• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PowerDVD 9... start your bashing in 3, 2, 1...

So far my first impressions are....that this is a cyberlink product. :( That's not a good thing. Dark Knight, set to HDMI audio, only plays 2 channels. The info display shows TrueHD 2.0. So not helpful. Honestly NOT amused so far.

For me it doesn't work at all. With or without AnyDVD. :bang:
(Vista, ATI4850, Catalyst 8.12)

Me either man. I'm not too pleased. I got to play one disc. After that, it simply crashes with no error. WOO HOO! Also a 4850. Not remembering what catalyst are on that machine but probably 8.12.

For me it doesn't work at all. With or without AnyDVD. :bang:
(Vista, ATI4850, Catalyst 8.12)

It seems that the 4850 is a bit plagued with issues driver-wise and that's on top of ATI driver issues to begin with. I see this everywhere in game forums and even in ATI's own forums. I realize you've found issues with the driver releases in terms of different things, James, but it would be interesting to see if a driver update made the PowerDVD9 work on that system.

I have a 4870 under Vista SP1 x64 and am using the 9.2 Catalyst drivers and so far I've had no catastrophic errors. I've actually not run across any problems at this point.

The BD-J signature notication thing is new but other than that I haven't seen any AnyDVD specific issues yet but I also haven't had time to really look at much and my BD library isn't exactly huge.

It seems that the 4850 is a bit plagued with issues driver-wise and that's on top of ATI driver issues to begin with. I see this everywhere in game forums and even in ATI's own forums. I realize you've found issues with the driver releases in terms of different things, James, but it would be interesting to see if a driver update made the PowerDVD9 work on that system.

I have a 4870 under Vista SP1 x64 and am using the 9.2 Catalyst drivers and so far I've had no catastrophic errors. I've actually not run across any problems at this point.

The BD-J signature notication thing is new but other than that I haven't seen any AnyDVD specific issues yet but I also haven't had time to really look at much and my BD library isn't exactly huge.

I'll try updating my driver tomorrow and see if it helps me. I do think the 8.12 driver is screwed up. I was holding off updating because the new drivers cause problems in TMT, so, yea.....sign me up on the hardware player bandwagon at this point.

I'll try updating my driver tomorrow and see if it helps me. I do think the 8.12 driver is screwed up. I was holding off updating because the new drivers cause problems in TMT, so, yea.....sign me up on the hardware player bandwagon at this point.
Been there, done that. Save yourself the trouble, it doesn't work.

SlyPlayer is coming... :D

SlyPlayer is coming... :D

Either in seriousness or jest I wish you never posted this in public, James. :( You do realize just how much we are now going to be hounded as to when a SlyPlayer will be released, right? :bang:

That does suck if the newer drivers don't work for you. Very interesting and sad. You guys can get TMT to work and it won't for me and yet I can use PowerDVD and yet you cannot. :confused:

Either in seriousness or jest I wish you never posted this in public, James. :( You do realize just how much we are now going to be hounded as to when a SlyPlayer will be released, right? :bang:
February, of course. :D

That does suck if the newer drivers don't work for you. Very interesting and sad. You guys can get TMT to work and it won't for me and yet I can use PowerDVD and yet you cannot. :confused:
TMT (up to .125), PowerDVD 7 & 8 all work fine (okay, I spared myself the trouble of the latest builds - no need for them.)
PowerDVD 9 - not so.

Been there, done that. Save yourself the trouble, it doesn't work.

God I love my life. What an AWESOME new player we have! The only reason I bought it was to be able to support it on the forums.

Not anymore most likely as I updated to 9.2 before I saw James' reply. Hopefully Arcsoft fixes TMT to work properly with the new drivers. Maybe Cyberlink will fix PowerDVD 9. BAHAHAHA. I can't say that with a straight face.

Nvidia GC, Intel CPU, P45 chipset, Vista 64bit SP1. I keep this system pretty clean as it is my main workstation so no FFDShow etc. I will try my AMD/Vista 32bit system later, it has more "junk" on it.

Well, 9 works fine for me (one exception below) and the upscaling of SD DVD's is better than what you get without it but not great. It played all my movie only BD backups just fine mounted with VCD 5423. It played all the BD disks I threw at it. I only have 5.1 audio going through a SB Xfi card to a nice set of Logitechs and surround works fine. Hell Boy 2 says HD Master audio 7.1 outputting LPCM 48KHz/24bits and sounds really good. Felon says TrueHD 5.1 and surround works fine says output LPCM 48KHz/24bit.

Now, I have one full movie backup ISO I use for testing, I am Legend. I made the ISO with AnyDVD 6.5.2.3 or 6.5.2.4 I can't remember which. I simply inserted disk let AnyDVD do it's thing and then right clicked and ripped to image keeping protections. PDVD 8 plays it fine PDVD9 says it will not play from virtual drives.

So I have 7,8 & 9 installed It looks like I may remove 8 after a little time to make sure 9 does not freak out.

Last edited:
PowerDVD 9 Ultra

I upgraded to PowerDVD 9 Ultra today and I could not play Blu-Ray Discs... I get an error that the disc was not the right format... So I uninstalled it then installed the older version PowerDVD 7 to make sure it all worked and it did. So I then re-installed version 9 and now it works...weird.

As mentioned on avs:

It makes sense.

Most likely it is dts core.

I run several tests with PDVD 8 and concluded that DTS HD MA 7.1 decoding was broken and probably we where still being served good old DTS core.

It seems that now they are actually admitting the problem by removing DTS HD 7.1 from the specs.

My 8.0.2217 is working seemingly fine with DTS-HD MA 7.1. Just built up my HT with my spankin super cool Pioneer VSX-01TXH, but from a quick check, the rears were working. Tried with Oldboy.

ReClock is your friend. It will configure the speaker channels for you, if you set PowerDVD8 to HDMI output.

Unfortunately PowerDVD does more than just mess up the channels when you select HDMI. It tries to be "smart", so for instance, if it detects a 5.1 track, it will set itself up as if you set it manually to "6 speaker" (This situation is where the sides go to the rears mistakenly). If it detects a 7.1 source, it will set itself up as if you set it manually to "8 speakers", and mapping everything correctly.

Not only that, but when in HDMI mode, PowerDVD 8 still has a bug where 7.1 TrueHD content is decoded in 5.1. Thanks for letting me know about Reclock though, it seems like a very handy app, I could have used it when Nvidia had its driver wrongly map channels, but they fixed that with the latest HDMI driver.

So far my first impressions are....that this is a cyberlink product. :( That's not a good thing. Dark Knight, set to HDMI audio, only plays 2 channels. The info display shows TrueHD 2.0. So not helpful. Honestly NOT amused so far.

That's their bug with TrueHD. I think 8.0.2450 and 2521 had this very same bug, and 2217 decodes 7.1 in only 5.1. I have reported it and after a couple back-and-forths, the rep told me they forwarded to the relevant parties. So you can REST ASSURED it will be FIXED! :D There has been for AGES (before 8 ), another related bug, where TrueHD was decoded in 2.0 when you selected headphones. If you use Dolby Headphone, you want the thing to be decoded in 5.1, and then encoded to DH, so DH didn't work with mutichannel TrueHD tracks. They've never fixed that.

By the way, can you set it to 8 speaker as you could in 8.0.2217? Another bug I reported was that in 2450 and 2521, the "speaker" options were not present if you didn't have an analog card enabled (using HDMI as your only audio device). When you started the disc, those options appeared though, and you could change on-the-fly. I wonder if that happens again with PowerDVD 9 or if they just took the speaker options out altogether if you're only using HDMI.

Last edited:
I just tested with another BD-Live disc. Yes, it throws up the message you mentioned. I clicked on No and then it merrily went on to play the disc.

This seems to be more of a warning message that the content may be unsafe from reading the message.

Now, is that with the latest beta (6.5.2.5 or higher)?

The changelog entry:

Code:
 - Fix (Blu-ray): Playback issues with Panasonic Blu-ray players

Is relevant, I redid the whole BD-J signing thing, because Panasonic players weren't happy with our signatures either.

Back