• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Discussion Possible problem with subtitles

newzito

When downloading movies, subtitles are not embedded, the subtitles are in the "softsubs" style
I didn't test it with TV shows

When downloading movies, subtitles are not embedded, the subtitles are in the "softsubs" style
please post the log file

Last edited:
please post the log file

Ok, done

Attachments

• I Am Legend.astlog
    449.1 KB · Views: 3
Subtitles are "soft" regardless if they are embedded or external. To "burn" them into the video it requires re-encoding. Your player probably has subtitles enabled by default.

Subtitles are "soft" regardless if they are embedded or external. To "burn" them into the video it requires re-encoding. Your player probably has subtitles enabled by default.
Thanks for trying to help, but your answer didn't make sense, AnyStream has an option for (Embedded - "hardsub") and (SRT - "softsub")
Even adding the embedded subtitle option doesn't work.

Thanks for trying to help, but your answer didn't make sense, AnyStream has an option for (Embedded - "hardsub") and (SRT - "softsub")
Even adding the embedded subtitle option doesn't work.
Then you don't understand the different between soft and hard subs. Hard subs are "burned" into the image and soft subs are text based. Regardless if you download the subtitles as embedded or external, they are still soft subs.

Hardcoded subs are burnt/coded into the image, cant be turnd of. (This option is not avalible in Anystream)

Anystreams embedded subs are ttml(? i think) files that are together with the video and audio in the container(mp4 file) and can be turned off or on
Anystreams external subtitles are srt files that are alongside the mp4 file and can be turnd off or on

some players cant play the embedded (ttml(?)) this used to be quite common for TVs built in players.

I think I see what the issue is...
First: you know that a videofile is a container that consist of several streams, right?
-the video itself
-zero, one or more audio streams
-zero, one or more subtitles
-other metadata
1708412469613.png

If a subtitle is a "hardsub" as you name it, it is part of the videostream, no separate one.
If the subtitle is hardcoded by the provider, then AnyStream just downloads it that way. Same with separate streams.
AnyStream does NOT reencode the subs into the video -OR- embedded is not the same as hardcoded.

Now to your issue.
From the log you downloaded the portugese (forced) stream and probably wondered why the subtitle didn't appear in your player.
Well, AnyStream names the subtitle forced, but does not actually flag it as forced stream. (you can check that with mediainfo)
Unfortunately you have to do that manually after downloading by re-muxing -OR- manually enable the subtitle in your player.
1708412780182.png

On a sidenote: there are several network errors in your log, your network does not seem to be very stable.

AnyStream names the subtitle forced, but does not actually flag it as forced stream.
Correct. In this context the term "forced" is used to mean "subtitle to translate dialogue that is not in the audio language" (i.e. "foreign audio) and nothing more.

How the movie/material is presented is entirely down to the provider. They may include subtitles as part of the actual pictures (aka "burned in") in which case they will always appear in playback, and cannot be removed. Or (usually where there are several optional languages) they are NOT within the pictures, but are present - with the various language options selectable - as a separate component which plays alongside the pictures and sound. And in that case, the player needs to be instructed to display them (or not).

I think I see what the issue is...
First: you know that a videofile is a container that consist of several streams, right?
-the video itself
-zero, one or more audio streams
-zero, one or more subtitles
-other metadata
View attachment 77645

If a subtitle is a "hardsub" as you name it, it is part of the videostream, no separate one.
If the subtitle is hardcoded by the provider, then AnyStream just downloads it that way. Same with separate streams.
AnyStream does NOT reencode the subs into the video -OR- embedded is not the same as hardcoded.

Now to your issue.
From the log you downloaded the portugese (forced) stream and probably wondered why the subtitle didn't appear in your player.
Well, AnyStream names the subtitle forced, but does not actually flag it as forced stream. (you can check that with mediainfo)
Unfortunately you have to do that manually after downloading by re-muxing -OR- manually enable the subtitle in your player.
View attachment 77646

On a sidenote: there are several network errors in your log, your network does not seem to be very stable.

What I'm trying to say is that before these latest updates, when the video was downloaded with the "embedded" function, the subtitles were "burned" (as psig33 mentioned), or as I like to say the famous "hardsub"But now the subtitles are "separate" in the video

What I'm trying to say is that before these latest updates, when the video was downloaded with the "embedded" function, the subtitles were "burned" (as psig33 mentioned), or as I like to say the famous "hardsub"But now the subtitles are "separate" in the video

Not in my experience.
To burn in, Anystream would have to convert the video stream.
The subtitles are only burned in if the provider makes the stream available in this way.

I'm sure it all depends on the source since AS does nothing to process the stream/s (aside from removing encryption). It is not (and never has been) within the scope of AS to re-encode - and burning in previously separate subs requires exactly that, always.

Unless you are comparing exactly the same title and version, before and after, then the far more likely explanation is that - where the subs are burned in, then that is what was in the source; and if they are a separate stream, then that is what is in the source.

Embedded means muxed into the container along with the audio and video. External means that the subtitles are saved to a separate subtitle file (such as an srt file). Embedded has never meant it's been hardsubbed. You're confused and not understanding what the terminology actually means.

Embedded means muxed into the container along with the audio and video. External means that the subtitles are saved to a separate subtitle file (such as an srt file). Embedded has never meant it's been hardsubbed. You're confused and not understanding what the terminology actually means.
Good explanations thank you

Back