• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Just got PowerDVD 8 Ultra build 2521

Jong, my testing was with Blu-ray only - I never use PDVD8 for standard DVDs (for DVDs I use TheaterTek).

When I get home from work I'll see about exporting the HKCU/Software/Cyberlink/PowerDVD8 section...

jidelite
Thanks. Very strange. Are you by chance using a non-English version? :confused:

To whoever is interested 2521:

- still has broken BD keyboard commands (without registry edit)
- still does not accept <enter> key as an alternate for clicking on the play button even with the registry edit
- still will not play DVDs ripped to a folder from the command line (or play DVDs if you double click on the .ifo file when .ifo is associated with PDVD8). In both cases PowerDVD8 displays "no Disc inserted in drive x:/" where x:/ will vary from system to system (it is the lowest DVD drive I think).

....and it still has not fixed the problem with playing back Stargate Continuum (UK edition). In fact it has gone from the disc loading intermittently (roughly 50% of the time) to never loading!

I've decided to switch to using PowerDVD7 again, which is unaffected by all these problems!

Thanks. Very strange. Are you by chance using a non-English version? :confused:

I'm using an English vesion...Well, I see you have gone back to PDVD7. I have included a copy of my registry as per your request (hope it helps in some way). Since this is really a PDVD8 2521 thread, I'm going to ghost my system and give it a shot.

jidelite

Attachments

• HKCU_Software_Cyberlink_Powerdvd8.zip
    3 KB · Views: 14
Thanks. I will definitely compare those later.

Trouble is the command line problem is an absolute showstopper for me - my HTPC front-end launches all my movies that way - so I have no choice but to revert until it is fixed.

I have logged a ticket with Cyberlink, but expect the usual run arounds - a month of being asked to install/uninstall/re-install Windows etc. before possibly getting the ticket to someone who can fix it! On the other hand I am concerned the command line change may be "by design". There is a lot of new stuff in 2521 that looks like it might be in PowerDVD 9. Using Regmon I can see that PowerDVD, unlike in earlier versions/builds, is not even checking the reg key that says if it is set in Windows to "launch ifos by double clicking", although the config menu still allows you to set this.

Thanks. I will definitely compare those later.

Trouble is the command line problem is an absolute showstopper for me - my HTPC front-end launches all my movies that way - so I have no choice but to revert until it is fixed.

I have logged a ticket with Cyberlink, but expect the usual run arounds - a month of being asked to install/uninstall/re-install Windows etc. before possibly getting the ticket to someone who can fix it! On the other hand I am concerned the command line change may be "by design". There is a lot of new stuff in 2521 that looks like it might be in PowerDVD 9. Using Regmon I can see that PowerDVD, unlike in earlier versions/builds, is not even checking the reg key that says if it is set in Windows to "launch ifos by double clicking", although the config menu still allows you to set this.

Thanks for the heads up on the new stuff, though I guess most of it is not functional, just registry keys? I certainly don't see "a lot" changed since 2217. I wonder if the version of 2521 they gave me is any different than the official patch. The unpublished builds could be betas after all.

The real biggie is that you cannot launch a DVD in folders from the command line anymore. This looks like it could be "by design" and would kill the use of PDVD with HTPC front-ends. AT the very least people would have to convert all their folders to isos and many of us have some very big libraries now.

I am wondering if anybody has had the same problem as I have. On vista 32, 9600GT (newest forceware drivers) hdmi out that goes directly in my projector (mitsubishi HC-3000). The resolution I have it is 1280x720 (native resolution of the projector). Now, this works nicely with powerdvd 8 but as soon as I apply the latest patch (2521), powerdvd 8 does not start anymore. It gives me an error message saying that it cannot run due to my resolution not being high enough ( needs at least 1024X768 ). Well, it seems that since i'm at 720 p, the stupid program does not want to start anymore:bang:. I went back to the previous version and everything is back to normal.

Has anybody seen that? If yes, were you able to fix this.

Thanks!

I am wondering if anybody has had the same problem as I have. On vista 32, 9600GT (newest forceware drivers) hdmi out that goes directly in my projector (mitsubishi HC-3000). The resolution I have it is 1280x720 (native resolution of the projector). Now, this works nicely with powerdvd 8 but as soon as I apply the latest patch (2521), powerdvd 8 does not start anymore. It gives me an error message saying that it cannot run due to my resolution not being high enough ( needs at least 1024X768 ). Well, it seems that since i'm at 720 p, the stupid program does not want to start anymore:bang:. I went back to the previous version and everything is back to normal.

Has anybody seen that? If yes, were you able to fix this.

Thanks!

You're not alone! I just put the patch on the other day and I received the same msg (I was running 800x600 on an 'old' monitor that I use just to play). Fired up my projector that does 1080i and then I get the dreaded "unsupported disk format on X:". For me, this happens for any drive (virtual, real etc). I didn't have time to :bang: so I restored back to 2217a. I will open a ticket with Cyberlink for my own piece of mine but it will probably fall on deaf ears (& eyes) like the thousands of others that are having the same problem. Apparently there are a few people that have it working so I'm sure Cyberlink will say its my system :rolleyes: - good luck...

jidelite

....and another major feature reduction in this latest build, mentioned elsewhere but not I think here, is that the AVC/H.264 decoder no longer works outside of PowerDVD! So no use in WMP, or other Directshow players.

I reckon Slysoft have infiltrated their organisation and are working to bring them down. It is hard to think of any other logic behind the wanton vandalism of their own product!

I have included a copy of my registry as per your request (hope it helps in some way).
Well somehow this already has the BDJ keyboard disabled. Not sure how that happened but it explains most of the keys working. Not sure why the enter key works as a play button. Are you sure it does? It still works for menu selection etc. It just does not work to go back to 1x playback when rewinding or fast forwarding (and maybe a couple of other things I rarely use).

Well somehow this already has the BDJ keyboard disabled. Not sure how that happened but it explains most of the keys working. Not sure why the enter key works as a play button. Are you sure it does? It still works for menu selection etc. It just does not work to go back to 1x playback when rewinding or fast forwarding (and maybe a couple of other things I rarely use).

Jong, I kid you not, when I FF or REW all I have to do is hit Enter and the 1x display pops up in the upper right corner and the movie plays at regular speed. Funny thing is I never really used it until you mentioned it didn't work. Basically I only use Enter to start playback from the menu - from there I just usually watch a movie thru to the end. Sometimes I have to hit the Spacebar (Pause) so my wife can go powder her nose :) but I hit the spacebar again to unpause. Funny how knight_of_ni says it works for DVDs but not Blu-ray - more flaky stuff. I know its frustrating to have one person be able to do something while others can't with supposedly the same version of the software (particularly something so simple as the shortcut keys). So far PDVD8 has worked great for me (2217a even does deinterlacing better than the other releases to the point where it plays just as smooth as my old trial version of TMT). Frustrating indeed when 2521 just kills my playback but it works for others - I know to always Ghost my entire harddrive before I apply any patches from Cyberlink and I make sure its the only software that I'm changing...

jidelite

Ok, I found a workaround for this Enter thing. If you fast forward a blu-ray movie (F key) you can press 'B' once and playback resumes at normal speed. Enter does not work even to un-pause a blu-ray.

Ok, I found a workaround for this Enter thing. If you fast forward a blu-ray movie (F key) you can press 'B' once and playback resumes at normal speed. Enter does not work even to un-pause a blu-ray.
Yeah, maybe you missed this in my earlier post.
You can get to 1x by hitting fast forward if rewinding and visa-versa so its not a big deal.

And I can confirm all works fine with DVDs here too (enter and all other keybaord functions, without the registy edit. It is just a Blu-ray problem.

The keyboard thing is no disaster, but when you add in the inability to play from the command line and the fact they are now stopping their AVC decoder being used in other Directshow players this release is a disgrace.

I know tthey have done this before (Blu-ray playback from folder in PDVD7) but it is totally unacceptable for them to go removing key features in a patch. If they want to remove them in PDVD9 and be honest about it, fine. We can take our business elsewhere.

Finally they took the patch out of their update page.
Now the December patch is the latest again...

IMO they should have gone back to 2217 (minus the a). That is the best version at the moment.

Hmm, at least it's a tacit admission that 2521 is buggy. Those numbers at the end of the installer file names seem to be dates actually, although that would put both 2430 and 2521 as having been completed on dec 02, and 2217a just one day earlier. I wonder...

I did submit a ticket with my concerns with the bugs introduced with 2430 and 2521 to which they replied asking me some information, (not very relevant IMO, but fair to ask). I haven't had time to answer back, I'll see what happens next anyway.

For once, they replied to my initial ticket with simply "We have reported this issue to the Research and Development team for analysis."

I have never known them to not want to go through standard troubleshooting first. Seems like they may have had a lot of complaints!

So I just installed an ATI 4550 in my setup with Catalyst 9.1 and the 2.13 Realtek HDMI drivers, and this build (2521) crashes (so do 1531 and 2217) when my mobo audio is disabled in BIOS and the only audio device is the HDMI of the 4550. If I enable the analog, then all is good, and HDMI also works. Without this issue and some TMT trouble that I'll be troubleshooting later, the Realtek HDMI solution is just as perfect as it can be. No mixed up surrounds like with the Nvidia HDMI solutions, and the audio is always on, so the short sounds don't get cut off. Vista Media Center works OK with sounds enabled and bitstreaming of dolby digital, but I'm not sure if I tested with Nvidia before upgrading to the TV Pack 2008 version. It could have been that.

Another annoying thing I've found is that with 2521, besides not decoding TrueHD in multichannel if it is selected first with HDMI/PCM output (works after swapping language tracks and back), it doesn't decode TrueHD 7.1 at all in HDMI mode. It only does 5.1. This TrueHD decoding thing is very annoying, why can't Dolby just let us choose how many friggin channels we want, and not make it automatic. Let the program downmix it. Same thing happens if you wanna use Dolby Headphone, TrueHD shoulde be decoded in 5.1 for DH to do its magic, but because the output medium is "headphones", it only gets decoded in stereo. Cyberlink and dolby's fault I guess.

The 2521 update is back up on the cyberlink download section. Anyone try it and find any differences between it and the one they pulled?

Back