• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Discussion Sad news for Cyberlink's PowerDVD users.

Cyberlink has just released PowerDVD 23 back on January 25th, but your point still stands.
Considering I really didn't follow PDVD news all that closely because until very recently I had no intention of upgrading from PDVD 17 to PDVD 22.

Well, I did, and now with what Cyberlink is doing with playback restrictions I will be a bit more interested, but still not "obsessed."

Considering I really didn't follow PDVD news all that closely because until very recently I had no intention of upgrading from PDVD 17 to PDVD 22.

Well, I did, and now with what Cyberlink is doing with playback restrictions I will be a bit more interested, but still not "obsessed."
The only reason that I've been telling people to get PowerDVD 22 Ultra while you can is the nonsense that Cyberlink is doing now, @George++.

I'm glad that not only are you're getting one of the last box copies of the software, but with the help of @SamuriHL, you won't have to worry about Cyberlink removing 4K UHD Blu-ray disc/ISO/folder playback, even though you don't really do any of that.

It's still nice for you to have that option if you ever decide to playback any 4K UHD Blu-rays in any manner as you see fit.

M'ok, my box of PDVD 22 Ultra is expected to arrive on Tuesday, 13 Feb. I have PDVD 17 (don't know the exact edition) already installed. I know it is more than than just PDVD, I have other apps like Power2Go, etc. Apps I never actually use. I received the install disc years ago bundled when I bought a PC drive.

My question is, if you decide to accept the mission, should I uninstall PDVD 17 and then install PDVD 22? Or just install PDVD 22 on top of the installed PDVD 17?

I am thinking about getting rid of the other apps no matter what since I don't use them. Freeing up my boot drive's space isn't a bad idea.

M'ok, my box of PDVD 22 Ultra is expected to arrive on Tuesday, 13 Feb. I have PDVD 17 (don't know the exact edition) already installed. I know it is more than than just PDVD, I have other apps like Power2Go, etc. Apps I never actually use. I received the install disc years ago bundled when I bought a PC drive.

My question is, if you decide to accept the mission, should I uninstall PDVD 17 and then install PDVD 22? Or just install PDVD 22 on top of the installed PDVD 17?

I am thinking about getting rid of the other apps no matter what since I don't use them. Freeing up my boot drive's space isn't a bad idea.
You can keep PowerDVD 17 Ultra. Besides, PDVD 17 is usable for playing 3D Blu-rays, which PowerDVD 22 isn't capable of reading, much less playing.

As long as you're not trying to play both apps at the same time (and you shouldn't and couldn't because it would cause a bottleneck with your system) you can keep 17 on your system.

For example, I have PDVD 19 and 22 on one laptop, PDVD 13, 20, and 22 on another, and finally, I have PDVD 10, 18, 21, and 22 on yet another. None of them conflict with the other apps as long as I don't try to start them all up at the same time.

Also make sure that none of your apps are starting up with your system. That is also a major cause of any PC or laptop slowing down because they're eating up RAM resources.

You can keep PowerDVD 17 Ultra. Besides, PDVD 17 is usable for playing 3D Blu-rays, which PowerDVD 22 isn't capable of reading, much less playing.
3D I doubt I will ever "get into". I don't have a 3D capable TV, and am not likely to ever get one. Very fixed, very limited income.

But then I said the same thing about UHD/4K BD. I may not own any at the moment, but that may change since so much content is being released in 4K now.

I have 3 TVs, only one is capable of UHD playback. Don't have a standalone player, though. Each TV has a DVD and "regular" BD player box attached. Sometimes the DVD boxes play back DVDs better than the BD players. Go figure.

Last edited:
3D is a non-starter. The latest nVidia drivers, in fact for quite some time now, removed support for it. I'm fairly certain that's true of AMD GPUs as well but unsure since it's been decades since I bought one. And while there are hacks that can restore 3D in some of the nVidia drivers, afaik it doesn't work anymore. I have a ton of 3D blu-rays as I collected those before I moved to UHD but it's been probably 7 years since I last watched one. And I have stand alone players that'll deal with that if I need to.

Most of the content I watch is older movies and TV shows, so 3D is kinda of a non-starter for me. There is one BD set I own, the "Creature from the Black Lagoon" collection, that has the first movie in 2D and 3D.

Last edited:
Even sadder news for PDVD users now who waited to buy the Amazon box set of PDVD 22 Ultra, it is currently unavailable. And likely never to return even at a higher price.

3D is a non-starter. The latest nVidia drivers, in fact for quite some time now, removed support for it. I'm fairly certain that's true of AMD GPUs as well but unsure since it's been decades since I bought one. And while there are hacks that can restore 3D in some of the nVidia drivers, afaik it doesn't work anymore. I have a ton of 3D blu-rays as I collected those before I moved to UHD but it's been probably 7 years since I last watched one. And I have stand alone players that'll deal with that if I need to.
This is off-topic, but the solution is to not use PCs for playback. :)
There is nice player software available for Oculus / Meta Quest 3 or Pico 4 headsets. It decodes stereoscopic MVC in the headset and streams your movie from a Windows network share. You have a big 3D cinema screen in front of you inside the VR glasses. Sweet.

This is off-topic, but the solution is to not use PCs for playback. :)
There is nice player software available for Oculus / Meta Quest 3 or Pico 4 headsets. It decodes stereoscopic MVC in the headset and streams your movie from a Windows network share. You have a big 3D cinema screen in front of you inside the VR glasses. Sweet.
In a way I'd opine what you said James is very much on topic for where the thread has morphed.

3D in home has never been of interest to me, the cost of playback is prohibitive considering the meager availability of 3D content vs. 2D.

Can someone send me a link to a copy of the latest patch compatible with BD HD please ? afaik it's build 3214
I contacted some of the users having it but for unknown reasons nobody wants to share the link :(

it's a public patch, I'm not asking for anything illegal

According to the official Cyberlink website, the latest build for PowerDVD 22 Ultra is 3526, which came out on Monday the 22nd, and not version 3403 as of right now.

Please check to make sure that it came from official the Cyberlink website.
Of course 3526 is the latest, but the first without UHD playback. So 3403 might be the latest with UHD playback.

Quite simple. Once the protection is removed, powerdvd plays it just fine. There's no need to "update" powerdvd. It'll simply work from Disc, iso, or folder. The only thing going away in their "support" for uhd is their aacs license and the ability to decrypt uhd's officially.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
This is not true for PowerDVD 23.
I'm using AnyDVD to decrypt the disc, but PowerDVD 23 would not play it, complaining that "There is a disc with an unsupported format in drive F:"

This is not true for PowerDVD 23.
I'm using AnyDVD to decrypt the disc, but PowerDVD 23 would not play it, complaining that "There is a disc with an unsupported format in drive F:"
As shown, PowerDVD 23 doesn't even support playback of any 4K UHD Blu-ray disc/ISO/folder:

PowerDVD 23 requirements.jpg

Or as noted in this image:

PowerDVD 23 requirements_A.jpg

yes but the discussion was that this was just the ability to decrypt the uhd that has been removed, not the ability to play it.
At least for PowerDVD 22.
Now for PowerDVD 23, the ability to play decrypted UHD has been removed, too. I think it is worth mentioning it

I certainly have less than zero interesting in throwing more money at Cyberlink when their devs keep removing features I would consider needed. PDVD 22 will be "it."

Back