• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Video driver crashing continuosly and recovering

Did you ever take a look at the cpu utilization like I had asked earlier? That might give us a good clue on what's happening.

Did you ever take a look at the cpu utilization like I had asked earlier? That might give us a good clue on what's happening.

How can I record cpu utils and report them to you guys?
Any tools you recommend? I guess I should record it whilst playing the blue ray movie...

Start playing the movie then open up task manager. It will show you the cpu utilization for PowerDVD and other tasks. I'm leaving for the day momentarily but one of the others should be able to help you if you post that.

OK, I will do once the memory test is complete. So far it is running the 1st pass (42%) and displays 0 errors and no ecc errs.
As the only way to view the test is via the plasma, and I don' want it to burn in, will the test display the results when finished, or do I have to keep on watching it?
Thanks for all your help so far.

Memtest 8 passes no issues with memory. Gotta go now and buy 2 gb of Ram and see if that makes any difference....

Just my Two penneth... I'm running -

-Vista
-E6750 Dual Core @ 2.6Ghz
-4Gb Ram
-nVidia GT8500 (256Mb) Driver-175.19
-PowerDVD 7.3.4407.

No problems... I reckon it's y'er RAM (which gets eaten up by Vista)

If I do that, it won't see my hard disk and won't boot (still connected with IDE cable...)

1. If you're not running hard drives on Sata and you do have Sata ports, ensure that they are not set to be functioning as RAID in your motherboard's bios

2. Do get more memory

3. I would test for the nvlddmkm error message with

a) all memory sticks

b) 1 stick alone

c) the other stick

4. Try another video card

Bought the 2gig stick. No change.
When I play the disc, I get 50% CPU, then a spike to 100 AFTER the driver crashes. Memory usage now is 1.2 Gigs. HTPC is, obviously faster.
I also moved the sata cable from one of the red ports (2) to one of the black ports (2).
I have no idea how to make sure that the IDE Hard disk is not in Raid mode.

Bought the 2gig stick. No change.
When I play the disc, I get 50% CPU, then a spike to 100 AFTER the driver crashes. Memory usage now is 1.2 Gigs. HTPC is, obviously faster.
I also moved the sata cable from one of the red ports (2) to one of the black ports (2).
I have no idea how to make sure that the IDE Hard disk is not in Raid mode.

I'm not talking about your ide ports.

a) In your motherboard's bios, ensure Sata is set to function as "IDE" or "AHCI"--but not "RAID".

b) Remove all memory, except for the new memory you just bought. In other words, remove the old memory. Retest.

c) Visit your motherboard's website, and ensure you motherboard's chipset drivers are up to date

d) Do try another graphics card (perhaps yours is defective . . . I suggest testing running loops with 3dMark Vantage)

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about your ide ports.

a) In your motherboard's bios, ensure Sata is set to function as "IDE" or "AHCI"--but not "RAID".

b) Remove all memory, except for the new memory you just bought. In other words, remove the old memory. Retest.

c) Visit your motherboard's website, and ensure you motherboard's chipset drivers are up to date

d) Do try another graphics card (perhaps yours is defective . . . I suggest testing running loops with 3dMark Vantage)

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

a) there is no Raid option anywhere in the bios. There is not Sata option either. When you click on Sata, all you get is the option regulate the speed for it.

b) memory removed. One new 2 GB stick installed. Working fine

c) done, no change in performance

d) I don't have another BlueRay compliant graphics card around, and I don't have another motherboad with pci-x either, and the CPU usage seems to show that hardware acceleration is working fine (it so indicates also in Powerdvd where hardware acceleration is ticked.
I have an old graphics card (6600GT) in another PC (AGP) will probably install the blue ray drive in that one just to see what different behaviours I will encounter.

What PCI-x motherboard would you advise to use, if I decide to upgrade motherboard too, to get out of this mess?

I don't have another BlueRay compliant graphics card around, and I don't have another motherboad with pci-x either, and the CPU usage seems to show that hardware acceleration is working fine (it so indicates also in Powerdvd where hardware acceleration is ticked.

Simply because some program is indicatiing compliance doesn't mean the graphics card is working properly. Try 3dMark Vantage:
http://www.futuremark.com/download/3dmarkvantage/

You can also try 3DMark06: http://www.futuremark.com/download/3dmark06/

What PCI-x motherboard would you advise to use, if I decide to upgrade motherboard too, to get out of this mess?

I don't believe there's enough evidence to blame the motherboard at this point.

Last edited:
The message I receive from http://www.futuremark.com/download/3dmarkvantage/ when I provide my email address is an orb database error.
I think that the password issuing system is down.
I am downloading the 06 version.
Is it worth doing a fresh Vista install?
Please advise
- motherboard
- videocard
I should be buying.

I tried running 3Dmark Test
IDirect3D9 Create device failed: Invalid call (D3Err_Invalidcall)

Well, wouldn't you know, Maplin do not carry any silent videocards, was looking for a 9500 GT to test on my system.
So I am now going back to basics.
Dismanteled the PC back to hard disk, video card and blue ray drive.
Now we start again. If it still doesn't work, it HAS GOT to be videocard or motherboard.

I'd never buy a card from Maplins, to expensive, try getting one from Scan or Ebuyer (I assume you're in the UK) If you buy online and as long as you keep the packaging in perfect condition you can send it back within 14 days (UK distance selling laws)

The message I receive from http://www.futuremark.com/download/3dmarkvantage/ when I provide my email address is an orb database error.
I think that the password issuing system is down.

I'm having no issues obtaining the key at all. You need to provide an email address and enter the word displayed below.

Is it worth doing a fresh Vista install?
Please advise
- motherboard
- videocard
I should be buying.

I mostly use and recommend enthusiast overclocking/gaming hardware, which average users, understandably, don't want to pay the premium for, and Intel's Nehalem launch is not far off (which will force new adopters to probably buy DDR3). In my opinion, right now is the absolute worst time to be buying a motherboard because it's going to be outdated within several months.

Anyway, based on this post and your next one, you need to get that graphics card tested in another system or by someone to ensure it's working properly (get the card to run 3DMark Vantage or 3DMark 06). If the graphics card does work properly, then you can start formatting hard drives, reinstalling vista, getting your motherboard tested by a technician, etc.

I have reinstalled Vista, and removed all the card bar the videocard.
Played briefly the Batman movie, had a crash, but most definetly not as bad as it was before. I am going to install the audiocard later, and see how it impacts on performance.
I do not do gaming, so I really do not care about overclocking. My main interests are movies. Am thinking of buying the 9500 GT, does that support hardware acceleration?

Yea, the 9xxx series of cards has purevideo 2 which is good. I have an 8800 GT and it absolutely rocks.

Installed the audiocard, and performance is OK. I watche the last 25 minutes of Batman Begins, only had one single driver crash (that is still one too many for me...). Will order that 9500 after all, see if it improves things further. I was not really using the tv card anymore (got Sky HD and cannot record HD programs via Media Center).
Thank you all for your precious help so far, it is good to be able to watch Blue ray discs on my HTPC but my oh my, it was a little more challenging than watching the first DVDs...

The first DVD's I watched were on a hollywood real magic card. :) So the fact that blu-ray can be done with onboard video is awesome. The 9xxx series of cards will work well for it. Full hardware acceleration is very nice.

Back