• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Not a RedFox Issue Settings Dialog randomly opens on a different monitor from where AS is open

Drew2u

Issue: in my dual-monitor setup, the Settings dialog for AS doesn't always open on the same monitor where AS is open, but instead opens on the alternate monitor. Has anyone else seen this?

This is inconsistent, but happens frequently enough that I thought I'd ask if the developer team can find a fix for this...

My setup: I have dual monitors with high resolution and I tend to keep AnyStream open on my right monitor. Sometimes when I go to settings, the Settings dialog will open on the right monitor, where AnyStream is open. More often than not, though, the Settings dialog opens on my left monitor.

So then I'll move AnyStream to my left monitor, use it there and settings will open on the left monitor... until randomly Settings will open on the right monitor while AnyStream is still on the left.

(This causes problems for me because I often use Remote Desktop from a laptop to get to my primary computer to do something in AnyStream, but when Settings is on a different screen from my remote desktop session, I have to then reconnect/adjust how I see my desktop and apps. I know ... "first world" problems!)

My troubleshooting: I haven't figured out how or why Settings will just randomly show up on the alternate monitor. Both of my monitors are set to 2560x1440 resolution, in case that matters, but I've also tried to recreate this by lowering my screen resolution and it's happened at lower resolutions, too.

Request: Can the dev team make a change to the UI so that the settings dialog only opens on the same monitor/screen where AnyStream is open?

PS Happy Easter to all who celebrate!

PPS I didn't provide a log as this can happen when I'm not even downloading anything, simply opening Settings is enough for it to occasionally open on the alternate monitor. I can generate a log the next time this happens if needed.

Your issue is not AnyStream its your dual monitor setup.

Thanks for the quick reply, but in what way is my dual monitor setup the issue? Can you provide more info and what the remedy is?

I use multiple programs in a dual-monitor setup where the app is open on a single monitor and the settings dialog from those apps always and only open on the same monitor as the app.

AnyStream is my only app where Settings sometimes opens on the same monitor as AS, and other times opens on the other monitor.

I have no idea what your issue is. I run dual monitors all the time and I have no issues.

Sooo, what's your primary monitor?
I, too, have two displays, but Anystream always opens at my primary, as do it's settings.

That's good it's working as expected for you.

Hoping to hear if anyone else has encountered this and maybe they have a solution/fix...

Without seeing your setup and looking at where you have your cable win your video card it's impossible to troubleshoot your issue, it's not an AnyStream issue. Maybe you need a KVM switch.

Sooo, what's your primary monitor?
I, too, have two displays, but Anystream always opens at my primary, as do it's settings.

I have two physical monitors and 3 screens - see image below.

Display screens #3 and #2 in the attached image are on a single Samsung Ultra-Wide monitor. Display #1 is a Samsung TV/monitor at a lower resolution. (Windows sets the IDs for the monitors.)

Display #3 (my leftmost screen) is set as my primary desktop, with all other displays set to extend desktop to those displays.

I only open AnyStream on displays #3 and #2, on the Ultrawide monitor, and the Settings dialog only opens on these same displays. I've never had it open on Display #1.

Desktop Setup  Screenshot 2024-03-31 135711.png

So in simple words:
You run Anystream at #2 and when opening AnyStream Settings, those open at #3 (primary), right?
I observed that also, but it is expected for new windows to open on the primary screen.

So in simple words:
You run Anystream at #2 and when opening AnyStream Settings, those open at #3 (primary), right?
I observed that also, but it is expected for new windows to open on the primary screen.
You're summary is correct, but with the twist that occasionally AS Settings will open on #2 where AS is running, so it's inconsistent when it opens on the Primary. Sometimes settings is on the same screen as AS, other times it's not.

I did try to keep AS only on my primary screen #3-left, thinking Settings will always open there and the problem is solved, but it still happens every once in a while that Settings will then open on #2-right while AS is on #3-left, so I'm baffled.

Like I said earlier, "first-world" problems, not the end of the world. It's just an inconvenience when I remote in and settings and AS-main UI are on different displays...

@cartman0208 and @RedFox 1 - I appreciate you both taking the time to review and look at this. I'll be heading to family dinner in a couple minutes so I'll be offline, but will check back in tonight.

Thank you!

Has been noticed in the past:

That is because people do not know how to set up a dual monitor setup. In the thread you referred to that member is a pretty smart guy. He did get it figured out with a KVM switch.

1. Right-click on the desktop
  2. Select Display settings
  3. In the left navigation panel, select Display
  4. The available monitors will appear as numbered boxes
  5. Select the numbered box you want to be the main display
  6. Scroll to the bottom and check the box that says Make this my main display
  7. Click the X in the top right corner to close the page
  8. Select Start > Settings > System > Display
  9. In the Multiple displays section, select an option to determine how your desktop will display across your screens
  10. Click Apply to save the modifications

That is because people do not know how to set up a dual monitor setup. In the thread you referred to that member is a pretty smart guy. He did get it figured out with a KVM switch.
:LOL: In the spirit of today I will try to not take this as a dig at my intelligence.... :dance: :coolman:

1. Right-click on the desktop
  2. Select Display settings
  3. In the left navigation panel, select Display
  4. The available monitors will appear as numbered boxes
  5. Select the numbered box you want to be the main display
  6. Scroll to the bottom and check the box that says Make this my main display
  7. Click the X in the top right corner to close the page
  8. Select Start > Settings > System > Display
  9. In the Multiple displays section, select an option to determine how your desktop will display across your screens
  10. Click Apply to save the modifications

As shown in my post #8 above, I've already configured my displays to set the primary/main display. 🤷‍♂️

Has been noticed in the past:
Thanks for that thread link. I'll look into the Windows Manager that @Jimc115 referenced in the thread...

I wish you luck, but this is a settings issue in your Windows OS, not an AnyStream issue. Good Luck.

I have the same problem (little annoying bit I can live with it), it’s not really a screen settings problem. My primary is my laptop and I plugged a second screen on it where I open AS, each time I open the settings it is on the first screen and not on the screen where AS is opened while in the same time I have no problem when I download something because the download menu opens on the screen where AS is opened.
Not sure if something changed, I noticed it only a few weeks ago, I don’t remember it was like that before.

Windows doesn't seem to have any desire to fix this.....not surprising. You can currently get cables that are not active....(One Way Transmission) so your computer doesn't see it.
Right now, they are limited to DP 1.2 and HDMI 1.4. Otherwise, when your screen is sleeping, it still knows it's there. There is a setting on many monitors that state they do not send a signal when off, but in my experience, most all still do. So, if you re looking for a quick less expensive method....non-active cables will work. If you to don't want to change anything...use the example below....This problem doesn't just happen with AnyStream. It is a bug in Windows.

Press Alt+Tab to select the lost window, then hold the Windows key and tap the left or the right arrow key to snap the window back onto the screen. On Windows 10, you can right-click the taskbar and click “Cascade Windows” to move every window back onto the desktop.

There are also programs available that will keep your Windows open on the screen that you choose. If AS tries to open one monitor 2, you can set it to move to monitor 1.

Windows only seems to care about insuring your WINDOWS main window is open on your primary monitor. It doesn't really matter which monitor to choose and 1, 2, or 3...you can set any one to the primary display. If you set 1 as primary and two as extended. the cursor will flow beyond the right border of monitor 1. If you set 2 and your primary, your cursor will flow from the left of the screen to the other.

Hey all, I've been sick for a while and haven't posted a follow-up until now, but ... I did find a suitable and simple workaround to keep the settings dialog where AnyStream is displayed.

The Download dialog always shows up over the AnyStream UI and I've noticed that if I click on any title anywhere to bring up the Download dialog box, I can close the download dialog and immediately open Settings, and now the Settings dialog shows up over the AnyStream UI where I expect it to be. So that solves my problem of chasing down the Settings dialog on a different monitor when I remote in to my main PC...

It's a very odd workaround, but hey ... it's working. :)

Question? Is this computer a laptop and is the display labeled 1 your laptops display, and it is closed?

If it is, Try opening your laptop and then try to repeat your observations in that configuration. Or make sure that you have it enabled.
If it is a desktop, just disconnect the 3rd display if it is not in use.

Back