• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Intel SGX Support requirement for UHD Software Playback going away?

KevinS72

This may not be news for others (especially those not using Intel CPU's), but I'm assuming this would make tools like AnyDVD HD a requirement to play UHD discs on a computer if/when Microsoft removes Intel SGX support from their drivers?

From CyberLink's support FAQ (https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=26690):

Why can’t I play Ultra HD Blu-ray movies on my new Intel CPU (11th generation or above) platform that does not support Intel SGX feature? Why are Ultra HD Blu-ray discs no longer playable after related Intel drivers and the Windows OS were updated on older platforms that support the Intel SGX feature?
Applied to: PowerDVD 21/365 , PowerDVD 20 , PowerDVD 19 , PowerDVD 18...

The Intel Software Guard Extensions (Intel SGX) feature is a requirement on the CPU and motherboard firmware to play the DRM (digital right management) content on Ultra HD Blu-ray movie discs on a Windows platform.

The Intel SGX feature has been removed from Intel 11th generation (or newer) CPUs, and support for SGX may be removed at some point on the new versions of Intel drivers or utility programs (e.g., the Intel SGX and Intel Management Engine driver and firmware). These changes could make these platforms lose support for Ultra HD Blu-ray movie disc playback.

The removal of the SGX feature, and its compatibility with the latest Windows OS and drivers, has caused a substantial challenge for CyberLink to continue supporting Ultra HD Blu-ray movie playback in our player software. So much so, that it has been determined that it is no longer feasible for CyberLink to support the Ultra HD Blu-ray playback on newer CPUs and the latest Windows platforms.

For users who use an older compatible platform and want to keep the Ultra HD Blu-ray playback compatibility on the PC and with PowerDVD, we suggest you continue using the 7th - 10th generation Core i series of Intel CPUs and motherboards that support the Intel SGX feature. You should also consider not updating the OS (e.g., upgrading to Windows 11) and related Intel drivers to the latest versions in order to keep the Intel SGX feature from being removed from your PC. You should also ensure your platform meets all the other playback requirements of Ultra HD Blu-ray as the playback solution:
https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=19144

For users who use an older compatible platform and want to keep the Ultra HD Blu-ray playback compatibility on the PC and with PowerDVD, we suggest you continue using the 7th - 10th generation Core i series of Intel CPUs and motherboards that support the Intel SGX feature. You should also consider not updating the OS (e.g., upgrading to Windows 11) and related Intel drivers to the latest versions in order to keep the Intel SGX feature from being removed from your PC. You should also ensure your platform meets all the other playback requirements of Ultra HD Blu-ray as the playback solution:
... or use AnyDVD, including nice subtitle & remastering options, and be very happy.

Basically they're too lazy to do it right for ppl that don't want to keep using Win 11 or older hardware (that don't know about or use anydvd). lol Just remove UHD support entirely then, instead of that half-baked OS support solution

This may not be news for others (especially those not using Intel CPU's), but I'm assuming this would make tools like AnyDVD HD a requirement to play UHD discs on a computer if/when Microsoft removes Intel SGX support from their drivers?

From CyberLink's support FAQ (https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=26690):

Why can’t I play Ultra HD Blu-ray movies on my new Intel CPU (11th generation or above) platform that does not support Intel SGX feature? Why are Ultra HD Blu-ray discs no longer playable after related Intel drivers and the Windows OS were updated on older platforms that support the Intel SGX feature?
Applied to: PowerDVD 21/365 , PowerDVD 20 , PowerDVD 19 , PowerDVD 18...

The Intel Software Guard Extensions (Intel SGX) feature is a requirement on the CPU and motherboard firmware to play the DRM (digital right management) content on Ultra HD Blu-ray movie discs on a Windows platform.

The Intel SGX feature has been removed from Intel 11th generation (or newer) CPUs, and support for SGX may be removed at some point on the new versions of Intel drivers or utility programs (e.g., the Intel SGX and Intel Management Engine driver and firmware). These changes could make these platforms lose support for Ultra HD Blu-ray movie disc playback.

The removal of the SGX feature, and its compatibility with the latest Windows OS and drivers, has caused a substantial challenge for CyberLink to continue supporting Ultra HD Blu-ray movie playback in our player software. So much so, that it has been determined that it is no longer feasible for CyberLink to support the Ultra HD Blu-ray playback on newer CPUs and the latest Windows platforms.

Intel has released the 30.0.100.9684 SGX driver for 6th Gen and up with Windows 11 Support.
Of course Intel Plan to continue support for older gen CPUs that can run Windows 11 why wouldn’t they ?
The scope of the comment “support for SGX may be removed at some point on the new versions of Intel drivers or utility programs” is inaccurate. Windows 11 must continue to support an SGX driver for CPUs which support SGX e.g CoffeeLake.
Why would Intel drop SGX driver support in Windows 11 ?

Why is any of this an issue when you can run AnyDVDHD and play UHD blu-ray on your Intel 11th gen platform using PowerDVD ?

Also what’s the issue with Cyberlink’s comment, they are simply stating a limitation.

Intel has released the 30.0.100.9684 SGX driver for 6th Gen and up with Windows 11 Support.
Of course Intel Plan to continue support for older gen CPUs that can run Windows 11 why wouldn’t they ?
The scope of the comment “support for SGX may be removed at some point on the new versions of Intel drivers or utility programs” is inaccurate. Windows 11 must continue to support an SGX driver for CPUs which support SGX e.g CoffeeLake.
Why would Intel drop SGX driver support in Windows 11 ?

Why is any of this an issue when you can run AnyDVDHD and play UHD blu-ray on your Intel 11th gen platform using PowerDVD ?

Also what’s the issue with Cyberlink’s comment, they are simply stating a limitation.

I re-posted that question from their FAQ for others that may not have gone looking for their company stance for future UHD support.

Obviously for those of us using AnyDVD HD it's not currently an issue unless CyberLink completely removes that support from their product in future releases if they don't feel it's worth the development effort when new computer hardware won't support SGX (unless you're building an Intel computer using older pre-11th Gen CPU's). Microsoft/Intel/CyberLink could deprecate support for anything they determine is no longer worth the investment of resources.

I agree that it is very unlikely for Intel to remove driver support for hardware that has that feature. Microsoft was originally trying to avoid supporting older hardware with Windows 11 but obviously that didn't work out as they originally planned. ;-)

Don't upgrade to Win11? I'll give up my Win10 when MS pries it from my cold, dead desktop boxes.....

But AnyDVD doesn't support as many 4K Blu-rays as regular Blu-rays or DVDs. Sometimes I encounter regular BDs and DVDs that also can't be read by AnyDVD. And as we are all aware, AnyDVD could go away too, and has. I had a 4K disc once that couldn't be read on my PC but had no problem with my set-top players. I asked the manufacturer of the disc and they said they could only guarantee playback on set-top boxes, not PC. I don't blame them for saying that, as long as PC disc playback continues to be the HELL of a mess that it is and has been.

Not possible.

If AnyDVD went away (which it has) then it would be possible. I lost count how many times when I had a brand-new standard BD that AnyDVD couldn't read unless I updated AnyDVD to the latest version.

If AnyDVD went away (which it has) then it would be possible. I lost count how many times when I had a brand-new standard BD that AnyDVD couldn't read unless I updated AnyDVD to the latest version.
You must be doing something wrong. Regular BDs are a non-issue with AnyDVD. At least if you always use the newest version.

That'st not possible. BD protection updates are first handled by the OPD (especially if they're BD+ or screenpass protected), then the built-in db. New DVD protections however are handled exclusively by new anydvd versions. If you encounter a disc you think anydvd can't handle, you need to post about it in the proper forum section, cause that's the only way @James will know about it can can fix it if there's something too fix.

You must be doing something wrong. Regular BDs are a non-issue with AnyDVD. At least if you always use the newest version.
That'st not possible. BD protection updates are first handled by the OPD (especially if they're BD+ or screenpass protected), then the built-in db. New DVD protections however are handled exclusively by new anydvd versions. If you encounter a disc you think anydvd can't handle, you need to post about it in the proper forum section, cause that's the only way @James will know about it can can fix it if there's something too fix.

That's exactly my point isn't it. If AnyDVD went away, there would be no new version to be had and James wouldn't be available to help.

That's exactly my point isn't it. If AnyDVD went away, there would be no new version to be had and James wouldn't be available to help.
Explain, please.. You have an issue that AnyDVD is tied to James? A lot of software is. Check MakeMkv. Tied to Mike Chen.

But AnyDVD doesn't support as many 4K Blu-rays as regular Blu-rays or DVDs. Sometimes I encounter regular BDs and DVDs that also can't be read by AnyDVD. And as we are all aware, AnyDVD could go away too, and has. I had a 4K disc once that couldn't be read on my PC but had no problem with my set-top players. I asked the manufacturer of the disc and they said they could only guarantee playback on set-top boxes, not PC. I don't blame them for saying that, as long as PC disc playback continues to be the HELL of a mess that it is and has been.

You post consists of generalisations.
If you want to make a point be specific, what 4K disc could not be played on your PC ?
Your assertion "PC disc playback continues to be the HELL of a mess that it is and has been" is another generalisation.

I always update AnyDVDHD to the latest version and have had no HD blu-ray or DVDs that could not be played using AnyDVDHD.

Newest UHD blu-rays sometimes need to wait for support.

I can play UHD blu-ray media with or without AnyDVDHD since 2017 using PowerDVD 17 Ultra.

You mean you updated to AnyDVDHD and you had no issues. You have to differentiate between AnyDVDHD and AnyDVD.

Back