection, and you're good to go. You should take a look at the guides in my signature for more information on these topics such as movie only backups and ISO creation. The ISO creation will give you more of an idea of what a protected vs unprotected ISO is. Movie only guide is good for making movie only backups to save space.

Back