• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

ReClock 1.8.6.5

@Jong: mariachi76 is a ninja!

Anyways, I'll leave it off for now, but with ~3-4% speedup 29.970@~31fps because of 61.8hz lcd screen on laptop, people are starting to sound funny.

I'll leave it off for now, but with ~3-4% speedup 29.970@~31fps because of 61.8hz lcd screen on laptop, people are starting to sound funny.

Yeah, its not perfect, but, honestly, better than the alternative. PAL Speedup is ~4.2% and there has to be a reason why all the TV channels and almost all DVD authors choose to use that rather than pitch correct.

The only thing I can say is when not doing a back to back comparison you quickly forget what the correct pitch is! Until Blu-ray hardly anyone in Europe watched movies at home with the correct pitch, unless they watched @60hz on a PC with Reclock doing PAL speeddown.

Personally I prefer PAL Speedup to 3:2 pulldown judder, what NTSC countries had to put up with before 24p displays; At least movies are smooth. But I realise to some extent this is just "what you are used to"!

Yeah, its not perfect, but, honestly, better than the alternative. PAL Speedup is ~4.2% and there has to be a reason why all the TV channels and almost all DVD authors choose to use that rather than pitch correct.

The only thing I can say is when not doing a back to back comparison you quickly forget what the correct pitch is! Until Blu-ray hardly anyone in Europe watched movies at home with the correct pitch, unless they watched @60hz on a PC with Reclock doing PAL speeddown.

Personally I prefer PAL Speedup to 3:2 pulldown judder, what NTSC countries had to put up with before 24p displays; At least movies are smooth. But I realise to some extent this is just "what you are used to"!
Mind you, if you are listening with a laptop do whatever you like! My comments really only apply if listening through a good quality surround system. :)

We both replied to your last post on disabling pitch correction before it magically disappeared in a puff of smoke! (I think!)

:) I think i found out myself:
When "Time Stretching" is checked, movies are played faster or slower depending on frame rate and display frequency.
When "Time Stretching" is unchecked, movie plays at original speed, and pitch is corrected.

Is that right?

regards, mariachi76

When "Time Stretching" is checked, movies are played faster or slower depending on frame rate and display frequency.
When "Time Stretching" is unchecked, movie plays at original speed, and pitch is corrected.

Is that right?

No. ;)

I see that you are using 60Hz. 60/2 = 20, which is close enought to 29.97 which makes the icon green

What other refresh rates are available? You are lucky if you can see 120Hz.

Leave FPS on Auto.

Anyways, basically the icon will turn green if your video and refresh rates match. ie. 24FPSx5 will match 120Hz, and 30FPSx4 will also match 120Hz.

24FPSx2.5 will won't exactly match 60Hz, but it creates an even jitter graph so it's good enough for me.

I just use 60Hz because that's all my laptop supports, but luckily for me it works well enough.

If you are referring to the refreash rates available in ati settings, I set it to 1080i @ 30hz the only setting that works with my set.

As I said auto gives me yellow and 29.97, 30, 59.940 and 60 give me a green clock is there a way I can determine which is the best setting?

Is that right?

regards, mariachi76

In both cases, 'movies are played faster or slower depending on frame rate and display frequency'. However, when timestretching is ticked and either 'whenslowingdown' or 'whenspeedingup' is also ticked, there will be (censored) of the audio, but while the (censored) of the audio will be corrected, it is also damaging to some of the other properties of the audio. ...but you probably won't notice said damage unless you're 'listening through a good quality surround system.'

namaiki comment: well generally for me I am listening through my IEMs.
namaiki comment 2: I think we can have an interesting blind-test case here.

If you are referring to the refreash rates available in ati settings, I set it to 1080i @ 30hz the only setting that works with my set.

As I said auto gives me yellow and 29.97, 30, 59.940 and 60 give me a green clock is there a way I can determine which is the best setting?

120Hz would be the best, but since you only have 60Hz, yellow is the best you might get. check and it should be adjusting the video to 24fps. make sure that both settings in reclock filter settings are set to 'automatic' and 'auto(best).'

Last edited:
namaiki comment: well generally for me I am listening through my IEMs.
namaiki comment 2: I think we can have an interesting blind-test case here.
I thought you wanted the easy answer :) I get the feeling you are doubting me here :D

If you search back for discussion on this I have said I think the sound quality of each individual channel in isolation is actually pretty good. I think there may be times when you can hear how the sound has been chopped up (literally!) for timestretching but mostly not. The main problem is there is no "phase coherence" between the front and rear speakers, imperfect coherence between the center and others and none (I think) between the sub and other speakers. What difference does this make? Well have you ever listened to even stereo sound with speakers that are out of phase (terminals on the back connected the wrong way round). There is nothing different about the "quality" coming out of each speaker but you can no longer locate any sound in front of you. You just have a diffuse sound, coming out of each speaker. Now imagine you could randomly switch the cables back and forth, so sometimes they were in phase and sometimes out of phase. Now imagine doing that for 6 or 8 speakers. That is what timestretching always used to be like. Recently the timestretching algorithms were improved so the left and right channels are processed together, this gives you a stereo effect, but still problems elsewhere. It is especially noticeable if a scene is set in a big room with some echo, like a church. 5.1/7.1 sound can make you feel you are really in that space. After timestretching the sound is 'flat'/'dead'. Also, when a sound is meant to be in between the rear to the front. All the sound is still there but no longer clearly positioned.

Yeah, if it doesn't bother you, no worries. But this is not like arguments over esoteric speaker cables. Getting the phasing right between speakers is vital and timestretching messes it all up. As I said, if all this subjective stuff is a bit wishy washy just try to think why all those TV stations and PAL DVD authors chose to introduce 4.2% speedup instead of correcting for pitch, when the pitch errors are so obvious.

Last edited:
So in summary - for those with the ATI HDMI Driver on HDxxxx cards decoding all Audio to PCM on the PC so Reclock can keep the Video smooth and the Audio In Sync, the following is the "go" and you only need to play with any other setting if you have a specific issue issue or feature you need / want.

Thanks
Nathan

attachment.php

Why do you have Time Stretching enabled? AFAIK, it messes audio quality up. Wouldn't it be better to have it disabled?

Actually he has it enabled but the two possible ways it works - on speed up or slowing down disabled - so in effect it does nothing. This, James has said, is the proposed default as it also enables the PAL Speeddown option. Why this is the case, as AFAIK PAL Speedown does not require timestretching, I am not sure. :confused:

Actually he has it enabled but the two possible ways it works - on speed up or slowing down disabled - so in effect it does nothing. This, James has said, is the proposed default as it also enables the PAL Speeddown option. Why this is the case, as AFAIK PAL Speedown does not require timestretching, I am not sure. :confused:

Cheers for explaining, Jong.

And what about sinc interpolation? Why is it better "Fast Sinc interpolation" than "Best Sinc interpolation"?

Last edited:
Well have you ever listened to even stereo sound with speakers that are out of phase (terminals on the back connected the wrong way round).
Yeah, I know that ikky feeling..

if it doesn't bother you, no worries.
But this is not like arguments over esoteric speaker cables. Getting the phasing right between speakers is vital and timestretching messes it all up.
I only ever listen to 2ch audio, so I guess I'll just see how bad it gets. The chipmunks are just making things too funny at this point. :|

If you check the properties dialog, there are *two* PAL speeddown options. The first (good one) doesn't need timestretching (it plays PAL at 24/48fps, so pitch is correct), the second one does (it plays PAL at 25/50fps, but does pitch correction and timestretching).

Cheers for explaining, Jong.

And what about sinc interpolation? Why is it better "Fast Sinc interpolation" than "Best Sinc interpolation"?
"Best" is "best", but I dare to say you won't hear much difference. "Best" uses a lot more CPU power, so it is unwise to use this as the default setting.
"Good" is really good, IMHO, and doesn't need as much CPU.

hello again, I have another doubt that you experts might help solving. I have finally managed to get tmt2 .125 working and I am testing it with reclock to see if I can get non downsampled audio over analog

before this experiment, reclock always showed 16 bit 48 khz, with thiss tmt2 versione I have finally achieved 24 bits and 96 kHz on tracks that have it, but now I have the opposite problem: how do I get 16 bit tracks to output at 16?? I am currently seeing 24 bits also on those, which means bits are being somehow padded at 24 :confused:

Is that reclock's doing or is it tmt2 adding bits?

I set the bit depth as "same as input" in reclock control panel

hello again, I have another doubt that you experts might help solving. I have finally managed to get tmt2 .125 working and I am testing it with reclock to see if I can get non downsampled audio over analog

before this experiment, reclock always showed 16 bit 48 khz, with thiss tmt2 versione I have finally achieved 24 bits and 96 kHz on tracks that have it, but now I have the opposite problem: how do I get 16 bit tracks to output at 16?? I am currently seeing 24 bits also on those, which means bits are being somehow padded at 24 :confused:
Don't worry. 8 little zeroes won't do any harm.

Is that reclock's doing or is it tmt2 adding bits?
TMT.

Back