• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Samuri's *UN*Official SlyPlayer(tm) Thread

All of us are eagerly awaiting SlyPlayer, but until then, have you tried MyMovies movie management software. It's free and does just about everything that you are wanting in your list above.

For some of us, you can pry our mythtv [remote] out of our cold, dead fingers. Very nice integrated, distributed media capture and presentation. Except for BD/HD-DVDs. At the moment I have to boot into a windows partition that has the God awful PDVD (8 I think, with some HD-DVD black magic tack on) to reasonably watch most HD content. A standalone slyplayer that could play the isos will be _so_ welcome.

With SlyPlayer you won't need to do this. You just select the title and play it. :D

James will there be a default title selection? Longest runtime title gets played automatically? That would be nice as it would play 99% of your movies without menus (woohoo!) straight away.

I, for one, would not miss menus much at all. I convert everything to movie-only form, in any case.

Absolutely.. menus schmenus..

He's not referring to SlyPlayer. He was telling James that MPC-HC already does some of the things SlyPlayer wants to do.

Yeah MPC-HC can play a M2TS file.. but it's a pain when the movie isn't in 1 big M2TS file, rather split across several.. especially branching titles like WALL-E

And like you say there's not DTS-MA support yet.

James will there be a default title selection? Longest runtime title gets played automatically? That would be nice as it would play 99% of your movies without menus (woohoo!) straight away.

Maybe this could be an option, but, one would also think you'd be able to select the title with the remote. ;)

Yeah MPC-HC can play a M2TS file.. but it's a pain when the movie isn't in 1 big M2TS file, rather split across several.. especially branching titles like WALL-E

And like you say there's not DTS-MA support yet.

The latest builds apparently handle seamless branching. But yea, DTS-HD MA is a thorn in everyone's side with there not being an open decoder for it.

The latest builds apparently handle seamless branching. But yea, DTS-HD MA is a thorn in everyone's side with there not being an open decoder for it.

With build 1296+ MPC-HC supports the blu-ray disc structure. I have dl'ed and built the code and confirmed it works (dl'ed 1299). I just went to file->open dvd and pointed it at my ISO image in my virtual drive and viola! Movie playback with subtitle support (using the MPC splitter).

Holy crap I didn't know MPC could parse BD structures already.. That's friggin awesome!

What do we need SlyPlayer for again? ;)

Holy crap I didn't know MPC could parse BD structures already.. That's friggin awesome!

What do we need SlyPlayer for again? ;)

A lot! :) Also note that I'm currently working with albain to help him get his bitstreaming support working for ffdshow. Yes, that'll work in MPC-HC or any other directshow player. (We're testing in MPC-HC curently). He's working on TrueHD right now. Best part? It SHOULD work with the ATI 4xxx cards as well as the 5xxx cards, and someone is now testing it on the ION chipset with the nVidia HDMI solution. :D However, this does not negate the need for SlyPlayer at all. It will bring some different things to the table that are vastly needed.

A lot! :) Also note that I'm currently working with albain to help him get his bitstreaming support working for ffdshow. Yes, that'll work in MPC-HC or any other directshow player. (We're testing in MPC-HC curently). He's working on TrueHD right now. Best part? It SHOULD work with the ATI 4xxx cards as well as the 5xxx cards, and someone is now testing it on the ION chipset with the nVidia HDMI solution. :D However, this does not negate the need for SlyPlayer at all. It will bring some different things to the table that are vastly needed.

Nice work! Is there a better place than http://xvidvideo.ru/ to get MPC-HC/ffdshow binaries? The sourceforge pages are always way behind current builds.. What I'm really looking for is just a build and a list of check-in comments.

No, that should be a good place to get it from. I'm not too up on this whole MPC-HC ffdshow thing so much. I'm still learning it myself. I now know enough to be dangerous but not much more. I've gotten it to decode TrueHD to bitperfect LPCM which is great. The bitstreaming effort albain is still working on. I've been providing him logs for each of his new versions. In any case, grab it from there and you should be good. I may move the MPC-HC stuff out of this thread into its own at some point when I get a chance.

I don't see why it couldn't. That'd be up to the SlyGods but certainly sounds feasible.

Nice work! Is there a better place than http://xvidvideo.ru/ to get MPC-HC/ffdshow binaries? The sourceforge pages are always way behind current builds.. What I'm really looking for is just a build and a list of check-in comments.

I was just there and there's a link for a nicely formatted change log. Also, sourceforge lists a change log in the code section. It also has links to all but the very latest builds. It's exactly what you are asking for.

I was just there and there's a link for a nicely formatted change log. Also, sourceforge lists a change log in the code section. It also has links to all but the very latest builds. It's exactly what you are asking for.

The changelog on xvidvideo.ru was always a little old.. and the site is down a lot of the time.

Thanks for the tip - Took a little digging but I found the sourceforge log here

Can't see any builds beyond 1249 though?

To add a few feature requests, these would be minor interface conveniences:

Remember last screen position, even if it's on a secondary display. I use an LCD monitor on my htpc and end up moving my existing player every time I open it, to the projector. Would be nice to have that annoyance in pdvd eliminated.

Then, I think the post #1 has sorta what I'd like,
Ability to move control playback ribbon to any location on the screen
, perhaps expand that and say anywhere on the desktop, so the controls could be on another display entirely (for those of us with more than one)

Third, though this may be something for way down the road. Include some basic calibration images in the program to show if things are working properly. We all can do things with our systems now showing still images, but, within a player, it would be nice to see crisp , "Generated" images vs one stored in a compressed format on a blu-ray disk.

If your're planning to include ffdshow and other codecs, please make a dummy roadmap of how to set it up. Printscreen and detailed explanation from beginning to end.

If your're planning to include ffdshow and other codecs, please make a dummy roadmap of how to set it up. Printscreen and detailed explanation from beginning to end.

I would second that with:

Documentation is a great feature and a feature multiplier.

It is a 'feature multiplier' because it makes the work in all the other features more valuable by making them more accessible to more people.

What I would like is a nice looking file-browser-menu.
E.g. in Zoom Player there is a file-browser and it works but pardon, it's ugly as hell :D
Yes, you could use e.g. MCE och VMC etc. but why run an extra program for such a "simple" feature.
I don't need TV input or weather channels etc.
I need a really good player like ZP and it wouldn't be bad if it also included some eyecandy :)

Otherwise I think the request-list match what I'm looking for in a player.

You can enter a Bookmarks feature to start custom discs without the presentation of the Trailer and warnings?

For example:
Starting the disc as usual and when the movie starts, press the keys (es CTRL + B) and store the start of the disc that title, creating a kind of Bookmarks

might want to drop CUDA support and go right to DirectCompute (part of DirectX) or OpenCL that way any hardware that supports one of those to will work, CUDA is limited to NVIDIA only

might want to drop CUDA support and go right to DirectCompute (part of DirectX) or OpenCL that way any hardware that supports one of those to will work, CUDA is limited to NVIDIA only

As far as I am aware CUDA support has never been planned in any of the Slysoft products.

Audio Suggestion

For me, an important feature would be to allow a different audio output than Windows' system default. I set Windows to use SPDIF so that I can use my receiver to decode and process everything. But I don't have HDMI on my receiver (or TV) so I use the analog outputs on my motherboard when I play blurays. PowerDVD allows me to set it at "6 channel" so that it uses the analog outs even though the system is set to use SPDIF. That's a big reason why I don't use TMT. TMT will only output sound if you set it as the same setting as Windows. If you choose 5.1 and Windows is set to SPDIF, there is no sound.

I think you have it backwards. Usually players and decoders will let you choose SPDIF individually of the Windows setting, and Windows can be set to analog. PowerDVD has an SPDIF setting (though with later versions/builds their audio options became a mess, I don't know if it's working as it was before). TMT IIRC also has an SPDIF setting.

Back