• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Problem with "Live Free or Die Hard"

I cannot burn a backup of Live Free or Die Hard using anydvd 6.2.0.1 and clone dvd 2.9.1.2. While doing a scan before burning, Clone DVD2 hangs up and will not continue. This is when trying to copy the disc or just the individual title. There is no problem with my media, burner or settings. A fix needs to be created for this issue.

You didn't mention which region the disc is and you didn't specify which release you purchased. There are at least 2 different Region 1 releases of this disc. Without any information no one can really help you.

Please post the LOG file created when you enable logging and post it. If a "fix" is actually needed then these logs will help locate the problem. Please refer here for how to locate and post the log files if you don't already know how.

log file attached

The disc says: "Live Free or Die Hard" widescreen. As for which version? Don't know how to tell. Any DVD says:

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2024592 sectors (3954 MBytes)
Total size: 4049175 sectors (7908 MBytes)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• AnyDVD_Info_D_LIVEFREE_OR_DIEHARD_BRANCH.zip
    86.9 KB · Views: 8
The disc says: "Live Free or Die Hard" widescreen. As for which version? Don't know how to tell. Any DVD says:

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2024592 sectors (3954 MBytes)
Total size: 4049175 sectors (7908 MBytes)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You have the Region 1 Widescreen & Unrated release (LIVEFREE_OR_DIEHARD_BRANCH). This has both the unrated and theatrical releases in widescreen.

You also have Nero InCD installed which is known to cause problems as do pretty much all packet-writing software. I would recommend uninstalling it, rebooting, and trying to make a backup again.

Others may see more problems in the logs that I haven't.

Ok

So far I have backed up about 200 dvds with the configuration you mentioned. I will try uninstalling the program you mention, but I have had no problems with any DVD until now.

removed in cd, no luck

I removed incd, and still cannot backup the DVD. It scans to about 48% and locks up. I am using a new Alienware M5700 laptop and have had no problems backing up DVD's in the past.

I appreciate the help, however, I find the resistance to considering there may be a problem within Clone or AnyDVD interesting.

Hopefully others will have this same problem and post here so the focus of fixing the problem can be directed appropriately.

So far I have backed up about 200 dvds with the configuration you mentioned. I will try uninstalling the program you mention, but I have had no problems with any DVD until now.

Others who had problems at one point or another have said similar things. I can't explain it, personally, but I also refuse to use packet-writing software. The filters that are part of the Nero InCD and other packet-writing software can cause odd behavior at times and in cases where people have steadfastly refused to acknowledge that packet-writing software could be the cause of a problem it has turned out that it was.

In your case, this appears to not be a problem with this particular disc however it might cause problems later if you re-install it. This is up to you. IMHO, you're better off using a DVD burner that supports DVD-RAM.

I removed incd, and still cannot backup the DVD. It scans to about 48% and locks up. I am using a new Alienware M5700 laptop and have had no problems backing up DVD's in the past.

I appreciate the help, however, I find the resistance to considering there may be a problem within Clone or AnyDVD interesting.

Hopefully others will have this same problem and post here so the focus of fixing the problem can be directed appropriately.

I don't resist considering there is a problem with AnyDVD or CloneDVD. In the past I have located and posted about a problem with AnyDVD. I posted information about what I did, how the problem occured, etc. The problem was pinpointed and resolved.

In searching for the cause of a problem if I see something like Nero InCD, which is known to cause problems, then I will suggest that it may be part of the problem. Automatically assuming the problem must be AnyDVD isn't the best way to approach resolving a problem just as automatically assuming AnyDVD isn't the cause. I've ruled nothing out. The best way to try and solve the problem is to make sure there are no other things that may cause a mysterious problem (ie Nero InCD or Roxio DirectCD) on your system, as well. Isolating and removing outside interferences help in pinpointing a problem.

Do me a favor and please try ripping this disc to your HDD using the AnyDVD ripper which is part of AnyDVD. I'd like to know if you receive an error message when ripping it this way. If you receive an error then please post what the error message is. If you do not receive an error message then please open the output files on your HDD with CloneDVD and see if the same problem occurs as before.

It scans to about 48% and locks up.

Drinklyeanddie has absolutely no issues with the exact same disc. 48% would probably be around the layer break position, which may imply a fault with the original disc (or possibly your drive).

1. Update to Anydvd 6.2.0.2: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=10074

2. You've got a some junk on your system, as noted previously by Drinklyeanddie.

InCDPass (System32\DRIVERS\InCDPass.sys), Version: 4.3.14.1 (4.3.14.1)
Company: Nero AG
Product: InCD
Copyright: Copyright 1995-2005 Nero AG and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.
Description: Ahead RW Filter Driver
Trademarks: InCD is a trademark of Nero AG
FileVersion: 4, 3, 14, 1
ProductVersion: 4, 3, 14, 1

incdrm (system32\drivers\incdrm.sys), Version: 4.3.14.1 (4.3.14.1)
Company: Nero AG
Product: EasyWrite Reader
Copyright: Copyright 1995-2005 Nero AG and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.
Description: Ahead MRW Filter Driver
Trademarks: InCD is a trademark of Nero AG
FileVersion: 4, 3, 14, 1
ProductVersion: 4, 3, 14, 1

AFS2K (system32\drivers\AFS2K.sys), Version: 3.1.21.0 (3.1.21.0)
Company: Oak Technology Inc.
Product: AFS
Copyright: Copyright (C) Oak Technology Inc.
Description: Audio File System
FileVersion: 3.1.21.1103
ProductVersion: 3.1.21.2(1103)
PrivateBuild: 3.1.21.2(1103)
SpecialBuild: Windows 2000/XP free build.

So, in addition to the Incd packet writing junk, you also have a CD-Rom Driver by OAK Software and HP Memories Disc that James dislikes due to the amount of crashing issues associated with it.

i) Create a backup of your registry
ii) Download imgburn. It's a free program: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
(it's also an excellent program imo)
iii) Go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order. Select "incdrm". Click "Remove Selected Filter". Select "InCDPass". Click "Remove Selected Filter". Select "Select "AFS2K." Click "Remove Selected Filter". Select "CDR4_XP ". Click "Remove Selected filter." Click "ok".
iv) Reboot

3. Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. With Anydvd running in the background, select the tab labeled "scandisc". Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your disc is (probably) bad and needs to be exchanged--even if it plays fine (or your optical drive could be slowly dying).

4. With Anydvd 6.2.0.2, do this:

a)Click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
b) Navigate to "Program Settings".
c) Click "enable logging".
d) Click "ok".
e) Put the problematic disc in your optical drive/reader.
f) Go to your "My Documents" folder
g) You will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip"
h) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
attach.gif

i) if you don't see that icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
j) a small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
k) click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
l) click "upload"

Last edited:

I have burns well into the 1000's. My copy of L.F.D.H. has a very bad layer break, it is almost as if some scenes were jumped but they were not it just has a bad layer break. Or it could be choosing the unrated version that causes that bad jump at the layer break.

When I went to make a copy it would not even start to copy it. Some how I got it to burn, however after the layer break the movie began to breakup and became un playable even in my cyberhome which plays everything. I reinstalled my burning programs put in an older version on any dvd. Finally I added a new burner as the reader I had laying around. Anyway I got a better burn, but not what I am use to. I burn differently than most, and almost everything is double layer.

I have two different playable copies I have made using different setting with any dvd. My next two will be with 6201 AI off, and 6201 AI off and leaving some of the protections intact. So far my best burn has been with 6197 everything at default. My worst was 6201 with everything at default.

It could be that the dvd was just poorly mastered. If you look at the FBI warning the printing is very fuzzy.

error when ripping

Here's the error message when trying to rip the dvd:

TitleSet 3
35% processed

fileIO 3 VTS_03_3.VOB 548233216 526336

I have burns well into the 1000's. My copy of L.F.D.H. has a very bad layer break, it is almost as if some scenes were jumped but they were not it just has a bad layer break. Or it could be choosing the unrated version that causes that bad jump at the layer break.

1. Update to Anydvd 6.2.0.2

If your backup skips . . .

1. Update your burner's firmware (if available)
http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=12794&postcount=10

2. Use good quality media (Memorex, Ritek, Princo, Fuji, TDK from Costco, and Maxell that are not made in Japan are not good quality media). Are you using inferior blank media? If you're not using Taiyo Yuden Premium, Verbatim, Maxell Plus, or Maxell Broadcast Quality, then chances are the answer is yes.
If you use poor quality blank media, then you should expect problems.

visit http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4764653&postcount=25
and
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3976250

3. Try lowering your burn speed a little (if you have a 16x burner and 16x rated media try writing to it at 12x or 8x instead of 16x)

4. If you're using +R, +RW, or +R DL media, change the booktype to "dvd-rom"
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 (step 3)

5. Avoid sticker labels (they tend to cause problems)

6. Try setting a custom size of 4300 in whatever burning program you're using (but if you're using good media, you shouldn't have to) if you're using regular single layer dvd-5 (4.7GB) discs.

7. Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. Select the tab labeled "scandisc". Insert the problematic backup disc, select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your backup is bad (which is the most likely case), your optical drive may be slowly dying, or your optical drive simply doesn't like the disc (or your choice of blank media)--even if the disc looks fine.

Bad burn quality is notorious around the end of discs (see step 6)
and also at layer breaks when using low quality DL media (use Verbatim +R DL media made in Singapore, and change the booktype to "dvd-rom")

trying Webslinger's directions

Ok, I have attached the new log file. I think I uninstalled the filter drivers as instructed, as well as installing the latest version of anydvd. The disc scans OK with nero cd dvd speed.

I am still stuck with the same problem, unfortunately. Thanks to Webslinger and Drinklyeanddie for the suggestions and help!

Attachments

• AnyDVD_Info_D_LIVEFREE_OR_DIEHARD_BRANCH.zip
    86.7 KB · Views: 5
The disc scans OK with nero cd dvd speed.

I am still stuck with the same problem, unfortunately.

You still get TitleSet 3
35% processed

fileIO 3 VTS_03_3.VOB 548233216 526336

??

Ok, well, in that case, I'm not too sure what's going on. James will have a better idea. You should probably wait to see what he says.

sorry!

No, I haven't tried ripping the DVD, just copying it, but I will do that now.
thanks!

hangs up while ripping

This time made it to:

Title Set 3
35% processed

fileIO 3 VTS_03_3.VOB 547063808 39930

To me it looks like a defective disc and / or reader.

James is 100% right, this DVD has no serious protection whatsoever.
The only protection this DVD has is:

Content scramble system (CSS) which AnyDVD removes.
Regional Coding Enhancement (RCE) which AnyDVD removes.
APS Analog protection system (APS) which AnyDVD does not mention but removes.

and that is it.

I copied this disc with no trouble thanks slysoft.

returning defective dvd

I am returning the Live Free or Die Hard DVD and getting a replacement.

I will post if I have a problem backing up the new copy.

BTW, just backed up 2 DVD's this AM, no problems whatsoever.

Back