• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[REQ Prime (but not only)] "Monitor season for changes" feature

0x0x0x0x0

So, this is going to be tricky to implement but here's the idea: many seasons on Prime are progressive (episodes get added as the time goes on), it would be cool if there was a way to get AS to "bookmark" a page with the season's episodes, compute its checksum (for example), and then either automatically (or manually triggered) at some point in the future check if that bookmark has changed and alert the user. Might have to do more clever tricks than just keeping the count of episodes as sometimes the mothership updates tracks with "fixes" when an episode is badly coded (yup, it does happen).

I'm imagining the additional code base that feature would require. LOL.

not really: all you have to do is store a reference to a page and pass it through a function that compares it to a previously stored version...

There would be a lot more to it than simply that. Note all of the rendering issues AS has had with providers in the past year. I don't think this would be nearly as easy as it might seem.

AS already has code to extract manifest files for each season, all you have to do is literally check if (a) new manifest files are added or (b) existing manifest file names have changed.

Well that's true. There's always more than one way of accomplishing something. Its been ~20 years since I did any serious coding, so maybe I'm just overthinking it?

Perhaps, just trying to think what the minimal thing that actually matters in this case would be...

PS: just to complicate things further, for some providers, this would need to be linked to the region as well, of course, just to make things "more interesting" ;)

AnyStream, as of now, is a downloader, not a streaming client. Therefore, although we are doing our best to make the downloading process as easy and pleasant as possible, there is, at the moment, no intent to convert it to anything else.

That's the purpose of this feature: to streamline downloading of new episodes instead of having to navigate between pages just to get that one episode per season per week ;)

That's the purpose of this feature: to streamline downloading of new episodes instead of having to navigate between pages just to get that one episode per season per week ;)

I hear you.....Hate that they all seem going to go to a weekly release model instead of dumping the whole season at once. Just realized Paramount did that too now with ST Discovery S4 - guess I will cancel P+ for a few month now until the whole season is available and then re-sign up. I'm not doing this weekly release/fetch thing, I want to watch the whole season at once.

Believe it or not, it's doing the "Paramount dance" while fetching with this week's episodes that gave me the idea ;)

All in all, this sounds like an interesting feature.
But it's fairly useless when applied only to a local computer.
Depending on the provider it can be very time-consuming to actually gather sufficient information for every series to be able to get this information.
With most providers, all AnyStream "sees" when it loads the main page is whether a series exists at all. And that is only for those that are on the main page (though the changing ones are bound be be there).
Loading an episode list for all seasons - and much worse manifests (these are sometimes a multi-step action requiring successive downloading of multiple URLs per item) - you don't want that, trust me.
So, really, AnyStream only knows the episodes for a season once you yourself are looking at them. ("There are new episodes available" - "yes, I see that, Dipshit, thanks for telling me now")
With a few exceptions - Disney+ episodes are mostly known right away, they have a more compact format.

Maybe, one day, an online database can do the trick. But I don't see the working with standalone AnyStream.

You mean like thetvdb.com, tvmaze.com, anidb.net, themoviedb.org, omdb.com (with omdbapi.org)

You mean like thetvdb.com, tvmaze.com, anidb.net, themoviedb.org, omdb.com (with omdbapi.org)

I think you misunderstood what I meant, but I think Pete got what I had in mind, let me give you and example: in my case, there are 20 or so series on para+ that add an episode each week, I know that new episodes get added (I don't need a "jack in the box"-kind notifier that a new episode is added---I know that already) what would be cool is to have a button to, say, "check monitored seasons for changes" on the provider page where AS goes off and does it's thing, then comes back with an equivalent of the "episode selection" box, but instead of listing episodes of a specific season, the box lists series and new/changed episodes (prime re-encoded a whole bunch of buffy for example) that you can just click and stuff into the download queue.

Are you looking for the PVR/DVR functionality the allows the user to select a TV series and "record" all new episodes as they become available?
SageTV, NextPVR, MythTV, Windows Media Center, .... etc.

As was stated, not what Anystream does. (not saying it wouldn't be an awesome feature - but it is most likely outside the scope of Anystream).

Are you looking for the PVR/DVR functionality the allows the user to select a TV series and "record" all new episodes as they become available?
SageTV, NextPVR, MythTV, Windows Media Center, .... etc.

As was stated, not what Anystream does. (not saying it wouldn't be an awesome feature - but it is most likely outside the scope of Anystream).

Not quite, I'm just looking to automate things I do manually. I don't even need them to download as they become available, automatic probing is way expensive and silly, hence I said

... what would be cool is to have a button to, say, "check monitored seasons for changes" on the provider page where AS goes off and does it's thing...

TBH, I don't see why anyone would claim that downloading episodes albeit not through conventional "select series->select episode->download the thing" but from a list that AS builds another way is outside the scope of AS...

C'mon guys, I'm not asking for tracking feature---I know what new episodes are out, and there are better sites that actually tell you what each provider adds to their catalogue on that day...

I was asking for the ability do pull new manifest files from bookmaked seasons so I wouldn't have to weekly click back-and-forth between twenty or so seasons just for the sake of downloading one episode per season per week.

There are third party products that can check missing episodes from your media collection...I use Media Center Master for that, but I am sure there are others. It basically looks at thetvdb.com and your media collection and reports any missing episodes - then I go to AS+ to download those that are missing. Yes, I understand that this is outside AS+ and a separate product, but I appreciate what the dev's are doing with AS+ - making a rock-solid app, and adding additional providers and much appreciated features such as Batch.

Back