• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

What to do with files from PS3 Blu Ray Backup

bbfn11

I have a HTPC and a PS3. My son uses the PS3 in his room and I want to use the backed up Blu Ray disk files from the PS3 that I obtained using Swiss Army Knife program installed in the otherOS on the PS3 to my PC with Power DVD and AnyHD DVD. The files are on a 400 GB USB hard drive formatted in FAT32. They are labeled on the hard drive as Blu Ray aa, Blu Ray ab, Blu Ray ac ect...ect.... I can not get any farther in my pc to have AnyDVD HD and Power DVD take these files and play them. Are the files ISO as they are on the hard drive or do I have to convert them somehow? I only want to play Blu Ray movies that I own on my PC without having to move the PS3 from my sons' room to my HTPC every time I want to watch a Blu Ray movie.

My response may or may not help you. Just warning you up front. :) I tried to get SAK to work on my PS3 and eventually gave up. What I did instead was install Ubuntu linux. I then connected an NTFS formatted external drive through USB and extracted a raw ISO image from the Blu-ray disc to my external drive. (Ubuntu natively can write to NTFS formatted drives). This solves the file splitting nonsense. In your case, you'll have to join those files together into one big ISO image which is a royal pain. I have used my method on several of my discs, including one with BD+ on it, and have had no problems at all. I just plug in the NTFS drive to my HTPC and mount the image with Daemon Tools. AnyDVD HD removes the encryption and I'm good to go.

Thank you for your quick response. So If I understand you right convert my external drive to ntsf, install ubuntu on ps3 otherOS? Then, what program do I use to make a ISO under Ubuntu? Is there a command to use? What is the procedure under Ubuntu?

Yea, let's see if I can help here...

To get Ubuntu installed go here:

http://psubuntu.com/installation-instructions/

Once you get Ubuntu installed and booted, you're going to want to plug in your NTFS formatted external drive and let Ubuntu recognize it. Then you'll open a terminal session(You'll find it under applications, accessories, terminal) and you'll want to modify the following command for your system:

dd if=/dev/scd0 of=/media/disk/name.iso

The if part is the Blu-ray drive on the PS3.
The of part is the path to your external hard drive.

Obviously change name.iso to whatever name you want to give it.

You will see no progress at all while this command is running and it will take quite some time to execute. When it's done, you'll have a ginormous iso image on your external drive that you can then mount in Daemon Tools on your HTPC. AnyDVD HD will then go to work and decrypt it for you and you can play it back as needed. If you have any questions, just reply back to this thread and I'll see what I can do to help.

Great! Thank you for the additional info. I will play with it now. I have never used linux before let alone Ubuntu. I just hope I set up the command line properly. Never done that before. I will let you know if any additional help is needed or how it ends up. Many thanks again!

Just make sure you follow the instructions in that guide in the first link. It'll make things easier. Do NOT download the desktop image for Ubuntu...get the alternative image. Otherwise it'll be a pain to get through the install. But this definitely works. I've used it a few times and had no problems at all. the only thing I couldn't do is fix the resolution in Ubuntu to use 1920x1080p, but, who cares...I'm just using it to rip my BD discs for now. Also make sure you understand how to boot back to the PS3 from the boot menu. I think it's 'boot-game-os' without the quotes if I remember right.

Question: When I went into the command line. I typed everything the same as you had except the name of the iso at the end. Ubuntu seemed to accept this as I have a bold curser blinkiing now and my external HDD is blinking as well. Did I type the command line correctly and do I just leave it until the external HDD stops blinking or will Ubuntu specificy that the transfer is done?

Sweet. :) Ubuntu will come back when it's done. You'll be sitting at the terminal prompt after it's finished. Sounds like you're on the right track there.

Success! Everything worked great. It will be nice now not to have to switch things around so much. Thank you for your help.

in ubuntu you can right click an iso file and you get an option
to burn it :D

well i use a usb burner and HDD that i share with my pc
of course you need a burner :D
all i am saying is that its a cool feature- usability may vary

Last edited:
But, burning a Blu-ray image that was created on the PS3 is usless because AnyDVD hasn't removed the protection. So, that disc would never play in a stand alone player.

yes you are right its useless in that regard
i just wanted to point out the option since it is otherwise
usefull to someone new to gnome desktop
i use it to burn cd's and dvd's (install ubuntu)

SamuriHL -

I followed your excellent instructions re installing UBUNTU on my PS3. Unfortunately, however, my install seems unable to mount/read from the DVD drive. Whenever I insert a Blu-Ray disc, it thinks about it for a while and then ejects the disc with a message that says "Invalid mount option".

Based on some information I found on the web, I thought the problem could be fixed by removing the "ISO9660" parameter from the "etc/fstab" entry for scd0, but now the system tells me I don't have the appropriate privilege to mount the disc.

Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Jim L.

Something's definitely not right there. Wait, ok, I think I understand. Ubuntu is not going to be able to mount the Blu-ray disc. It doesn't have UDF dirvers that are capable of doing so. Fortunately mounting the disc is not required for this process to work. You're simply dumping a raw image of the CD device. So, don't get hung up on trying to mount it. I would simply put the disc in the drive before booting Ubuntu, sign into Ubuntu, open a terminal window, and type the dd command. Don't worry about anything else.

This was extremely helpful and I got it all up, no problem. Currently doing a dd of one of my movies to see how it works. Once it's in the .iso I hope I can mount it with poweriso and then use anydvd to decrypt it.

Awesome. Glad I could help!

Awesome. Glad I could help!

Strangely, the first Blu-Ray that I tried, Bridge to Terabithia, worked fine and the image mounts and plays in PowerDVD Ultra.

However, the next two movies I have, 28 Days Later and Die Hard with a vengeance both seem to have problems. Mounting the images with daemon tools, if you play them in PowerDVD Ultra, it keeps saying "Door is open or disc is not present.".

Any idea how to get past this?

I was hoping to completely decrypt all my movies into directories and dump them to tape for safe keeping, but it's not cooperating. Using the "Rip Video DVD TO Hard Disk" option in AnyDVD resulted in a badly corrupted 28 days later. Terabithia did seem to work though.

--------------------

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.2.0.1)
DI5816I BML254J 1.0
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 1
Total size: 24438784 sectors (47732 MBytes)
Video Blu-Ray label: DIEHARD3_US
Media is AACS protected!
Media is BD+ protected!
Removed AACS copy protection!

---------------------

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.2.0.1)
DI5816I BML254J 1.0
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 1
Total size: 21613952 sectors (42214 MBytes)
Video Blu-Ray label: 28_DAYS_LATER
Media is AACS protected!
Media is BD+ protected!
Removed AACS copy protection!

Back