• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Problems with view angles ripping Ratatouille

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonW

When trying to rip a copy of Ratatouille with AnyDVD Ripper (6.5.1.1 and below), I get too many errors to count, the video and audio jump and go out of sink also because this DVD has two angles both angles get shown one after the other adding extra time to the AnyDVD rip.
But if I rip using SmartRipper (2.41) it does a far better job, all but one error remains.

The behaviour when playing, and problems when ripping are identical on three different machines, and on four different DVD drives, so I don't believe it to be a hardware or driver problem.

With this error there appears to be an angle change with lost or added frames (depending on ripper), this can be detected because the text on the newspaper in the shot changes from French to Dutch.
This is odd because there is only English and Hindi sound and subtitles streams.

It appears to happen when the DVD moves between chapters 29 and 30.
The DVD players fine in WMP with or without AnyDVD enabled, at the error point the Drive behaves fine with no head seeking sounds so I assume the disc has been pressed correctly.

When opening the VOB files directly in CyberLink PowerDVD the same angle problem occurs but when opening the DVD in PowerDVD (as you would normally play a DVD) the problem does not occur.

I am assuming there is yet another error protection on this DVD Title.

I have included the AnyDVD log file and two videos encoded with XviD showing the two ways the problem occurs.

Summary for drive G: (AnyDVD 6.5.1.1)
HL-DT-ST BD-REGGW-H20L YL05 00100208117CIA3903
Drive (Hardware) Region: 2

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 1934304 sectors (3777 MBytes)
Total size: 3861136 sectors (7541 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: RATATOUILLE
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: PAL
Media is locked to region(s): 2!

RCE protection not found.
Found & removed structural copy protection!
Found & removed invalid cell pieces!
Repaired invalid title search pointer table!
Found & removed invalid VOBUs!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 32 potential bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 2!

Any help would be much appreciated, this one is a tricky one.

It appears to happen when the DVD moves between chapters 29 and 30.
The DVD players fine in WMP with or without AnyDVD enabled, at the error point the Drive behaves fine with no head seeking sounds so I assume the disc has been pressed correctly.
So AnyDVD did its job correctly.
Have you tried ripping using CloneDVD?

Thanks for a quick reply.

Sorry AnyDVD has not succeded, if you view the videos I included then you will understand why.

When playing a DVD normally you have an option to view the DVD from diferent viewing angles (this DVD has two; an English version and what appears to be a Dutch version), but when ripping this one, both view angles get ripped into one angle making the final rip jumpy, and the DVD play time gets extended.

This seems much worse with AnyDVD ripper compared to SmartRipper, at least with SmartRipper there is only one jump and the rest is watchable, where as with AnyDVD Ripper it is unwatchable.

I will try to rip it with CloneDVD and get back to you.

When opening the VOB files directly in CyberLink PowerDVD the same angle problem occurs but when opening the DVD in PowerDVD (as you would normally play a DVD) the problem does not occur.

It sounds to me like the full disk rip VOB files "are what they are", and you need the IFO files to play them properly.
That's not unusual nowadays. If the AnyDVD ripper output results in a totally playable disk (when played correctly using the IFO files like a DVD player would do) then it's scored as a successfull rip.

If you actually need a "virgin" set of VOB files containing a particular isolated title (ie title1 angle1) then you need to import the AnyDVD rip into a DVD processor (like CloneDVD) and rip the title you want out of the AnyDVD rip. Of course that's an extra step because you can rip the title you want out with CloneDVD to begin with ; I was illustrating the difference between a "full disk" output and an "isolated title" output.

As Webslinger says below - if a software player can play the full disk rip properly - it's correct.

-W

Last edited:
Sorry AnyDVD has not succeded

Yeah, it has if the original disc plays fine with Anydvd running in the background.

1. Update to Anydvd 6.5.1.4 beta: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=165933&postcount=1

clbstor (system32\drivers\clbstor.sys), Version: 5.0.0.3004 (5.0.0.3004)
Company: Cyberlink Co.,Ltd.
Copyright: Copyright(C) Cyberlink Co.,Ltd.
Description: Cyberlink Storage Helper Driver (WindowsNT5.x)
FileVersion: 5.0.3004
ProductVersion: 5.0.3004

From CyberLink InstantBurn's packet writing software . . . packet writing software in general is bad news and interferes with a lot of programs including Slysoft's. If you want drag-and-drop functionality, use dvd-ram instead, which is more stable.

i) Create a backup of your registry: click http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756
ii) Download imgburn. It's a free program: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
(it's also an excellent program in my opinion)
iii) Go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order. Select "clbstor". Click "Remove Selected Filter". Click "ok".
iv) Reboot

3. Click the red fox icon on your toolbar. Click "default". Click "ok".

4. Right-click on the fox icon on your toolbar, and select "Rip video-dvd to Hard Disk". Choose your source and destination paths. Click "Copy", and wait for Anydvd ripper to finish.

5. Open up a dvd software playback program. Select the "video_ts.ifo" file that you ripped in step 4 as the source. Is playback fine? Most likely, which case anything else you're experiencing is an issue on your end.

This has been a great learning curve. I have been ripping for years, long before I dicovered copy protected DVD caused my to find AnyDVD, and have never incountered a problem like this.

Yeah, it has if the original disc plays fine with Anydvd running in the background.

Now having tried several more rips I agree with your quote above, but....

Where I seem to be falling down is that I am not simply block copying a DVD, I have tried Drag and Drop, AnyDVD Ripper and SmartRipper all with AnyDVD running in the background, and when playing from the harddrive all is well.

I am under the assumption that most people here just rip the DVD to a folder and either leave it at that or burn it to blank media. This is not what I am looking for.

The problem is I am using a complex procedure to encode the DVD to an AVI file.
1. Rip the DVD with SmartRipper and AnyDVD
2. Create a D2V project using DGIndex splitting out audio
3. Create a video frame pointer file to frame serve to VirtualDub
4. Encode with VirtualDub combining the audio
5. I also strip out the subtitle streams I want
6. Combine the video, audio and subtitle streams all in to one AVI file

This make my DVD collection very neat, one file no studio adverts etc...
and I play them in WMP Classic because I like the simplicily of it. I don't own a DVD player just a PC connected to the Tele.

SmartRipper has the ability to rip one view angle. On this DVD, all is well and it successfully handles different angles up till near the end of the DVD where it cannot determine the correct angle.
This is where I am looking for help, I am wondering if this is a quirk of AnyDVD with DVD (which is why I am asking) or whether the studio didn't get the IFO correct but most players get it right but SmartRipper can't.
Unfortunatly SmartRipper is no longer under development and I have not found a better ripper for my needs.

Many thanks for the help it is much appreciated.

Can you not rip that one view angle title out FIRST with CloneDVD (streams and all) - and then process it from there??
That outta work I think for what you want.

-W

Can you not rip that one view angle title out FIRST with CloneDVD (streams and all) - and then process it from there??

-W

This is what I am doing right now, it's half-way through at the moment, have a good feeling about this. Going for 100% quality don't want any loss of detail.

I have tried Drag and Drop

Never do this with dvds containing structural protection. You must right click on the fox icon and select "rip video dvd to harddisk"--or use Clonedvd.

Your problem has nothing to do with Anydvd. The issue involves your use of other products that are not supported here.

This is where I am looking for help, I am wondering if this is a quirk of AnyDVD

Again, the bottom line is that Anydvd is handling this disc properly.

I think that in the future you might wanna make that an S.O.P. for speed and ease of workload.

1. AnyDVD in background
2. Insert disk and rip Main Movie out to a folder with CloneDVD
3. Process Main Movie as you see fit from there with your software.

-W

Last edited:
Your problem has nothing to do with Anydvd. The issue involves your use of other products that are not supported here.

Sort of.
He has any DVD and CloneDVD - he just wasn't using them for max-utility regarding what he wants to do next to the movie. ie He just wasn't using all his tools for the quickest and best end result. The other products are secondary to his mis-understanding of why things work the way they do.

He was under the false assumption that AnyDVD rips to "virgin" VOB files containing only specific elements of the disk. That is not always the case as some VOB's contain more than one disk element in them nowadays. That's why a "DOS-RIP" is no longer a viable or good thing to do.

AnyDVD (and CloneDVD) rips an unprotected, playable, happy, DVD structure. This structure assumes that the IFO files will tell the player what VOB files (or PARTS of VOB files) to play - it does not insure that the VOB files are unique to a specific title or angle. If he wants that, he needs to do a selective rip using CloneDVD.

-W

-W

Last edited:

-W

I have had an disapointing result...!

CloneDVD has sailed through at lightening speed (very impressed very nice and easy to use peice of software)

"BUT..!".

It's done NO better than AnyDVD Ripper. All the same errors are still there only now I have grey slabs padding out the change between view angles, although the second angle does not appear, and the audio goes out of sink.

It's such a shame this is the only DVD to defeat me, the rip with SmartRipper only messes up for one second toward the end of the DVD and you barely notice it. But the CloneDVD and AnyDVD Ripper are both failing.

Interestingly the preview window in CloneDVD although playing very fast does not show the errors. Only the conversion process does.

Retrying having checked "Use File System instead of internal I/O"

Fingers crossed.

He has any DVD and CloneDVD - he just wasn't using them for max-utility regarding what he wants to do next to the movie. ie He just wasn't using all his tools for the quickest and best end result. The other products are secondary to his mis-understanding of why things work the way they do.

I have not "mis-understood why things work the way they do" I bought AnyDVD because it removes the copy protection which studios put on new DVDs. I am using AnyDVD for the job that it was designed for; to alow software other than a player to access the data. And I am using SmartRipper for the job it was designed for; ripping the exact stream and view angel that I require.

I am looking to create an AVI file and not to have a DVD image on my harddrive (thay take up a lot more space).

He was under the false assumption that AnyDVD rips to "virgin" VOB files containing only specific elements of the disk. That is not always the case as some VOB's contain more than one disk element in them nowadays. That's why a "DOS-RIP" is no longer a viable or good thing to do.

I am not under the false assumption that AnyDVD rips to "virgin" VOB files containing only specific elements of the disk. That is why I use SmartRipper because with my experience today (and this DVD has stumped me for six months) SmartRipper can and still is ripping me a cleaner copy compaired to AnyDVD Ripper or CloneDVD.

AnyDVD (and CloneDVD) rips an unprotected, playable, happy, DVD structure. This structure assumes that the IFO files will tell the player what VOB files (or PARTS of VOB files) to play - it does not insure that the VOB files are unique to a specific title or angle. If he wants that, he needs to do a selective rip using CloneDVD.

Have done two selective rips using CloneDVD different setting and different audio streams, both have same error.

No. It is. And the menu structure defines what angle to play.

This is not an Anydvd issue.

Thread moved to Third Party Product forum . . .

Think that this move might have been a bit premature.

The last rip has been:
1. AnyDVD running on system tray
2. Rip completed with CloneDVD 100% quality to DVD files on HDD (I assume it does a direct copy of data and not re-encodes)
3. View outputed files in PowerDVD grey slabs when angle two used to jump in with AnyDVD Ripper.

I am now only using software supplied by yourselves, and the problem is still there.
The disc plays correctly, it is only after being through only AnyDVD software that the problem occurs.

Please move thread back to AnyDVD Forum, I feel I have found a valid problem, just because I wish to do other things with the data does not make it a Third Party Product problem anymore, I am trying to isolate where the problem is. I fully appreciate than Ratatouille has given may people problems, I have read all the posts in the forums, but I feel that maybe only part of the problem has been resolved and that will keep 99% of people happy, but there is still something going on that is not right.

..... maybe this helps .....

After ripping to HDD using the AnyDVD"Ripper'/ CloneDVD2

Use this utility to Select / Remove extra Angles
View attachment del_angles.zip

This should resolve the interleavened/'grey slabs' problem

The issue is that the Software used
- doesn't properly support inter-leavened cells
( similar issue with VobBlanker )
This tool resolves the problem by removing the extra angles

;)

Many thanks shannon will give it a try.

The issue is that the Software used
- doesn't properly support inter-leavened cells
( similar issue with VobBlanker )

Interesting that you should say that, because in theory CloneDVD has the option to remove them, and it sort of does but leave a mess.

Think that this move might have been a bit premature.

The last rip has been:
1. AnyDVD running on system tray
2. Rip completed with CloneDVD 100% quality to DVD files on HDD (I assume it does a direct copy of data and not re-encodes)
3. View outputed files in PowerDVD grey slabs when angle two used to jump in with AnyDVD Ripper

Did you rip the whole disk with CloneDVD or just the title you wanted?

If just the title you wanted....
How did CloneDVD list the titles/ angles?
Could you see them both and select the one you wanted?

Whewn I did this disk I ripped the whole disk to the HD with the AnyDVD ripper. I then opened that rip in DVDShrink and took Title1/Angle1. And as far as I know - that's *all* I got and it worked fine.

-W

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back