• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Samuri's *UN*Official SlyPlayer(tm) Thread

For me, an important feature would be to allow a different audio output than Windows' system default. I set Windows to use SPDIF so that I can use my receiver to decode and process everything. But I don't have HDMI on my receiver (or TV) so I use the analog outputs on my motherboard when I play blurays. PowerDVD allows me to set it at "6 channel" so that it uses the analog outs even though the system is set to use SPDIF. That's a big reason why I don't use TMT. TMT will only output sound if you set it as the same setting as Windows. If you choose 5.1 and Windows is set to SPDIF, there is no sound.
This is an option that's also important to me. I have a Lynx soundcard and use it as windows default (analogue outputs), but I use SPDIF from the motherboard in PowerDVD. WinDVD doesn't work this way and doesn't have a functional audio panel, so I had to stop using it when I got the Lynx soundcard.
In the future I may be interested in using HDMI from a graphic card for movies, but stick to Lynx for music and other applications.

I think you have it backwards. Usually players and decoders will let you choose SPDIF individually of the Windows setting, and Windows can be set to analog. PowerDVD has an SPDIF setting (though with later versions/builds their audio options became a mess, I don't know if it's working as it was before). TMT IIRC also has an SPDIF setting.

PowerDVD will use whatever audio setting you choose, regardless of what Windows is set at. If you have Windows set at analog and want to use SPDIF in PowerDVD then it will work like that, but the same goes in reverse; PDVD will use the analogs if you set it to even though Windows is set for SPDIF. On my system I have Media Center to output through SPDIF and PDVD to output through analog. That way I get the best of both; better sound and processing with the SPDIF and lossless audio from the analogs when watching bluray. I don't know if TMT will use SPDIF if the system is set to analog, but I know it will not use the analog if the system is set to SPDIF.

i am wondering if the slyplayer will be able to bitstream DTS-HD,
Dolby TruHD without PAP comatible audio- or videocard ?
Or will still something like the Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD
be needed ?

If SlyPlayer supports bitstreaming, which I believe they said is currently the plan, you will not need PAP equipment to do it. Work is already being done in ffdshow to get bitstreaming working without PAP. It's just a matter of time before it happens.

Thanks for answering, that would be really great. I can't wait to
test the SlyPlayer :D

I think everyone is anxiously waiting. I'm sure they'll get there eventually. It will be nice when it's released for sure.

If this has been repeated then I am seconding an opinion.

Needs:
  • region free
  • Ability to use my hdmi out on my laptop so I can watch on my TV.

One thing that eternally frustrates me is security. I don't even understand why I can't use my HDMI output on my laptop? I get some sort of security warning. My laptop and my TV are both HD (max, not 720). WTF is going on? The movie industry has too much money to be able to restrict personal freedoms.

Last edited:
This is a pretty good writeup on why HDMI sucks. And these guys sell their own brand of HDMI cables! I love BJ Cable.

A possible stopgap

It seems ffmpeg/mplayer have made some advances in playing back HD-DVD/Blu-ray, which may be of interest to some that are waiting on slyplayer

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzcwMQ

At first glance it seems as if they still can't decode the iso/playlists/menus and you have to feed mplayer the .evo/.ts files you want played in the order you want them played.

I did this for a while but found it was (somewhat) better to just boot into an XP partition from my mythfrontend and use Cyberlink's v8 player + HD hack to play the disk images. For me, this probably hasn't changed. But it's another vector of progress.

(1st Post, be gentle)

Really looking forward to SlyPlayer.

I may upset a few people here, but why will it be free?

If it does these things:

1) Allows me to play .m2ts files
2) Allows proper 24p
3) chucks out un-touched DD-HD and DTS-HD over HDMI

And generally just bloody works, I'd pay for it.

I've been messing about with HTPC's for 7 years and only recently it looks like a solution may come.

I don't care about UI or any other crap, just a player that I can assign as the default player for .m2ts files.

Is there a recommendation as to what hardware to get as I am looking for a new Graphics Card?

ATI HD 5750 or nVidia 210/220 for example?

I don't fancy shelling out £200+ for the Xonor or Auzentech Cinema HD sound cards. I have an Auzentech Prelude thinking this was my solution. Yes it's great at analog stereo so I will keep it.

I wish it plays mkv files smoothly on my low capacity computer so i wouldn't need to buy CoreAVC.

I wish it plays mkv files smoothly on my low capacity computer so i wouldn't need to buy CoreAVC.

What you guys have to remember is that high definition material is very data intensive. High bit rates are used to process all that data and unless you have hardware acceleration (by gpu for example) or a kick butt processor and ram, you are going to get studder or rough playback.

Windows 7 can play m2ts files natively but performance sucks on anything but the best cpu setup. So even though you can easily make mkv's out of blu ray rips, and find players that support that container, don't expect smooth playback unless you decrease the bitrate.

That's why most of us use ISOs for our backups because the iso appears as a disk to the player of choice which kicks in hardware acceleration.

It would be nice if SlyPlayer can utilize hardware acceleration for mkv, m2ts files.:D

each month I come here to get some information about progress on slyplayer and to get a date of release of a beta ... but each month no news ...

what is the officiel information about release date ? release date is not for 2009 ?

I would like to add a feature request for slyplayer: The ability to change resolution and refresh rate on startup and exit. The reason is this- it would be nice to have a standard computer screen at say 1080 60hz and have it switch to 1080 24p to have native 24p sent out for the tav or projector to deal with. And then, when it is closing/exiting, it sets the refresh back to 60hz so, say, MyMovies can go back to being displayed at standard computer resolutions.

Is this possible?

I'm not sure current displays can do that. It's not like with CRT's where you could set vertical frequency on three decimal positions. Unless the manual specifically states the display supports such vertical refresh (48 Hz, 72 Hz...) - like the 120 Hz TV's do (5:5 pull down) - it will always be some form of compromise.

EDIT: Perhaps someone here can explain to me something I've been wondering about myself lately - how can PAL TV's (say many 100 Hz Panasonic PDP's) support 24p True Cinema mode when 100/24 is not an integral number...?

Last edited:
Plasmas can also change refresh rates. The latest NA Panasonics do 48, 60 and 96 Hz, the EU ones even from last year did also 96, I think. The NA Pioneers do 60, 72, 75 and 100 Hz.

Back