• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Just got PowerDVD 8 Ultra build 2521

andy o

Testing it right now on Vista 32... will update soon. If anyone else got it, what are your thoughts?

-------------------------
Well, it seems that the keyboard shortcuts for bluray still haven't been fixed. Coming from 2217, because 2217a as we know was buggy as hell and broke the KB shortcuts.

2521 fixed the control bar not appearing in full screen with Bangkok Dangerous.

---------------------------
The UI_EnableBDJKeyboard "0" worked. Looking normal so far.

Last edited:
I'd test it out if I had it. I'm unaware of a legit location to get it and I cannot remember the online update check link Cyberlink had. The website is still showing the older December update. :-/

Just ask for it. They've been surprisingly helpful. From others' comments, I was expecting having to beg for it or something. I actually asked for 2430 and they gave me this one. So far, so good, but I can see no difference with 2217, other than the ones I mentioned above.

Last edited:
Just ask for it. They've been surprisingly helpful. From others' comments, I was expecting having to beg for it or something. I actually asked for 2430 and they gave me this one. So far, so good, but I can see no difference with 2217, other than the ones I mentioned above.

I tried build 2430 and found a load of issues on my system. It had the some of the same problems as 2217a plus new problems. I found it to be buggier than 2217a.

Yikes. I tried 2217a briefly, but besides the HD-DVD "thing", it seemed the same as 2217, though I didn't do much testing. In the Cyberlink site it says that 1080p24 is available with 2217a, but it was just fine with 2217 as well. I don't know then what are they doing with the new builds.

Got back to 2217. 2217a introduces a bug that when using HDMI/PCM output, multichannel TrueHD audio is decoded as TrueHD 2.0, and you have to change manually to 8 or 6 speaker in PowerDVD (or another multichannel audio track which sometimes is not available), and then change back to HDMI, which can crash PowerDVD.

2430 introduces a weird one. Don't know if it's a feature or a bug (go figure!). It just doesn't respect the default audio output in Vista. If you got HDMI as your default audio output in Vista, it will not use it when you choose 2-8 speaker output like previously; it will use the analog audio. If you disable your analog audio (I got the Asus board with a 9300 mGPU), then the options 2-8 speakers will not show. So you select HDMI anyway, but then when you start playing the bluray they will actually show, but if you wanna change to the 2-8 speaker options (say, for a Dolby Headphone or DPLIIx effect through your HDMI output), then PowerDVD could freeze. These options need to be set before playing the movie, and you can't do that.

2430 fixes the status bar not appearing with some new movies like Pineapple Express and Bangkok Dangerous, but that's a minor issue. 2521 is the same as 2430.

Can anyone with one of this builds tell me if command line launching of discs ripped to folders is fixed with this version.

With 2217 this
Code:
powerdvd8.exe "c:\dvds\movie\video_ts.ifo"
works.

With 2217a it does not (get a "No disc in drive e:/" message).

Vital of course for launching movies from an HTPC front-end.

I hope they are not now trying to close down ripped DVD playback as well as Blu-ray isos!

I tried build 2430 and found a load of issues on my system. It had the some of the same problems as 2217a plus new problems. I found it to be buggier than 2217a.
What kind of bugs? I've had no problems so far with 2217a, 2430 or this new build, but if there's something specific then I can try it out on a few systems

The three things I found with 2217a are:

- cannot play ifos from the command line (as above)
- <Enter> key no longer functions as a <Play> key - now does nothing at all when a video is playing.
- Most Keyboard commands (e.g Blu-ray pop-up, "Info" box) do not work unless you add an extra registry key UI_EnableBDJKeyboard "0" (still doesn't fix the <enter> key problem)

What kind of bugs? I've had no problems so far with 2217a, 2430 or this new build, but if there's something specific then I can try it out on a few systems

You're not using HDMI out are you? Cause if you aren't getting the issues I got, I'd be very interested to know. thanks.

The three things I found with 2217a are:

- cannot play ifos from the command line (as above)
- <Enter> key no longer functions as a <Play> key - now does nothing at all when a video is playing.
- Most Keyboard commands (e.g Blu-ray pop-up, "Info" box) do not work unless you add an extra registry key UI_EnableBDJKeyboard "0" (still doesn't fix the <enter> key problem)

I've never used the Enter key, I always use space to play/pause, which still works with the reg mod. What's the difference?

I think the problem with HDMI audio output is ATI's fault also. The CCC 9.1 and HDMI Audio Driver 9.1 seems to be faulty. One of these days, you can't really tell which SW is the bugged one cos they all are...

I've never used the Enter key, I always use space to play/pause, which still works with the reg mod. What's the difference?
"Play" used to switch to 1x mode if fast forwarding and rewinding. "Un-Pausing" continues to rewind or fast forward at the previous speed. I think it might also resume playback if you have hit "Stop", it does with most players but cannot remember with PDVD.

You can get to 1x by hitting fast forward if rewinding and visa-versa so its not a big deal. Just it's programmed onto the "play" key on my remote and now it does not work! Of course I can make both "Play" and "Pause" do the same thing, but then they will fix it in a future release, maybe! It would just be good to know if it is fixed in one of the later unofficial releases.

Got back to 2217. 2217a introduces a bug that when using HDMI/PCM output, multichannel TrueHD audio is decoded as TrueHD 2.0, and you have to change manually to 8 or 6 speaker in PowerDVD (or another multichannel audio track which sometimes is not available), and then change back to HDMI, which can crash PowerDVD.

2430 introduces a weird one. Don't know if it's a feature or a bug (go figure!). It just doesn't respect the default audio output in Vista. If you got HDMI as your default audio output in Vista, it will not use it when you choose 2-8 speaker output like previously; it will use the analog audio. If you disable your analog audio (I got the Asus board with a 9300 mGPU), then the options 2-8 speakers will not show. So you select HDMI anyway, but then when you start playing the bluray they will actually show, but if you wanna change to the 2-8 speaker options (say, for a Dolby Headphone or DPLIIx effect through your HDMI output), then PowerDVD could freeze. These options need to be set before playing the movie, and you can't do that.

2430 fixes the status bar not appearing with some new movies like Pineapple Express and Bangkok Dangerous, but that's a minor issue. 2521 is the same as 2430.

I only ever use the HDMI out from my PC so I always have the analog disabled anyway, but I have no problems switching between the HDMI & 2-8 channel options. I get a brief freeze when I switch (about 1 second) then the film carries on as normal. Are you using the 2.13 audio drivers?

"Play" used to switch to 1x mode if fast forwarding and rewinding. "Un-Pausing" continues to rewind or fast forward at the previous speed. I think it might also resume playback if you have hit "Stop", it does with most players but cannot remember with PDVD.

You can get to 1x by hitting fast forward if rewinding and visa-versa so its not a big deal. Just it's programmed onto the "play" key on my remote and now it does not work! Of course I can make both "Play" and "Pause" do the same thing, but then they will fix it in a future release, maybe! It would just be good to know if it is fixed in one of the later unofficial releases.

I know this doesn't help you but I'm running 2217a (DVD081201-06) on a WinXP SP3 system and all keyboard shortcuts including 'ENTER' works for me. I did not have to make any registry changes as all was setup already.

I also checked the command line function and that indeed does not work for me.

jidelite

On blu-rays the Enter key doesn't work to resume normal playback if you select fast forward or backward. On DVDs with version 2217a it worked, I haven't tested it with newer ones.

I know this doesn't help you but I'm running 2217a (DVD081201-06) on a WinXP SP3 system and all keyboard shortcuts including 'ENTER' works for me. I did not have to make any registry changes as all was setup already.
How weird. You're the first person I have heard of who does not have problems with the keyboard and 2217a :confused: I too am running XP SP3. :confused: Any chance you could export the HKCU/Software/Cyberlink/PowerDVD8 section of your registry and upload it? Maybe there is a difference.

Last edited:
On blu-rays the Enter key doesn't work to resume normal playback if you select fast forward or backward. On DVDs with version 2217a it worked, I haven't tested it with newer ones.
Indeed this may only be a Blu-ray problem. But I've reverted to 2217 so I cannot check. 2217a did not do anything for me.

@jidelite, were you testing with a Blu-ray?

Last edited:
Indeed this may only be a Blu-ray problem. But I've reverted to 2217 so I cannot check. 2217a did not do anything for me.

@jidelite, were you testing with a Blu-ray?

Jong, my testing was with Blu-ray only - I never use PDVD8 for standard DVDs (for DVDs I use TheaterTek).

When I get home from work I'll see about exporting the HKCU/Software/Cyberlink/PowerDVD8 section...

jidelite

I only ever use the HDMI out from my PC so I always have the analog disabled anyway, but I have no problems switching between the HDMI & 2-8 channel options. I get a brief freeze when I switch (about 1 second) then the film carries on as normal. Are you using the 2.13 audio drivers?

I actually am using an Nvidia 9300 board, so no Realtek drivers for me. The PowerDVD crashing may have been a fluke (or two), I didn't test it many times. What's more annoying though is that TrueHD gets decoded in 2.0.

By the way, are you running Vista and have a 7.1 setup? If so, does the ATI HDMI also switch the rear surrounds for the side surrounds and vice versa when doing 7.1? That happens to me with both my 9300 and my 9200 laptop. Most annoying is that with 5.1 output the sides are OK, but when switching to 7.1 the sides magically output to the rear now. It makes it impossible to even apply a dirty fix such as rewiring the speakers.

You'll have to try the Vista speaker config test though, or PowerDVD set to 8 speaker. When PDVD is set to HDMI, it seems to bypass the channel assignment of the HDMI driver (so only in that mode I do get correct mapping).

I'm almost sure it's an Nvidia issue though, not a Vista one.

Back