• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

What can be expected from hardware acceleration

Pete

Redfox Development Team
Staff member
The upcoming version of CloneBD will support various GPU acceleration modes.

I've run some benchmarks with an internal test version, that Elby provided us with:

- Test bed: Intel i7-6700 with integrated Intel HD 530 GPU
- Source and destination both SSD to reduce I/O impact on speed
- AVC 1080p to MKV 1080p (compressed down to ~75%), 1:59h video duration

• "conventional" transcoding in software mode:
    92 fps average @ 90% CPU, total duration: 31 min

• acceleration with on-board Intel HD530:
    209 fps @ 24% CPU, total duration: 13 min

• acceleration with nVidia GeForce GT 740:
    123 fps @ 7% CPU, total duration: 23 min

• acceleration with nVidia GeForce GTX 950:
    308 fps @ 17% CPU, total duration: 9 minutes!

So, the type of graphics adapter does matter quite a bit, as you can see. Note that the GTX 950 costs around 140-160 USD, so it's still affordable.

I find 9 minutes for transcoding a full 2-hour movie pretty impressive.

Note also, that AMD cards will be supported as well, so nobody will be left out, but the implementation was not ready at the time we tested this.
I'd expect similar results as with the nVidia family, we'll have to wait and see.

I'm running a GTX 980M, can't wait.

Last edited:
About time :D i got my 1080 on pre-order, seems the EU is a bit slow to get stock. i go from HDD to HDD, so i'm guessing it'll be anything from 10-15min. That's still half of what it is now, and 8x less then on my old system.

About time :D i got my 1080 on pre-order, seems the EU is a bit slow to get stock. i go from HDD to HDD, so i'm guessing it'll be anything from 10-15min. That's still half of what it is now, and 8x less then on my old system.
I think it has more to do with the CPU if you want better times and burns get a iNtel i5 or higher and lots of RAM have 16gig of DDR3-1866..I got a 970OC GTX and have no problem running CloneBD but I run from BD burner to SSD and back to BD burner.

I think it has more to do with the CPU if you want better times and burns get a iNtel i5 or higher and lots of RAM have 16gig of DDR3-1866..I got a 970OC GTX and have no problem running CloneBD but I run from BD burner to SSD and back to BD burner.

With the CPU only if you'll be using the intel HD graphics for encoding and then it's still technically not the CPU but the GPU part of it, burning has nothing to do with the CPU. That's between the source (HD drive) and the burner (speed you selected)

I'm ripping with anydvd to iso first and and then i'm going from 1 standard HDD to another (sometimes the rip target drive is an externarl USB 2 one and so is the target encoded drive) and i currently finish an encode (incl turning to iso) in about 30 minutes. With GPU encoding i expect that to be cut down to 20minutes tops.

No, once the acceleration is active, the CPU doesn't matter much any more.
GPU does all the work.
Note - in case you missed it - this is about the upcoming version of CloneBD. GPU Acceleration is not yet officially available.
With the current version, yes, it's down to the CPU.

I can't believe you are still waiting for that GTX 1080 card, it's been ages

The normal ones are coming in stock yes, but not the OC model :-(, but I can wait.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

I'd have just bought the normal one and overclocked it myself, especially as the OC Strix card is only overclocked by around 150Mhz and they are easy to overclock to much higher than that.

Yeah, if you've got experience with that stuff. Which I don't. I usually just spend a little extra and have it overclocked, tested and confirmed working and stable. I'm more of a literally 'plug and play' guy. I've got patience, it'll get here.

Hows the quality?
and, I presume it will fall back to software mode if you remote desktop into the transcoding pc.

The quality is impossible to know since the version with hardware acceleration isn't out yet. As stated in the op. Internal test version.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

Hows the quality?
and, I presume it will fall back to software mode if you remote desktop into the transcoding pc.

You will have to judge the quality for yourself, once it's released, there may be some speed vs. quality settings, that hasn't been decided, yet.

Remote desktop:
For CUDA (nVidia) it shouldn't make a difference at all.

AMD and Intel acceleration is tightly coupled to Direct3D/DirectX.
CloneBD will try to use DirectX 11, if available, otherwise fall back to D3D9.

The main difference is: D3D9 has this limitation of requiring an actual monitor attached to the session.
So I expect no such problems, if your host has DX11 (Windows 7+ should do).

How is the quality in general compared to CPU encoding ?
I know there was huge progress since the early stages of GPU encoding.
But is there still a visible difference at low bitrates compared to x264 ?

How is the quality in general compared to CPU encoding ?
I know there was huge progress since the early stages of GPU encoding.
But is there still a visible difference at low bitrates compared to x264 ?

I can't tell a difference.
Maybe if you go hunting for pixels that slightly differ, you'll find some, but that's for people who actively WANT to find flaws, not me ;)

Maybe they should let a few of the older Alpha and Beta testers have a go with it

The upcoming version of CloneBD will support various GPU acceleration modes.

I've run some benchmarks with an internal test version, that Elby provided us with:

- Test bed: Intel i7-6700 with integrated Intel HD 530 GPU
- Source and destination both SSD to reduce I/O impact on speed
- AVC 1080p to MKV 1080p (compressed down to ~75%), 1:59h video duration

• "conventional" transcoding in software mode:
    92 fps average @ 90% CPU, total duration: 31 min

• acceleration with on-board Intel HD530:
    209 fps @ 24% CPU, total duration: 13 min

• acceleration with nVidia GeForce GT 740:
    123 fps @ 7% CPU, total duration: 23 min

• acceleration with nVidia GeForce GTX 950:
    308 fps @ 17% CPU, total duration: 9 minutes!

So, the type of graphics adapter does matter quite a bit, as you can see. Note that the GTX 950 costs around 140-160 USD, so it's still affordable.

I find 9 minutes for transcoding a full 2-hour movie pretty impressive.

Note also, that AMD cards will be supported as well, so nobody will be left out, but the implementation was not ready at the time we tested this.
I'd expect similar results as with the nVidia family, we'll have to wait and see.
9 minutes to encode a movie. That's amazing!

Back