• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PowerDVD 9... start your bashing in 3, 2, 1...

So you just reported your problems with ATI/AMD Graphic cards.

@PowerDVD 9 owners:
Any issues so far with Nvidia Cards series 8 or 9?

Either in seriousness or jest I wish you never posted this in public, James. You do realize just how much we are now going to be hounded as to when a SlyPlayer will be released, right?
You can just tell them the 1st of April this or next year. Seen some terrible jokes on that day. ;)

Thank you!
BurnerHEAD

Well, I'm thoroughly disgusted with this build. My current problems:

Played ONE disc...TDK....showed up as TrueHD 2.0 and indeed only gave 2 channel audio on my 4850.

NOW won't play ANY disc at all. Simply disappears. Awesome! Yea, they have 28 days to fix it else I'm requesting a refund. Time to open a support ticket.

Do you have any analog audio or otherwise disabled? If you do, what happens if you enable it? I had something similar happen to me with the analog audio disabled on my PC, IIRC. Although I probably don't remember correctly, cause of the other thousand problems trying to do HDMI properly. If there's no "8 speakers" option, it won't work for me. I think I'm gonna try it see what happens. Wish me luck luck luck.

Actually, this was always a workaround. The problem is when playing 5.1 content in 7.1 systems. If you have Vista set to 7.1, PowerDVD should send the side surrounds to the sides without having to set it in Vista every time you wanna play 5.1 content. It should work exactly as if you selected "8 speakers".

The main difference between "HDMI"/PCM mode and 6,8 speaker modes is that HDMI/PCM tries to be smart and so if it reads a 5.1 source, it will set PowerDVD automatically as if you set it to "6 speakers". If it reads a 7.1 source, it will set it as if you set it to "8 speakers".

I see what they're trying to do, and if it worked, it's good, but the way it's implemented is just stupid. It's what the PS3 and I assume other bluray players do. They send 5.1 PCM if a 5.1 source is played and 7.1 PCM from a 7.1 source. Except that the numbnuts didn't bypass the Vista audio I/O. If PowerDVD it set VISTA, and not its own output, to 5.1 or 7.1 automatically, that would achieve what they wanted, and indeed it would be a great feature. It's gonna probably take another couple of VERSIONS for them to realize that mistake though.

They have bigger fish to fry. :D I opened a support ticket on the issues I, James, and Peer are having. ATI 4850 in Vista 32, the damn thing plays one disc. One disc only. After that, if you try to play a disc, the player just disappears back to the desktop. I told them in the support ticket that if it's not fixed in an acceptable time frame I'll be requesting a refund as it's COMPLETELY useless to me right now.

Now, once that's fixed, I too would LOVE to see them fix the sound issue(s). That'd be really nice.

Haven't tried it on my other HTPC yet. No HDMI audio on that machine. But I am running analog 5.1. It's got an 8800 GT in it. I'll maybe try it later today.

Do you have any analog audio or otherwise disabled? If you do, what happens if you enable it? I had something similar happen to me with the analog audio disabled on my PC, IIRC. Although I probably don't remember correctly, cause of the other thousand problems trying to do HDMI properly. If there's no "8 speakers" option, it won't work for me. I think I'm gonna try it see what happens. Wish me luck luck luck.

I'm ONLY running HDMI audio on that machine from the 4850. I don't have analog connected at all. I had a b!tch of a time getting HDMI audio to work on that thing to begin with so I don't really want to mess with it. Definitely wishing you luck. I do know that I'm several versions behind in audio drivers on that machine. It's been working so I didn't want to screw with it. However, I may update the audio drivers and see if that makes any difference. I dobut it though.

Then you're only getting half the BD experience. ;) You do realize, don't you, that I use TMT as my main player and have no problems with it? :) I get nice HD audio in 7.1 over HDMI. Works great. Sounds amazing. ;) No, these problems with PDVD 9 don't actually affect my ability to play my movies in the least. If all else fails, I always have my PS3. :)

Don't you remember me lol? I am the guy w/ the giant audiophile amps and speakers, I am getting more "blue ray experience" than 98% of ppl 7.1 audio or not that do not pwn amps and speakers that can convey the 20-20,000Hz goodness of even plain jane DD

But having said that I will get a DTS HD recever or pre-pro 1 day when it is convienent, honestly right now I can't afford to spend big bucks just to see another light "light up" on my receiver

I am happy for you tho' Sammy

ocgw

peace

Last edited:
They have bigger fish to fry. :D I opened a support ticket on the issues I, James, and Peer are having. ATI 4850 in Vista 32, the damn thing plays one disc. One disc only. After that, if you try to play a disc, the player just disappears back to the desktop. I told them in the support ticket that if it's not fixed in an acceptable time frame I'll be requesting a refund as it's COMPLETELY useless to me right now.

Now, once that's fixed, I too would LOVE to see them fix the sound issue(s). That'd be really nice.

Damn so this is happening to you three? Downloading right now...

Don't you remember me lol? I am the guy w/ the giant audiophile amps and speakers, I am getting more "blue ray experience" than 98% of ppl 7.1 audio or not that do not pwn amps and speakers that can convey the 20-20,000Hz goodness of even plain jane DD

But having said that I will get a DTS HD recever or pre-pro 1 day when it is convienent, honestly right now I can't afford to spend big bucks just to see another light "light up" on my receiver

I am happy for you tho' Sammy

ocgw

peace

I know you have kick ass equipment. But SPDIF just doesn't have the bandwidth for HD audio. So you ARE missing out. :) LOL :) (And yes, I'm messing with you. I know you're happy with your sound and that's all that matters)

Damn so this is happening to you three? Downloading right now...

Yea, well, I just updated my audio drivers, rebooted, and I'm playing an image of The Simpsons right now. So, not sure what the hell's going on. But it's working such that it is. I have NO idea what's going on with it.

Ah kill me now. Ok, so the crashing to the desktop problem is fixed. I've played a couple films, all good, whatever. What is NOT good, though, is the fact that I'm only getting 2 channel sound on everything. I know my sound is working correctly as I can play everything fine with PowerDVD 7. However 9 is totally boned. And because I pooched my catalyst drivers, TMT is having issues now. (Debating going back to working cat drivers but that has a whole host of issues in and of itself). Basically this has turned into a semi-nightmare. I really dislike Cyberlink for pushing this crap. 9 seems like it could be a nice player if the problems get fixed. But I think my priority right now is to get TMT working again.

I downloaded PDVD9 trial, it looks and sounds great playing directly from a .m2ts file for me which is not bad, but I don't need to spend $100USD to do that, and I am happy w/ my spdif audio so I don't need it

I hope it works for the ppl looking for something more

btw Sammy I am shrinking a blu ray w/ BD Rebuilder right now, & I got 5.1 sound from PDVD9 w/o a reboot lmao (sorry to hear about the TMT issue)

AC3 Filter ftw!

ocgw

peace

Last edited:
I see what they're trying to do, and if it worked, it's good, but the way it's implemented is just stupid. It's what the PS3 and I assume other bluray players do. They send 5.1 PCM if a 5.1 source is played and 7.1 PCM from a 7.1 source. Except that the numbnuts didn't bypass the Vista audio I/O. If PowerDVD set VISTA, and not only its own output, to 5.1 or 7.1 automatically, that would achieve what they wanted, and indeed it would be a great feature. It's gonna probably take another couple of VERSIONS for them to realize that mistake though. .

I think that in Vista there are 2 relevant checkboxes in order to enable / disable the capability of applications taking control of the audio device (but it seems that pdvd doesn’t want to take that control :p)

Last edited:
Yea, well, I just updated my audio drivers, rebooted, and I'm playing an image of The Simpsons right now. So, not sure what the hell's going on. But it's working such that it is. I have NO idea what's going on with it.

Oh, I remember now. Did you have your mobo audio disabled in BIOS? That's what crashed PDVD 8.0.2521 for me. I had to enable it in BIOS and then disable it in Vista.

This is messed the hell up. I went back to catalyst 8.12 and that fixed TMT (thank GOD!). PowerDVD 9 also seems to be working still. So I think the crash we were seeing was related to the audio drivers. So now the only issue I have left is the 2 channel audio through HDMI crap. One of the two big draws of PDVD 9 was the non-down sampled audio through HDMI, so, this seems like an issue to me. Also the whole DTS 7.1 thing also irritates me. Really, can't they just put out software that works?

Oh, I remember now. Did you have your mobo audio disabled in BIOS? That's what crashed PDVD 8.0.2521 for me. I had to enable it in BIOS and then disable it in Vista.

No. I don't even have it disabled in Vista. I just simply don't use it. I set my audio to HDMI and call it good.

The monopoly of both TMT and Cyberlink will soon be over with Slyplayer. I'll wait.

Wanna' hear something really strange, PDVD9 has an uncanny ability to play a subtitle in a .ts file made from joined VOB files that already had the subtitles removed

Now that is amazing!!

But the upscaling around the subtitles wasn't bad lol

ocgw

peace

This is messed the hell up. I went back to catalyst 8.12 and that fixed TMT (thank GOD!).
That's a known problem with TMT and the 9 drivers. TMT are working on it, according to Jason at Arcsoft.

So now the only issue I have left is the 2 channel audio through HDMI crap.

At least THAT problem is bound to be fixed eventually. I mean come on, I know it's Cyberlink, but that's just too much. Now, you only have to choose what currently working feature you need broken for the bug to be fixed.:D

That's a known problem with TMT and the 9 drivers. TMT are working on it, according to Jason at Arcsoft.

I know. I follow the arcsoft forum regularly. It's why I stayed on 8.12. The only reason I went to 9.2 was to see if it fixed PowerDVD 9's crap...which it didn't. So back to 8.12 I went. TMT's happy again. ANXIOUSLY awaiting a new build from Arcsoft. I'm guessing next week or so based on their previous release schedules.

At least THAT problem is bound to be fixed eventually. I mean come on, I know it's Cyberlink, but that's just too much. Now, you only have to choose what currently working feature you need broken for the bug to be fixed.:D

Right, ok, so let's say they fix it. Does that fix DTS-HD MA 7.1? Or do we need to buy some audo pack to get that? And if an existing feature must be broken to fix 2 channel audio, I sacrifice....MOVIE LIVE! :D

Does it still disable Aero mode when used with an NVIDIA card on Vista for blu-ray playback?

Back