• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Problem with "Live Free or Die Hard"

To me it looks like a defective disc and / or reader.

Hey James,

Just so you know, I'm having the same problem, and I updated to 6.2.0.2 beta and get an error message at 46%. With 6.2.0.1 it stopped at 48%. I've cleaned the disc, and haven't had a problem like this before (except with Blades of Glory a few weeks ago, which was fixed with an update).

I believe the disc and my reader are working properly.

Hey James,

Just so you know, I'm having the same problem, and I updated to 6.2.0.2 beta and get an error message at 46%. With 6.2.0.1 it stopped at 48%. I've cleaned the disc, and haven't had a problem like this before (except with Blades of Glory a few weeks ago, which was fixed with an update).

I believe the disc and my reader are working properly.

I doubt it (unless Anydvd 6.2.0.1 introduced an issue involving the layer break). There's nothing very exciting in terms of protection on this disc

At this point I think it is the rough layer switch on the original that is causing the problem. I have made three different copies using different anydvd settings that play well all the way through except for the layer break.

It is not the first time I have seen an original with a rough layer break.

Last edited:
Whitedesigns.

After more coasters in the last few days than I have seen in two years I think I may have figured the problem out. Whitedesigns it seems as if we burn in the same manor, going by some of your comments in your post. Before all my problems started I did a little cleaning on my computer, getting rid of a lot unused programs that included about 3 different useless burning programs and upgraded my Oem version of nero.

Any way, long story short. Try lowering the read speed of your source disc to within 2x of your writing drive speed. Of course your write speed will depend on your burner and the speed rating of your media. For example if your dl write media is 2x the max speed on your read drive should be 4x. If your dl write media is 6x and your burner will write at 6x, then have your read drive set to read at 6x. Nero drive speed can do this for you. I do not know what other programs can do this.

interesting......

Exchanged the DVD that would not copy. Looks like it's working now with a new DVD, exactly the same in every way as the first. Hmmm......... It certainly is not hanging up while scanning the disc. I'll post again if it works.

thanks!

backed up with no problems

Thanks for your help! It appears that I just had a defective LFODH DVD. The new one backed up no problem.

Thanks for your help! It appears that I just had a defective LFODH DVD. The new one backed up no problem.

I'm glad to hear you resolved the problem. I suspected it was the disc but now we know for sure that it was. :)

Unfortunately, badly manufactured retail releases are becoming more and more common with the consumer being the one hurt by this. For those people who only watch DVDs in their standalone players and who don't make backups it's likely they don't even realize just how many bad discs they might own because the many standalone players will play the disc w/o problems. Consumers are being screwed and the Industry is making bigger and bigger profits while using cheaper media and out-sourcing the disc pressing to the lowest bidder.

I'm glad to hear you resolved the problem. I suspected it was the disc but now we know for sure that it was. :)

Unfortunately, badly manufactured retail releases are becoming more and more common with the consumer being the one hurt by this. For those people who only watch DVDs in their standalone players and who don't make backups it's likely they don't even realize just how many bad discs they might own because the many standalone players will play the disc w/o problems. Consumers are being screwed and the Industry is making bigger and bigger profits while using cheaper media and out-sourcing the disc pressing to the lowest bidder.

I am glad you all had happy ending to resolving your problem, I had the same problem and went back to exchange my copy at Bestbuy. They sent me over to the GeekSquad and the put into their DVD standalone. The guy says there was nothing wrong with it. I told him it doesn't play on my player. Another Geek guy came out and took the DVD into the back, 10 minutes later he came back and asked to come to the end of counter. He told the only way I knew it was a bad copy was I tried to copy it. I asked him what he was talking about, he told that he tried copying it with AnyDvd and it hung up at 43%. I still acted stupid about it and he told me he had worked for Slysoft and they would not replace the DVD. His first name was Tony. I got burned for $24.99 and had to go elsewhere to buy another copy. Lesson learned! Shop Walmart!

I am glad you all had happy ending to resolving your problem, I had the same problem and went back to exchange my copy at Bestbuy. They sent me over to the GeekSquad and the put into their DVD standalone. The guy says there was nothing wrong with it. I told him it doesn't play on my player. Another Geek guy came out and took the DVD into the back, 10 minutes later he came back and asked to come to the end of counter. He told the only way I knew it was a bad copy was I tried to copy it. I asked him what he was talking about, he told that he tried copying it with AnyDvd and it hung up at 43%. I still acted stupid about it and he told me he had worked for Slysoft and they would not replace the DVD. His first name was Tony. I got burned for $24.99 and had to go elsewhere to buy another copy. Lesson learned! Shop Walmart!

A bad disc is a bad disc. And, remember a lot of people use HTPCs now and not standalone players.

While trying to make a backup does tend to make bad discs evident the simple fact is that they do exist and not every standalone DVD player handles flawed discs so well. If you purchase a disc and it won't play then that's the deal. Go back and demand a replacement. It doesn't matter if they play it on the store's own in-house players or not. You made a purchase and the purchase was defective. Ask to speak with a manager. If they still refuse to replace the disc then complain even louder. You paid for a good disc and you should get a good disc.

I got burned for $24.99 and had to go elsewhere to buy another copy. Lesson learned! Shop Walmart!

Why did you have to buy a second one? Just use the first one until it got all beat up and then buy a second one if you need to. Just my 2 cents.

Back