• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PowerDVD 8.0 Ultra Released!

I was talking about the 6th full-frequency channel, as in the rear back one. It is discrete indeed. There are two, DTS-ES 6.1 discrete and DTS-ES Matrix. It is right on the DTS website, and here in more detail. The matrixed channel is always present in the Ls and Rs, but in the case of 6.1 there is also a discrete back, and with a DTS-ES 6.1 discrete decoder you can play that discrete channel, and subtract the already redundant matrixed channel from the Ls and Rs. Dolby Digital EX is the one that is only matrixed.

But about the non-discrete LFE channel on DTS:

You missed this tidbit right after what you quoted (which incidentally also says the same thing)

First sentence is correct (without the "therefore"), but second sentence is not, from my experience with DTS-ES discrete movies and my 6.1 speaker system.

Its right what you say with the discrete version, but I still doubt that PDVD7 can decode more than 6 channels, they (CL) even told me several times they don't. I think they just mix a virtual 7th channel as it is simply impossible with the existing decoder of PDVD7 to decode discrete 7 channels.

But I think we will never have proove about that issue so lets just go along with PDVD8, PDVD7 (unfortunately->HD-DVD) will be history very soon...

Its right what you say with the discrete version, but I still doubt that PDVD7 can decode more than 6 channels, they (CL) even told me several times they don't. I think they just mix a virtual 7th channel as it is simply impossible with the existing decoder of PDVD7 to decode discrete 7 channels.

But I think we will never have proove about that issue so lets just go along with PDVD8, PDVD7 (unfortunately->HD-DVD) will be history very soon...

Yeah, I was just gonna post a sort of caveat to my post. If the matrixed rear channel is always present, and redundant when having the discrete rear channel in DTS (which I didn't know before I went searching for that specific info), then there'd be practically no reliable way to tell if it's actually getting matrixed or not from PowerDVD, since from what I understood the DTS-ES decoder handles that automatically. I do see "DTS-ES 6.1" on the info window, but I think we've agreed that's not too reliable. So, back to LPCM and DTS-HD (non-MA) 7.1 tracks for testing I guess. I don't have any though.

Anyone else get the email from Cyberlink this morning about special upgrade pricing good until the 20th? Basically another 5 bucks off so you can upgrade for 54.95.

Anyone else get the email from Cyberlink this morning about special upgrade pricing good until the 20th? Basically another 5 bucks off so you can upgrade for 54.95.

I got one, but it still works out more expensive to buy it from the UK than the US

Yeah the $54 includes the $10 tax, I didn't read it properly

And yes, because I think the upgrade is priced too high to begin with, I DID in fact email customer support to see if I could get a 5 dollar refund. :)

I also got this email. Also I read their press release that PowerDVD Ultra with BD-Live support will be available by the end of April. So if decide to upgrade, I will do so closer to Apr 20, so that I get a BD-Live enabled version straight away. By the way, the version of PowerDVD Ultra which gets BD-Live update was not mentioned in the press release, so maybe PowerDVD 7.3 will also get one.

Last edited:
I also got this email. Also I read their press release that PowerDVD Ultra with BD-Live support will be available by the end of April. So if decide to upgrade, I will do so closer to Apr 20, so that I get a BD-Live enabled version straight away. By the way, the version of PowerDVD Ultra which gets BD-Live update was not mentioned in the press release, so maybe PowerDVD 7.3 will also get one.
What about the fiasco with 7.3 versions? Wouldn't it be better to have all the various releases of 8?

I haven't received the email - but I didn't have that option turned on my my account, so I just went and turned it on a few minutes ago. So we'll see if they send me that $5 coupon, or whatever it is.

Oh I have no problem bothering support for any new release that comes out. :) I'm more interested in saving the 5 bucks! :D The first BD Live title was just released this week and the AnyDVD log was posted in the beta 6.4.0.7 thread. I have no idea how PowerDVD likes or dislikes that title. I'm hopeful that it'll at least play the main movie correctly most unlike when profile 1.1 came out.

What about the fiasco with 7.3 versions? Wouldn't it be better to have all the various releases of 8?

I haven't received the email - but I didn't have that option turned on my my account, so I just went and turned it on a few minutes ago. So we'll see if they send me that $5 coupon, or whatever it is.

It's not a coupon. They simply changed the upgrade price until Apr 20. Considering I just bought it Saturday, I want my 5 bucks back. Hey, 5 bucks is 5 bucks! :)

It's not a coupon. They simply changed the upgrade price until Apr 20. Considering I just bought it Saturday, I want my 5 bucks back. Hey, 5 bucks is 5 bucks! :)
It shows $59 at cyberlink.com for me - though there is a place to enter a coupon code.

It shows $59 at cyberlink.com for me - though there is a place to enter a coupon code.

I just rechecked the email. No coupon.

PowerDVD 8 Ultra has been newly released. Experience new dimensions in movie entertainment on top of the industry's #1 standard for HD playback performance. Upgrade to PowerDVD 8 Ultra at an exclusive Ultra price of $54.95 (59.95). <-- the 59.95 has a ----- through it in the email
This offer is only good until Sunday, April 20, 2008.

The new dimensions in entertainment to be explored with PowerDVD 8 Ultra:

* Remix Hollywood by remixing your favorite DVD movies
* Play AVCHD and BD Profile 1.1 movies
* Enjoy DTS-HD 7.1 surround sound technology in high-definition
* Build an enormous movie collection and connect with global users at MoovieLive.com
* Watch Blu-ray discs with support for the latest HD formats, interactive features and next-gen disc navigation

Read on to learn more about PowerDVD 8's new and exciting features:

CyberLink's TrueTheater technology amazes. Hear for yourself or find out more information by clicking hereNEW VIDEO & AUDIO FEATURES NEW

* Play HD file format AVCHD
* Listen to DTS-HD 7.1 channel surround sound
* Try virtual multi-channel surround sound via different sound systems, headphones, and notebook PCs with technologies from Dolby, DTS, and CyberLink's TrueTheater™ Surround utilizing 2 to 8 channel expansion

Create new stories from DVD movies with PowerDVD's Movie Remix features. Click here to find out more.REMIX HOLLYWOOD DVD MOVIES NEW

* Bookmark your favorite scenes for remixing
* Add animated graphics to the most exciting moments
* Voice-over soundtracks. Funny has no limits.
* Write your own subtitles!

COLLECT YOUR FAVORITE MOVIES NEW

* Create your personal movie database: manage your movie collection, collect disc information, trivia and personal notes
* Write your own reviews and rate movies
* Go online and get connected: access MoovieLive to share your reviews and remixes, synch & share your database and meet other PowerDVD users! It's a movie paradise for all.

Save exclusive $5 discount on PowerDVD 8 Ultra Upgrade at only $54.95 ($59.95)
This offer is only good until Sunday, April 20, 2008.

Watch PowerDVD 8 Demo
Learn about PowerDVD 8 Ultra
Compare PowerDVD versions

Visit MoovieLive
Check out the PowerDVD 8 Movies Remix Tour*

PowerDVD 8 Ultra is more than a player, but a whole new dimension in sight & sound. Get an extreme kind of entertainment that's out of this world.

cheers,

Leanna,
CyberLink Web Sales & Marketing

I just rechecked the email. No coupon.
is there a link? Maybe it is in the link?

EDIT: I went to the end of the order process, just in case. It knows me when I login, has all my creditcard info and everything, but it still shows $59 even at the last step before clicking the final "Order" button. :(

Last edited:
is there a link? Maybe it is in the link?

EDIT: I went to the end of the order process, just in case. It knows me when I login, has all my creditcard info and everything, but it still shows $59 even at the last step before clicking the final "Order" button. :(

Nope. Just what I posted. Awesome. I'm glad they're on top of things. :bang:

Seriously.....

This company, CyberLink, is really simply complete, pathetic, non-sensual, utter joke.

Last edited:
Quite true. I'm not impressed, either. We'll see if they respond to my refund request. :)

Quite true. I'm not impressed, either. We'll see if they respond to my refund request. :)

I have bought PowerDVD8, and I consider it a useless purchase. I wanted to try DTS-HD (MA) 7.1 channel audio, but I realized, I don't have Blu-ray discs in this format, only HD DVDs! :bang: Well, my fault.

And... SamuriHL, you didn't warn me! :mad: this sucker requires online product activation! :(

I cant be bothered with a refund, I have to believe that they will get better with updated versions that will play from the hdd due to customer complaints. Unless Sony owns Cyberlink, I think they will update this program to meet all our needs, ( at least I can hope).:(

Back