• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PowerDVD 8 and HD DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.
A request for an installation batch file has been made. This will NOT work on x64 OS'. You'll need to modify it for those. This batch file needs to be in the same top level directory as the IMP, and a Navfilter folder needs to exist with the proper dll's and ax file. Otherwise, modify it for your system.

installHDDVD.bat
Code:
@echo off
set pathToPowerDVD=c:\Program Files\Cyberlink\PowerDVD8
copy /y DeskBand32.dll "%pathToPowerDVD%"
copy /y js32.dll "%pathToPowerDVD%"
copy /y HDDVD_X.IMP "%pathToPowerDVD%"

copy /y .\Navfilter\CLHDSPDecoder.dll "%pathToPowerDVD%\Navfilter"
copy /y .\Navfilter\hddvd_logo.png "%pathToPowerDVD%\Navfilter"
copy /y .\Navfilter\HDDVDAdvNav.dll "%pathToPowerDVD%\Navfilter"
copy /y .\Navfilter\HDDVDNav.ax "%pathToPowerDVD%\Navfilter"
copy /y .\Navfilter\HDDVDNavi.dll "%pathToPowerDVD%\Navfilter"

%systemroot%\system32\regsvr32 /s "%pathToPowerDVD%\Navfilter\HDDVDNav.ax"

TOTALLY UNTESTED OFF THE CUFF SCRIPT WARNING! :)

I wrote it on the fly right here on the forum. Has not been tested at ALL. If there are any issues, I'll attempt to update this post with a fixed version. If it blows up your machine, well, oops. Sorry. :)

Thx,

I'll give it a try after making the mods for Vist 64.

Those who need to modify batch files I write will appreciate my liberal use of path variables. :D Change it once, instead of for every line.

Still having green screen with AVC encoded discs PLEASE HELP

Hey Guys, im still having problems with Cyberlink POwerDVD 8?

Even if i turn off Slysoft to see if it was the program it wasent even that?

i heard it has been happening lately with Nvidia and Cyberlink.

I tried turning off the Hardware Acceleration if it was that, it wasent even that either?

I do have FFdshow and have updated it but still hasent even fixed that up?

I DONT KNOW what to do?

Can someone please help?

Okay, followed the batch procedure with the PDVD8 Beta files and HD-DVD functionality now seems to be operational.

PQ seems improved over PDVD7.3, however everything is very dark as though it is twilight: I have to boost Contrast in the PDVD8 colour settings to 20 for it to approximate normal lighting. I'm using 8600GT and XP. It was okay at original default settings with PDVD7.3, although I did need to set COLORSPACE_OPTION=2 to eliminate the black crush.

Tried the alternate approach of copying PDVD8 elements to PDVD7.3, but now PDVD7.3 was locked in file mode only. Will proper playback with PDVD ever be achievable?

Tried the alternate approach of copying PDVD8 elements to PDVD7.3, but now PDVD7.3 was locked in file mode only. Will proper playback with PDVD ever be achievable?
If you mean you copied the CLDShow_X.ini to the 7.3 folder (which is the ONLY file you should have copied into the 7. folder), you need to comment or delete the line with "HDDVDNav".

EDIT: Damn I'm sorry, I re-read some of the earlier posts that say that the 7.3 navfilters don't work with 8. For what it's worth, it seems only the hddvdnav.ax file is the one that doesn't work. The other two, I don't know what they do, but the versions from 7.3.3730a (which are newer, see below) seem to work fine. So anyway, I am stuck with not being able to control the showing of subtitles with PowerDVD 8 via right-click I guess? That's only a bit annoying, but annoying enough for me to wanna play my HD-DVDs with 3730a!

------------------------------------------------------

Hey, guys, a little help here please.

PowerDVD 8 is working pretty much fine for me with HD-DVD on Win XP with a Radeon HD3450. Thing is that now I don't get to right-click on the window and choose to show or not subtitles. I gotta go through the sloow HD-DVD menus again. This is pre-3730 behavior, they fixed it with 3730 and 3730a.

With 7.3.3730a, now I can't play any HD discs, they stutter badly. I don't know if it was my installing of PowerDVD 8, or the HD3450, which is also new. I think it most probably is the card and/or drivers.

Now, the navfilter files I got (HDDVDAdvNAv.dll, HDDVDNav.ax and HDDVDNavi.dll) are dated 2/14/2008 9:31 AM modified. The ones from 3730a seem to be modified on 2/21/2008, so they're newer. If I use the newer navfilter files from 3730a that I got, PowerDVD 8 doesn't play the HD-DVD. It just displays "file mode" for a second and then nothing. And yes, I do unregsiter and then register the new hddvdnav.ax when I do this.

I have no idea what I'm doing. Do the right-click context menu options even depend on this?

Last edited:
With 7.3.3730a, now I can't play any HD discs, they stutter badly. I don't know if it was my installing of PowerDVD 8, or the HD3450, which is also new. I think it most probably is the card and/or drivers.

I had the same issue with my 2400 Pro. Version 8 would not accelerate at all until I applied the ATI reg tweaks. Once applied they caused 7.3 to stutter badly.

I had the same issue with my 2400 Pro. Version 8 would not accelerate at all until I applied the ATI reg tweaks. Once applied they caused 7.3 to stutter badly.

That's interesting. What reg tweaks did you do? Are you running Vista or XP? I used to have both a 2400 pro and 2600pro last year on my then-new HTPC with Vista 32, but I got fed up of all the necessary tweaking and just got myself a 8600GTS, so I stopped checking out that thread at avsforum after a while. Do the HD3400 series require tweaks like that?

In this computer (my XP main PC) I used to have an ATI X1900GT, and I don't remember if I did any tweaks. I don't think so though because I didn't use this PC for HD stuff. Then when I installed the HD3450 here I just dropped it and the 8.3 Catalyst drivers just worked. I don't wanna go through the painful process of updating ATI drivers (8.4 just came out) just for a couple of days more of use.

Anyway, this setup I got right now is just for the meantime until I get my new HTPC set up. This HD3450 will go to a slimline machine with Vista 32 on it, and I guess this one will get the 8600GTS that I had on my previous HTPC.

I used the script and just applied all the tweaks. I have since removed the 2400 Pro and replaced it with a 9600GT.

I used the script and just applied all the tweaks. I have since removed the 2400 Pro and replaced it with a 9600GT.

Sorry, not to sidetrack the thread but how is the 9600 GT performing with PowerDVD 8 and HD/BD? I'm looking at maybe getting one.

I think the overall picture is better with the 9600GT than the 2400 Pro. Performance is much better since I never could get the 2400, PDVD8 and PDVD7.3 to all play nice together. It doesn't accelerate any more than the 2400 did but I now have extra GPU for postprocessing. The only problem I have is no custom resolutions.

Now, the navfilter files I got (HDDVDAdvNAv.dll, HDDVDNav.ax and HDDVDNavi.dll) are dated 2/14/2008 9:31 AM modified. The ones from 3730a seem to be modified on 2/21/2008, so they're newer. If I use the newer navfilter files from 3730a that I got, PowerDVD 8 doesn't play the HD-DVD. It just displays "file mode" for a second and then nothing. And yes, I do unregsiter and then register the new hddvdnav.ax when I do this.
IIRC the 2/14/2008 versions are from the PDVD8 beta version that included HDDVD playback, which is why they work. The 3730a (later) versions presumably have some incompatibility which prevents them from working. I use the 2/14/2008 versions and they work in PDVD8 latest retail, but the 3730a seems to work better overall for HDDVD. As you can have them both installed, I just use 3730a for HDDVD.

I do see that since I installed both that I can no longer play an ISO mounted in DaemonTools (="unsupported file format") without AnyDvd HD running for either version (which I could do before - I have an HDCP-compliant system and only used AnyDvd HD to check for the key before creating "protected" ISO's with CloneCD for HDD playback).
attachment.php

Last edited:
What about 3650? I currently have 2600 Pro with 512RAM in my Vista HTPC. Just dropped by local Fry's and noticed 3650 1GB on sale for $100. Beside additional 512MB RAM and DirectX 10.1 different than my 2600, what will I get for playing BD and/or SD movies? I DO NOT play games in my HTPC, I only use VMC, Mymovie plays SD movies and PDVD for BD movies. Do you guys know any different? Worth a try?

Last, any one know I can do custom res such as 1360X768 for 3650?

Last, any one know I can do custom res such as 1360X768 for 3650?
Apparently (3xxx series):
Yes it can.
Be aware, on my TV I have a problem in that the screen reports it supports 1360x768 @ 50hz which windows tries to enable but the pannel does not support it leaving me with a black screen.
If I use ATi's CCC and set 1360x768 @ 60Hz it all works fine. Windows will always try and select 50Hz for some reason.
My HTPC is currently running with an HD3470 card playing back BD movies in 1360x768 res
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249703-33-cards-output-1360x768-nvidia-cards (Qwakrz post)

The Diamond Viper version is ~$115 in Canada (retail - less on discount). Any Radeon HD series is good for BD playback (some issues with AGP versions, though). I wouldn't think you would get much (if any) improvement unless your 2600 Pro is the AGP version and is giving you problems. Save your $100 towards getting an updated motherboard and a Core2Duo to see a real improvement.

Considering the rest of your setup in your sig, you shouldn't cheap out on the guts of your HTPC.... ;)

Last edited:
Apparently (3xxx series):

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249703-33-cards-output-1360x768-nvidia-cards (Qwakrz post)

The Diamond Viper version is ~$115 in Canada (retail - less on discount). Any Radeon HD series is good for BD playback (some issues with AGP versions, though). I wouldn't think you would get much (if any) improvement unless your 2600 Pro is the AGP version and is giving you problems. Save your $100 towards getting an updated motherboard and a Core2Duo to see a real improvement.

Considering the rest of your setup in your sig, you shouldn't cheap out on the guts of your HTPC.... ;)

Thanks for the info. It helps me a lot. I guess I will get one tomorrow. My current 2600 can't do 1:1 therefore I want to get a GC that can do 1:1 to my monitor. This HTPC will be my test box and I plan to build a main HTPC using Asus Maximus Extreme, 9800GTS 512MB, Quard Core for my main HT room ;)

Thanks, I hadn't seen that post it seems. Anyway, have you noticed the difference? I can't see any difference when using the newer files. I was hoping it would give me the subtitle enabling via right-click, as 3730 and 3730a brought. Do you have an idea if this could be done?

I haven't noticed any real difference. I believe the right mouse click features are part of the UI coding and they probably removed all HD DVD related parts. I just enabled the HD audio in 7.3 and use that. Right click menus work that way.

Last edited:
are you still having this porblem if so what steps are you doing to try and get this done and are your registering it under the administrator cause thats what i had to do with vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back