• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Request Request: YouTube UHD and HDR

drambuie

Being able to download UHD resolutions up to 4/8/12K and frame rates up to 120hz seem readily available on YouTube downloaders.

Is there any obstacle to expanding the limit for YouTube downloads beyond 1080p SDR?

I could also see up zo 8k when I once took a look. But you need to change the codec for that. No clue why as they appeared to be different resolutions per codec anyway (=they could be put together). But I don't know if there are some videos with a different behavior.

On Youtube on Anystream Plus even Videos listed as 4K. 8K or 12K mostly download in 1080p .Today most of the videos downloaded in 4K but usually most are only 1080p.
I wish the You tube videos had the lenght listed in the infromation banner.

Attachments

• AnyStream_1.6.6.5.astlog
    641.9 KB · Views: 1
YouTube doesn't actually support 12K, right? Some people upload 12K videos which YouTube automatically downsamples to 8K.

Yes I select the correct codec if it's an option but it is usually not available. Usually AVC 1080p is the only option.

Attachments

• 0 AnyStream  Plus YouTube  4k+ Codec  .png
    0 AnyStream Plus YouTube 4k+ Codec .png
    99.5 KB · Views: 20
Yes I select the correct codec if it's an option but it is usually not available. Usually AVC 1080p is the only option.
Do you have something to play 8K and 12K on? I have downloaded plenty of 8K and 4K from YouTube albeit, they are background fish and animal videos, something you might use for a screensaver, but nonetheless in 8K and 4K.

Do you have something to play 8K and 12K on?
I doubt there is anyone with an 8k monitor or TV, if they even exist (I think I heard about some). Nevertheless, if a video is really important for me, I would want to archive it in the best quality possible.

Not that I took the time to archive anything from YT so far...

I doubt there is anyone with an 8k monitor or TV, if they even exist (I think I heard about some). Nevertheless, if a video is really important for me, I would want to archive it in the best quality possible.

My point exactly. I doubt anyone has 8K or 12k equipment here. So why even want to download it? 1080p is fine for anything YouTube has to offer.

Yup. 8k TV's exist and are available in the USA at least. Amazon and Best Buy have many Samsung, LG, Sony, TCL, Hisense, 8K TV models starting as low as $1K for a 55" Samsung on clearance at Best Buy. Based on people leaving reviews, at least some are buying them.

Also I'm guessing you'd need to use the internal apps to do higher than 4K playback, since Roku, FireTV, NVidia Shield TV PRO or Chromecast with Google TV don't output higher than 4K. Of the multitude of other Android TV boxes out there, I'm not sure if any do greater than 4K either.

Personally, I'm not in the market for a new TV, my 4k's aren't that old and look great. Even if I was, I don't think I'd go 8K. With the resolution TV broadcasts are in (720p, 1080i/1080p) and streamers giving 1080p and 4K for MOVIES that are lower bit rate due to internet speeds, I can't imagine native 8K content will be here anytime soon to warrant an 8K TV.

Also I'm guessing you'd need to use the internal apps to do higher than 4K playback
If it is an Android TV, you can just sideload VLC etc. But then the question remains if the TV has enough power to process that much data coming from a file on a HDD or USB drive.

Personally, I'm not in the market for a new TV, my 4k's aren't that old and look great. Even if I was, I don't think I'd go 8K. With the resolution TV broadcasts are in (720p, 1080i/1080p) and streamers giving 1080p and 4K for MOVIES that are lower bit rate due to internet speeds, I can't imagine native 8K content will be here anytime soon to warrant an 8K TV.
I only have a 1080p monitor right now and am not sure if I should buy 4k (not only because of physical space, but also because of scaling and filesizes for screenshots and recordings).
But yes, as for 8k, there are only a few things that can offer that. Some phones can record 8k I think, but there is no 8k disc, no 8k TV services and no 8k on Amz etc.

I'm have an 'old' 55" 1080p TV that I bought in the US (when I was living there) in 2012. Still works perfectly and have no need for anything better. It's not smart, and I play everything though an AppleTV (the aerial socket is broken - pretty sure* it isn't compatible anyway).

[edit: typo*]

I'm have an 'old' 55" 1080p TV that I bought in the US (when I was living there) in 2012. Still works perfectly and have no need for anything better. It's not smart, and I play everything though an AppleTV (the aerial socket is broken - pretty sure* it isn't compatible anyway).

[edit: typo*]
If you replace "smart" with "spying" it more accurately reflects reality ;)

Personally speaking , I never pull from YouTube because of awesome video or sound quality. Obviously YouTube is far more motivated to compress or trim video/audio than even typical streaming platforms since most of their users are on mobile. I usually pull from YouTube for documentation. So something that contains knowledge or to pull something down I know they will ban later. And as such I am 100% fine with whatever is the highest res I can get easily. Much of what I have pulled are very old videos that are in 360p. My point here is that in my use case quality is an optional feature and having access to download it at all is what is paramount.

AV1 and VP9 are the two most common 4Ks. I think the edge goes to AV1 but they're less compatible on other devices.
Many of the older videos if you add 4K to the search, sometimes you get some pretty impressive results. Other times they're terrible upconversions.

I only have a 1080p monitor right now and am not sure if I should buy 4k (not only because of physical space, but also because of scaling and filesizes for screenshots and recordings).
But yes, as for 8k, there are only a few things that can offer that. Some phones can record 8k I think, but there is no 8k disc, no 8k TV services and no 8k on Amz etc.
I'm the same, kind of. The only 4K I have is TVs. I'm not ready for 4K on my PCs yet. My Surface Pro is 2736 x 1824, and I don't know if its that or its the 12.3" display that makes it hard to read some times.

I did get a 34" ultrawide 2560x1080 monitor to go with my normal 1920x1080 on my desktop PC. 95% of my day job is text based, so I was afraid of how readable the text would be with a 1440p or 4K monitor. Keeping with 1080p, I can keep the same text scaling, but get more width for flow charts, side by side data and stuff.

I could also see up zo 8k when I once took a look. But you need to change the codec for that. No clue why as they appeared to be different resolutions per codec anyway (=they could be put together). But I don't know if there are some videos with a different behavior.
Just wanted to say thanks for this comment! I was trying to see if AS could download in 4K since the 4K video I was trying to get was only downloading in 1080p. From this comment I realized I had to change the codec to be given the 4K option.

I'm the same, kind of. The only 4K I have is TVs. I'm not ready for 4K on my PCs yet. My Surface Pro is 2736 x 1824, and I don't know if its that or its the 12.3" display that makes it hard to read some times.

I did get a 34" ultrawide 2560x1080 monitor to go with my normal 1920x1080 on my desktop PC. 95% of my day job is text based, so I was afraid of how readable the text would be with a 1440p or 4K monitor. Keeping with 1080p, I can keep the same text scaling, but get more width for flow charts, side by side data and stuff.
Yes, if the dpi is so small then the scaling can be off. I have (access to) a laptop with 1080p on 15.6" or so, and it looks weird on some programs. The font is not sharp there and I have no clue why. But it appears to only be in the installer. The browser etc is like usual, just a bit small so I set it to 125% or so.

Just wanted to say thanks for this comment! I was trying to see if AS could download in 4K since the 4K video I was trying to get was only downloading in 1080p. From this comment I realized I had to change the codec to be given the 4K option.
Great to hear that I helped you!

I like downloading HDR contents on Youtube and play them using using KODI on my Android TV. This is one feature that the 'competing product' does better than AS.. but everything else AS is better!

Back