• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Samuri's *UN*Official SlyPlayer(tm) Thread

Yes, the very latest builds do it (>1287). Still some work on-going to let you pick the desired item and the desired seemless "stream" e.g choose between "Director's cut" and "Theatrical cut". At the moment it chooses the longest playlist I believe.

hmm interesting, I'm running 1290 I think. So you can't choose the playlist then? How do you make it play? just play as a disc?

First one will likely only play titles - no menus. Certainly no Java menus. I'll be very happy if it plays smooth and with audio in sync. ;)

I'm sure you know this, but what will make SlyPlayer unique IS the ability to play Blu-ray WITH menus. I know you are talking of a first release, but most (certainly many!) of us already have smooth reliable playback of mt2ts...
I agree w/Jong. Playback of m2ts is easy, getting the menus to work has been the bane of other players...

hmm interesting, I'm running 1290 I think. So you can't choose the playlist then? How do you make it play? just play as a disc?
"Open DVD" (sic). Just point at the virtual drive/root folder.

I agree w/Jong. Playback of m2ts is easy, getting the menus to work has been the bane of other players...
We'll probably get there over the years.... ;)

I, for one, would not miss menus much at all. I convert everything to movie-only form, in any case.

Menus are an opportunity for mischief.

Perhaps an adhoc menu generation sytem that ordered by decreasing program length with generated thumbnails for disambiguation...

full ack. Just for the purpose of playing m2ts there would not be the need of a new player at all.

Menus are an opportunity for mischief.
They are also the only easy way to tell what the heck you've got on the disc. It's often times very difficult to tell what you've got, when all you can do is play individual m2ts files.

They are also the only easy way to tell what the heck you've got on the disc. It's often times very difficult to tell what you've got, when all you can do is play individual m2ts files.

Well, SlyPlayer will do a bit more than playing individual m2ts files - which doesn't work well anyway.

Well, SlyPlayer will do a bit more than playing individual m2ts files - which doesn't work well anyway.

Actually now it's working remarkably well. You can get full TrueHD and LPCM audio, subtitles, DXVA or if you prefer you can tweak the video RGB conversion with ffdshow for quality that approaches madVR (but you lose DXVA). The only "problem" right now is DTS-MA and HR decoding, but the DTS core is always present, unlike TrueHD. Even seamless branching seems to be working for many movies (like Ratatouille which doesn't have two versions) (hat tip to Jong).

Actually now it's working remarkably well. You can get full TrueHD and LPCM audio, subtitles, DXVA or if you prefer you can tweak the video RGB conversion with ffdshow for quality that approaches madVR (but you lose DXVA). The only "problem" right now is DTS-MA and HR decoding, but the DTS core is always present, unlike TrueHD. Even seamless branching seems to be working for many movies (like Ratatouille which doesn't have two versions) (hat tip to Jong).

I'm NOT a tester. Are you saying SlyPlayer decodes the LOSSLESS
audio Codecs to LPCM.

If So - I can't wait to get it. I need that
bouncy.gif

I'm NOT a tester. Are you saying SlyPlayer decodes the LOSSLESS
audio Codecs to LPCM.

If So - I can't wait to get it. I need that
bouncy.gif

He's not referring to SlyPlayer. He was telling James that MPC-HC already does some of the things SlyPlayer wants to do. In this case you can pop a disc in with TrueHD, open it in MPC-HC with ffdshow installed, and if configured correctly it'll allow you to play the movie with bit perfect LPCM out to the receiver and subtitles. It will not do DTS-HD MA as of yet as there is no decoder for it. James has said the priorities may change for SlyPlayer initially and that bitstreaming may happen. If albain's efforts in this area are any indication, it looks as though bitstreaming is going to be possible on the ATI 4xxx series of cards in addition to the new 5xxx series of cards. This is rather exciting.

He's not referring to SlyPlayer. He was telling James that MPC-HC already does some of the things SlyPlayer wants to do. In this case you can pop a disc in with TrueHD, open it in MPC-HC with ffdshow installed, and if configured correctly it'll allow you to play the movie with bit perfect LPCM out to the receiver and subtitles. It will not do DTS-HD MA as of yet as there is no decoder for it. James has said the priorities may change for SlyPlayer initially and that bitstreaming may happen. If albain's efforts in this area are any indication, it looks as though bitstreaming is going to be possible on the ATI 4xxx series of cards in addition to the new 5xxx series of cards. This is rather exciting.

Thanks Samuri for the clear and precise info. :rock:

Subtitle Shift!

Hello,

please think about adding a subtitle-shift function. (Like Philips BD Player can do it.)

This is a importand function for all 21:9 screen users, and believe me, there are a lot out there.
Even for 16:9 users it'll be a nice thing to shift the subtitles into, or out of the picture.

I noticed integration to XBMC as a request. Please consider MediaPortal, also.

I use TMT at the moment but I'm frustrated with a few things: No automatic refreshrate change. No title information to an external text display (like title, time elapsed/remaining). Many HTPCs have a small VFD or LCD to show this information. These features would be more than welcome.

This is a long thread but I have read most of the posts and I am aware the features list does contain some of these items already but I just wanted to mention my own hopes for this application because I've been waiting for something like for over a year and a half now and spent hundreds of dollars on other products as well as hundreds of hours of time and never been able to accomplish what I hope for.

- BR Playback (sort of obvious) from archived BR files on the hdd, many have mentioned an ISO request but I hope we stay away from that. I still don't understand the attraction behind having ISOs when plenty of apps can simply play the files straight away. Mounting the ISO is just another additional step.

- SD-DVD Playback from archived files on the hdd

- SD-DVD upscaling/sharpening/post-processing - everyone calls it something different but essentially I would hope Slyplayer comes with the ability to clean up the SD-DVD image in the same way (or better :) ) than what PowerDVD's Ultra offers.

- Some type of integration with a front-end - if it is Vista Media Center so be it but at this point I really don't care. I just want the ability for my wife and kids to turn on the HTPC, see a list of movies and be able to click on one and play it with optimal picture quality. As it stands right now I can't even do that with the way Microsoft hijacks SD-DVDs in Media Center and when you can find a workaround to play a third-party player it won't enable the sharpening/post-processing/upscaling. This is far and away the most frustrating issue I've had over the past year and a half.

Ultimately, I am eagerly awating the Slyplayer. If it is anywhere near as quality a product as their others it will be great.

All good ideas, but just a reminder to all so we can set expectations, SlyPlayer is not going to have all the functionality requested right from the start. It will likely start out very very basic and grow over time. So, when it's released, try not to get too disappointed if it doesn't cook you breakfast. :)

This is a long thread but I have read most of the posts and I am aware the features list does contain some of these items already but I just wanted to mention my own hopes for this application because I've been waiting for something like for over a year and a half now and spent hundreds of dollars on other products as well as hundreds of hours of time and never been able to accomplish what I hope for.

- BR Playback (sort of obvious) from archived BR files on the hdd, many have mentioned an ISO request but I hope we stay away from that. I still don't understand the attraction behind having ISOs when plenty of apps can simply play the files straight away. Mounting the ISO is just another additional step.

- SD-DVD Playback from archived files on the hdd

- SD-DVD upscaling/sharpening/post-processing - everyone calls it something different but essentially I would hope Slyplayer comes with the ability to clean up the SD-DVD image in the same way (or better :) ) than what PowerDVD's Ultra offers.

- Some type of integration with a front-end - if it is Vista Media Center so be it but at this point I really don't care. I just want the ability for my wife and kids to turn on the HTPC, see a list of movies and be able to click on one and play it with optimal picture quality. As it stands right now I can't even do that with the way Microsoft hijacks SD-DVDs in Media Center and when you can find a workaround to play a third-party player it won't enable the sharpening/post-processing/upscaling. This is far and away the most frustrating issue I've had over the past year and a half.

Ultimately, I am eagerly awating the Slyplayer. If it is anywhere near as quality a product as their others it will be great.

All of us are eagerly awaiting SlyPlayer, but until then, have you tried MyMovies movie management software. It's free and does just about everything that you are wanting in your list above. It's a very Media Center friendly software and works very well with Media Center remotes. Of course, you need to have third party player software if you are playing high definition video. My combination of MyMovies and TMT3 has been a very wife and kid friendly setup where they just click on MyMovies in Media Center. This will present them with a list of videos they can watch. Click on the video icon and watch the movie.

Frankly, if there were an easy (easy = less than 3 min of my time) way to create a complete m2ts container from a BD with the the "view" (video/audio, particularly with subs) that I wanted I'd be relatively happy. At least I could shove that into mplayer and get something decent out.

But then I'm sure a less fugly solution is the magic y'all are working on :)

Frankly, if there were an easy (easy = less than 3 min of my time) way to create a complete m2ts container from a BD with the the "view" (video/audio, particularly with subs) that I wanted I'd be relatively happy. At least I could shove that into mplayer and get something decent out.

But then I'm sure a less fugly solution is the magic y'all are working on :)

Please look at ClownBD here on the forum. Piece of cake to what you're asking. In less than 3 minutes of your time. (Obviously the process takes a while to run, but, the user interaction in the beginning is very painless.)

Back