• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Request Request: YouTube UHD and HDR

I doubt there is anyone with an 8k monitor or TV, if they even exist (I think I heard about some). Nevertheless, if a video is really important for me, I would want to archive it in the best quality possible.

Not that I took the time to archive anything from YT so far...
I have a Dell 8K monitor, but downsampled video looks better on lower-resolution displays because there's less compression, especially on YouTube.

It depends on the video.

I just compared bitrates on a random one released recently (Nov. 5th available in 8K, and in this instance the 8K definition (only available in AV1) actually is 2x much worse in relative quality (bits/pixel) than the 4K one! The best one is actually 1440, so if you have a 1080 screen you'll have the best quality choosing that one.

But unfortunately there is no way to be sure for every video (a download tool could do that job for you by giving you a relative quality indicator, as it has access to at least the size and definition values), because I also remember older ones on which I had made that comparison, and where the 4K definition was indeed much better in relative quality. Maybe the videos get reencoded with better quality after some time depending on audience?

One constant is that the 1080 definition is always worse than all the others in relative quality, in any format (codec/fps/SDR or HDR). I think YouTube degrades it more to make the subscription-only "Premium 1080" one much better in comparison.

Back