Redbox movies

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (Blu-ray issues)' started by Damon Warmus, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Damon Warmus

Damon Warmus Member

Why won't any Blu Ray from Redbox work. This is the third movie I have purchased from Redbox and like the others makes my drive make funny noises and never loads up. My computer doesn't know there is a disk inserted. Why. It plays fine on stand alone player. The movies are Chick fight and Becky. I can't remember the third one. It's only movies that are made by Redbox. If there is some new kind of protection on these then why aren't all the companies using it and why haven't you cracked it. Can't give log file because as I said the disc isn't showing on my computer. Any dvd never starts up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL & Mod

Disable anydvd for a moment. Does windows see a disc in the drive now?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

3. Damon Warmus

Damon Warmus Member

No it does not

4. Ch3vr0n

Then it's not an anydvd problem. If the drive doesn't detect a disc, then it can't inform anydvd there's a disc inside and anydvd in turn won't know there's anything to decrypt.

Your have 2 possibilities here

Dead/dying/dirty drive or dirty/defective disc. It would be extremely unusual for every disc you purchase to fail reading. If you have access to another system (friend or family) try such a disc in there. If it detects the disc then, that would confirm what I'm thinking.

My guess is your drive is dead/dying/defective.

For the sake of being thorough, even if it were to detect standard cd/dvd doesn't mean the drive isn't defective. Blu-ray uses a different laser (blue laser, hence the name) to read discs than it does for dvd (red laser) and cd (infra red diode).

5. Damon Warmus

Damon Warmus Member

I have three drives all give the same result all are less than 1 year old. This only happens on Redbox studios discs. All other Blu Rays work with no problem

6. Ch3vr0n

Then the drive is fine and it's a disc problem. Sometimes there's an oily film on them rendering the disc dirty. Maybe a cleaning with some mild soap and a microfiber cloth will work. However as I explained above. If windows won't even see the disc with anydvd disabled, then it can't be an anydvd problem. And just before you, no there's no such protection mechanism to make a disc 'invisible' for a computer optical drive.

7. Damon Warmus

Damon Warmus Member

I appreciate the help but I can't see all Redbox movies being dirty. All other movies I purchased from Redbox work except Redbox studios. There is something with their discs. I found previous posts about the same issue and they talk about older hardware and older versions of any dvd working

8. Ch3vr0n

Nobody said ALL of them being faulty, you might just be really unlucky. Think logically here

* With anydvd disabled: the drive still won't detect the discs. Can it even be an anydvd problem then? No
    * You say the drive detects other discs' perfectly fine, is the drive faulty then? No
    * What option remains? The discs, that's it. As I said there is no protection mechanism that renders discs invisible to a computer drive.

9. Jeff53404

Jeff53404 Well-Known Member

I can sympathize with the OP as I just rented Chick Fight and can't play it on my HTPC (this is the second time that has happened). I gave the discs what I consider a decent cleaning and it did not help. The computer fails to recognize a disc has been inserted.

10. DigitalJunkie

DigitalJunkie Member

Is it possible those disks do not like Windows?

11. Ch3vr0n

no. There's no protection mechanism either that prevents discs from being read in 1 os other the other. Windows,Mac, Linux... as far as a drive is concerned the data on a disc is all just random 1's and 0's.

12. CCaptain00

CCaptain00 Active Member

Glad I am not going crazy...I have 3 internals Blu-ray drives and 1 in an external enclosure. I have rented Blu-rays of Becky, Ava (2 different copies), & and also Chick Fight (2 different copies) from Redbox. None of the discs were recognized on any of my drives by Windows 10, with or without AnyDVD enabled. Also, today when I did I restart with Chick Fight in a drive the BIOS tried to boot from it and it just hung trying to read it until I pressed the reset button and removed it. I was able to rip the Becky Blu-ray that I rented from Family Video.

13. CCaptain00

CCaptain00 Active Member

I just received I used Memorex external 6X (PIONEER BD-RWBDR-TD03 1.01) that I Bought off eBay for $15 and it reads Chick Fight just fine. I'd though I'd test it out after reading on the MakeMKV forum that these new Redbox disc like older drives better.

14. Krawk

Krawk Well-Known Member

There are reports of a few RedBox movies not being readable on multiple drives, AVA and Chick Fight come to mind. Back to the Future UHD has some similar issues on some drives of certain read speeds.