• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Ripit4me Gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats what I would like to know, is FixVTS still going to be updated? I have not seen a post by anyone in any forum relating to this.:confused:

I don't see why it wouldn't be. It was around before R4M and has nothing to do with the project at all. Finding the author and asking him on Doom9 is certainly possible. :)

Thats what I would like to know, is FixVTS still going to be updated? I have not seen a post by anyone in any forum relating to this.:confused:

I don't see why updates won't be released when they are needed. Right now one isn't. I seriously cannot see how there would be an issue with the program according to the DMCA since it is not a decrypter, ripper or burner. It just fixes mangled DVDs and thank god for that.

I don't see why updates won't be released when they are needed. Right now one isn't. I seriously cannot see how there would be an issue with the program according to the DMCA since it is not a decrypter, ripper or burner. It just fixes messed up DVDs and thank god for that.

Yea, I tend to agree. It's not like it'll work on an encrypted DVD structure...it has to be ripped first and that's what it seems "they" are concentrating on stopping. Besides, stopping FixVTS isn't going to solve the problem anyway...CloneDVD doesn't need it and the issue can be sidestepped by running your DVD through VobBlanker. (I haven't tested this theory, but, I suspect that if you were to rip with DVD Decrypter using a PSL file and then running that output through VobBlanker it would accomplish the same thing as FixVTS.) Jeanl is very active in the community so I don't think we have much to worry about. No updates have been required in quite a few weeks so that's positive. :)

I will also continue to use it until it just doesn't work anymore. I don't see that happening any time soon. What's a bummer right now is if there is a problem in the future, there is no longer a dedicated place to go for people to discuss it and try to work out a solution.

Looks like anything in the future that RipIt4Me could not handle, either DVDFab or AnyDVD could do it. Even though I'm in this forum, if RipIt4Me failed, DVDFab would be my first option to go to simply because it's still developed to work with DVD Shrink. I'm just not giving up that program to do my editing/compressing/encoding unless there was no other way it could be done. I bought AnyDVD, still respect it, but it's apparently moving in the direction to work less with DVD Shrink (and more with CloneDVD which I'm not particulary fond of), so for that reason alone I would only use it as a last resort (when all else failed). I haven't really seen that scenario happen because usually DVDFab will crack it before AnyDVD does (and usually RipIt4Me cracked it first).

Very said day to lose such a great program (RipIt4Me). The program was simply awesome.

Last edited:
You'll be unhappy to know that R4M has already encountered its first discs that it can't handle. Das Parfum in German region and a few other German titles with the same protection(see the 3/15 change log for AnyDVD for a humorous look at this new protection and what Slysoft has to say about it) can't be ripped with R4M. So, the beginning of the end is coming, but, I wouldn't get too worried just yet. That's only 3 or 4 titles in one region...the rest work fine...for now.

I'm only concerned with Region 1. I'm curious to see the first US DVD movie that comes along that RipIt4Me won't be able to be made to work. When that happens it will curious to see if the author of FixVTS will play a role in making RipIt4Me still work. Haven't heard a word from him lately since the RipIt4Me sudden departure from the scene. Interesting times ahead. But, isn't that the way it always is for us DVD rippers? Heh heh. I just hope we don't end up a dying breed, like someone in the future saying, "remember way back when those dudes used to be able to rip DVDs".

Last edited:
Given Sony's latest ridiculousness, being able to backup your DVDs is even more important. And this particular protection in use in Germany disallows the discs from even being played on a HTPC. That's insane. Fortunately AnyDVD deals with this, so, I know I'm covered even if we see this protection migrate to other regions. However, it's not good that R4M can't handle it. And I don't know if a FixVTS update will fix this or not...this is a very nasty protection where it's difficult to even see the structure of the disc which may mean it's failing in the ripping process before it even gets to the FixVTS cleanup. If the author of R4M was still updating it, I'm sure he'd be able to figure out how to fix it, but, since it's not longer being updated, that may be one protection that can't be done with R4M.

Given Sony's latest ridiculousness, being able to backup your DVDs is even more important. And this particular protection in use in Germany disallows the discs from even being played on a HTPC.

<snip>

However, it's not good that R4M can't handle it. And I don't know if a FixVTS update will fix this or not...this is a very nasty protection where it's difficult to even see the structure of the disc which may mean it's failing in the ripping process before it even gets to the FixVTS cleanup. If the author of R4M was still updating it, I'm sure he'd be able to figure out how to fix it, but, since it's not longer being updated, that may be one protection that can't be done with R4M.

I agree with pretty much all you say but people need to take into account what FixVTS really is for. It's not a ripper or decrypter. FixVTS can't do anything until a DVD has already been decrypted so unless RipIt4Me is updated to remove any newer protection that it doesn't matter if FixVTS even exists or not. As you yourself said, SamuriHL, FixVTS does the cleanup.

Last edited:
Well I believe a lot of what the copy protection is, is in the structuring which RipIt4Me addresses with FixVTS. So FixVTS very well might be able to prolong RipIt4Me's ability to continue to work on those DVDs, if FixVTS is updated. If RipIt4Me makes the correct PSL and DVDD can get through it, then the copy protection is effectively already dealt with. FixVTS then has to restructure it to be DVD compliant so DVD Shrink can process it. If a new copy protection comes out that DVDD can't get through, then FixVTS isn't going to be able to do anything with it. (I think I got that right)

Last edited:
I agree with pretty much all you say but people need to take into account what FixVTS really is for. It's not a ripper or decrypter. FixVTS can't do anything until a DVD has already been decrypted so unless RipIt4Me is updated to remove any newer protection that it doesn't matter if FixVTS even exists or not. As you yourself said, SamuriHL, FixVTS does the cleanup.

Right, but, most of the time R4M is able to make a PSL file in order to at least RIP the disc. FixVTS is then used to clean it up so that DVD Shrink can open it. In the past, a lot of the updates were based around FixVTS updates. The basic "create PSL, load PSL, rip disc" methodology has worked for the most part since they added the PSL code to DVDD. However, it's my understanding that R4M is not even getting that far with the latest discs in german region. That is not good.

Well I believe a lot of what the copy protection is, is in the structuring which RipIt4Me addresses with FixVTS. So FixVTS very well might be able to prolong RipIt4Me's ability to continue to work on those DVDs, if FixVTS is updated. If RipIt4Me makes the correct PSL and DVDD can get through it, then the copy protection is effectively already dealt with. FixVTS then has to restructure it to be DVD compliant so DVD Shrink can process it. If a new copy protection comes out that DVDD can't get through, then FixVTS isn't going to be able to do anything with it. (I think I got that right)

:agree: Yup, exactly what I just said. R4M doesn't remove any protection...it's a front end for the tools that do so. It creates the PSL file for DVDD. And I think that's where we're currently broken on these discs. (I wish I had one to mess around with, but, you know what they say...careful what you wish for). If R4M's PSL creation code is screwed up by this latest protection, then the game is over for R4M in terms of this particular protection. That would have to be fixed by the R4M author, and well, we know how far that's going to get us. :) Yes, you could manually create your own PSL file, load it into DVDD, and then run FixVTS on it, but, then you wouldn't need R4M which automates this process. And believe me when I say creating a PSL file manually is a royal pain in the ***.

Here we are talking about FixVTS and now there is news that it is also history (vanished like RipIt4Me).

This is so sad. I really hate how people can just stop programs when they feel like it. This has made me so angry. I have a copy of the source code for FixVTS but it's not like I can do anything with it. Two great tools to go. I really, really, really, hope that the next one isn't PgcEdit.

http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=327789

This is so sad. I really hate how people can just stop programs when they feel like it. This has made me so angry. I have a copy of the source code for FixVTS but it's not like I can do anything with it. Two great tools to go. I really, really, really, hope that the next one isn't PgcEdit.

http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=327789

Be smart. Go grab the source while it's still available. He's within days of releasing 8.1, too, so, here's hoping that gets released.

You know the resion these type of projects get the feds boot is because they are not open source...

Put it this way if the source was out to R4Me there would be more progress done on it in private and released onto the net through offshore sites...

The way it is L/UK and DVD Decrypter he got greedy/app raped... if his project was open their would be no why in hell they could have contained the source. Every monkey and his banana would have full use rights to modify and past it every where. GNU

Ripit4Me got into the same boat and now its gone... The way I see it everybody who dose/makes these type of tools with out listing a source are nothing more then future marks of the FBI/MPAA...

An open tool is a protected tool... A hushed speciality tool lives and dies with the creator...

8)

Ultimately, whether or not a project moves to open source is up to the author him/herself. In the DVD scene, there are certain people who love to steal from open sourced projects which is probably why some people haven't gone open sourced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back