• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Redbox movies

Damon Warmus

Why won't any Blu Ray from Redbox work. This is the third movie I have purchased from Redbox and like the others makes my drive make funny noises and never loads up. My computer doesn't know there is a disk inserted. Why. It plays fine on stand alone player. The movies are Chick fight and Becky. I can't remember the third one. It's only movies that are made by Redbox. If there is some new kind of protection on these then why aren't all the companies using it and why haven't you cracked it. Can't give log file because as I said the disc isn't showing on my computer. Any dvd never starts up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Disable anydvd for a moment. Does windows see a disc in the drive now?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

No it does not
Then it's not an anydvd problem. If the drive doesn't detect a disc, then it can't inform anydvd there's a disc inside and anydvd in turn won't know there's anything to decrypt.

Your have 2 possibilities here

Dead/dying/dirty drive or dirty/defective disc. It would be extremely unusual for every disc you purchase to fail reading. If you have access to another system (friend or family) try such a disc in there. If it detects the disc then, that would confirm what I'm thinking.

My guess is your drive is dead/dying/defective.

For the sake of being thorough, even if it were to detect standard cd/dvd doesn't mean the drive isn't defective. Blu-ray uses a different laser (blue laser, hence the name) to read discs than it does for dvd (red laser) and cd (infra red diode).

Then it's not an anydvd problem. If the drive doesn't detect a disc, then it can't inform anydvd there's a disc inside and anydvd in turn won't know there's anything to decrypt.

Your have 2 possibilities here

Dead/dying/dirty drive or dirty/defective disc. It would be extremely unusual for every disc you purchase to fail reading. If you have access to another system (friend or family) try such a disc in there. If it detects the disc then, that would confirm what I'm thinking.

My guess is your drive is dead/dying/defective.

For the sake of being thorough, even if it were to detect standard cd/dvd doesn't mean the drive isn't defective. Blu-ray uses a different laser (blue laser, hence the name) to read discs than it does for dvd (red laser) and cd (infra red diode).

I have three drives all give the same result all are less than 1 year old. This only happens on Redbox studios discs. All other Blu Rays work with no problem

Then the drive is fine and it's a disc problem. Sometimes there's an oily film on them rendering the disc dirty. Maybe a cleaning with some mild soap and a microfiber cloth will work. However as I explained above. If windows won't even see the disc with anydvd disabled, then it can't be an anydvd problem. And just before you, no there's no such protection mechanism to make a disc 'invisible' for a computer optical drive.

Then the drive is fine and it's a disc problem. Sometimes there's an oily film on them rendering the disc dirty. Maybe a cleaning with some mild soap and a microfiber cloth will work. However as I explained above. If windows won't even see the disc with anydvd disabled, then it can't be an anydvd problem. And just before you, no there's no such protection mechanism to make a disc 'invisible' for a computer optical drive.

I appreciate the help but I can't see all Redbox movies being dirty. All other movies I purchased from Redbox work except Redbox studios. There is something with their discs. I found previous posts about the same issue and they talk about older hardware and older versions of any dvd working

Nobody said ALL of them being faulty, you might just be really unlucky. Think logically here

* With anydvd disabled: the drive still won't detect the discs. Can it even be an anydvd problem then? No
* You say the drive detects other discs' perfectly fine, is the drive faulty then? No
* What option remains? The discs, that's it. As I said there is no protection mechanism that renders discs invisible to a computer drive.

I can sympathize with the OP as I just rented Chick Fight and can't play it on my HTPC (this is the second time that has happened). I gave the discs what I consider a decent cleaning and it did not help. The computer fails to recognize a disc has been inserted.

Is it possible those disks do not like Windows?

no. There's no protection mechanism either that prevents discs from being read in 1 os other the other. Windows,Mac, Linux... as far as a drive is concerned the data on a disc is all just random 1's and 0's.

Glad I am not going crazy...I have 3 internals Blu-ray drives and 1 in an external enclosure. I have rented Blu-rays of Becky, Ava (2 different copies), & and also Chick Fight (2 different copies) from Redbox. None of the discs were recognized on any of my drives by Windows 10, with or without AnyDVD enabled. Also, today when I did I restart with Chick Fight in a drive the BIOS tried to boot from it and it just hung trying to read it until I pressed the reset button and removed it. I was able to rip the Becky Blu-ray that I rented from Family Video.

I just received I used Memorex external 6X (PIONEER BD-RWBDR-TD03 1.01) that I Bought off eBay for $15 and it reads Chick Fight just fine. I'd though I'd test it out after reading on the MakeMKV forum that these new Redbox disc like older drives better.

There are reports of a few RedBox movies not being readable on multiple drives, AVA and Chick Fight come to mind. Back to the Future UHD has some similar issues on some drives of certain read speeds.

I have been unable to copy any redbox production blu rays recently. The discs all read fine. Just won't copy. No action needed. Just giving info.

I have been unable to copy any redbox production blu rays recently. The discs all read fine. Just won't copy. No action needed. Just giving info.

That would be where one would post a log file, no?

This almost seems like a problem I had when I had a Windows issue and had to reinstall Windows 10. The solution for me was to go into Device Manager and remove the drives from there. Then right after that, have it rescan for devices and then it will reinstall the drive. AnyDVD seems to work OK after that.

At the least, it probably won't damage anything since drives usually don't prompt for proprietary driver installs.

This is NOT an ANYDVD, broken drive or bad/dirty disk issue! It appears to be the same kind of issue/disk that “Becky” and other Redbox Entertainment released movies. Newer drives like the ASUS BW-16D1HT, LG-WH16NS60 and LG-BU40N are not able to read/recognize the disks BUT older Blu-ray drives like the Pioneer - BDR-XD05 work with no problems.
Don’t know why this is (also the disks have a rounded edge; appears to be some kinds of new disk) but I’m sure it’s intentional on Redbox Entertainment’s and the disk manufacture side.

Why won't any Blu Ray from Redbox work. This is the third movie I have purchased from Redbox and like the others makes my drive make funny noises and never loads up. My computer doesn't know there is a disk inserted. Why. It plays fine on stand alone player. The movies are Chick fight and Becky. I can't remember the third one. It's only movies that are made by Redbox. If there is some new kind of protection on these then why aren't all the companies using it and why haven't you cracked it. Can't give log file because as I said the disc isn't showing on my computer. Any dvd never starts up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I sometimes experience the internal blu-ray drives in my desktop not recognizing the discs I put in them.

So I put the disc into an external blu-ray drive and VOILA! Everything worked fine.

I have no idea why.

Maybe trying a different drive would help?

When I rent a disc, I always give it a good cleaning to protect my drive from the grime, grit, and fingerprints from previous users. I use the pre-moistened eyeglass cleaners.

I have experienced this with both movies from Redbox whenever they came out. AnyDVD isn't at fault since the drive(s) can't read the disc without or without AnyDVD running. Multiple drives were used. None worked. The question becomes whether this is merely bad production or something intentional. I don't know but looking at the inner hub of the readable side of the disc it doesn't look normal. Replacement discs didn't resolve the issue. I wound up having to use a standalone player for viewing.

Note: I always clean rental discs. Discs looked clean and were definitely clean when I was done.

Last edited:
Back