• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How long will DVDs last?

CrazyEights

I'm just wondering how long do you think DVDs will be around for?

I think trying to guesstimate that is impossible but I believe we very well may see the SD DVD format living through the BD revolution and to the point when the successor to BD arrives.

That's my take as well.
I think the basic DVD will be around until flash memory is very, VERY, cheap.
Look how long the 33rpm LP record lived!

-W

The Death is mispronounced

The venerable BVD is still with usand being produced a new only limited by the few manufacturing sights available to master and press vinyl.

That would depend on how wise the general public is.

When the general public see's Sony and the MPAA for stealing and corrupt practices things will change. Boycott would be the way to go.

Also, when the general public sees you can get 1080P out of standard defination DVD with an upscale player much, much cheaper than getting 1080P out of a Blu-ray player.

The only difference would be in the hi def audio, and unless you are building a special sound room for the hi def audo you would not need it. Most HDTV are two channel audio or 5.1 audio.

BD-LIVE on hi def is just another way for Sony and the MPAA for tracking your habits and keeping tabs on you. More corruption.
:agree:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think trying to guesstimate that is impossible but I believe we very well may see the SD DVD format living through the BD revolution and to the point when the successor to BD arrives.

I would have to agree. I don't see any permanent replacement for DVD's anytime soon.

New releases are still coming out on VHS and LD, albeit rarely and only available in selected channels. Considering that HVD is still outselling bd and HD-DVD (which is far from dead in Asia), and China's variation of HD-DVD, Not only do I think DVDs are here to stay, I believe they will last the way CD media is still around 30 years now. HVDs, use DVD media, are superior to bd at 1600p+, play in any bios/firmware updated DVD player, out sells bd/HD-DVD 2:1 to 4:1 in many asian countries, and cost just a little more than standard DVD. Having a compatible format kept the audio and VCDs around with DVD to this day. HVD will be the life-blood for DVD when it finally trickles into the West and overtakes bd and HD-DVD.

This was an interesting post to come across.

It's 8 years later, and standard DVD's are still popular. (y)

This quoted post by "Clams" couldn't predict that you'd be able to FIT a BluRay disk ISO onto a USB flash memory stick, as well as create and fit countless standard DVD's as ISO's, to create a small file server to view all your disks from your smart phone player App. :ROFLMAO::cool: All thanks to AnyDVD
That's my take as well.
I think the basic DVD will be around until flash memory is very, VERY, cheap.

-W

And it still lives. I still buy it. Even in 2016

Wow 2016! Vhs is still is getting releases
Vcd is alive and well
DVD is everywhere
Bluray has a strong following in USA and europe!
Cvd is dead. All hail our fallen King

But cbhd is now available in not just China but also in Japan and in Korea
DVD lifespan? A long time to go

For one thing LP are still around and so is the Tape and VHS/VCR and the CDs - so I doubt it is going away anytime soon. Not everyone can afford streaming/ISP or BD and BD equipment to have BD movie entertainment. I still have DVD movies and buy them from time to time like LOTR if find the box set. So just cause you think you don't seem them doesn't mean they are there if one takes time to look they will see them.

So just cause you think you don't seem them doesn't mean they are there if one takes time to look they will see them.
Minding that this is an 08 thread the modern updated question is now :
How long before DVD releases become like Vinyl and VHS tapes? With bluray now in the sub-$10 range for some new releases...
New (as in both sealed and released today) vinyl costs $20+ and vhs over $50 will DVDs follow?
I don't think so personally but it's worth discussion.

Minding that this is an 08 thread the modern updated question is now :
How long before DVD releases become like Vinyl and VHS tapes? With bluray now in the sub-$10 range for some new releases...
New (as in both sealed and released today) vinyl costs $20+ and vhs over $50 will DVDs follow?
I don't think so personally but it's worth discussion.

I also agree with the below post.

Depending if Streaming Media of movies doesn't take over completely, as a way to 'stop' piracy of disks.

In order for DVDs to disappear completely, High Speed Broadband would have to be free or very cheap to everyone in the world. I do not believe thats going to happen in the 10 years or maybe longer.

In order for DVDs to disappear completely, High Speed Broadband would have to be free or very cheap to everyone in the world. I do not believe thats going to happen in the 10 years or maybe longer.

As for the time-frame of when, I too agree NOT soon, but if Google gets their way, their Google-Wire will be coming to a USA town near you in the next 10 to 20 years, and most of the service (slower than the paid 1GB/s) will be free.

It's going to happen eventually. Even if in 10 to 20 years.
It's in the stars :)
And when studios start to 'sponsor' the high-speed cable or Optical Internet network wiring, that's when you know streaming will take over.

It like a Musician said about selling vinyl. "As long as people keep buying it they will keep making it."

Now as far as the reduced BD price. I think that's the industry trying to get people to upgrade to HD. But the only real way is to continue to offer the combo packs. Which keeps DVD alive because of it's portability.
ie. Road trips with kids, xcetera.

"Free" that will never happened not in my lifetime or anyone-someone has to pay for the infrastructure regardless of which side of the debate your own here for internet access. High Speed doesn't mean you can afford Streaming those are two separate services subscriptions. Streaming is a paid service and you must have ISP service to begin to stream. All this talk about streaming misses the point without ISP you got streammed.... lol..

It like a Musician said about selling vinyl. "As long as people keep buying it they will keep making it."

Now as far as the reduced BD price. I think that's the industry trying to get people to upgrade to HD. But the only real way is to continue to offer the combo packs. Which keeps DVD alive because of it's portability.
ie. Road trips with kids, xcetera.
Not only that but streaming requires a constant ISP if it breaks or where your at denies you wifi/internet access guess what streaming is junk. Just cause there is streaming doesn't mean all places will permit you to stream. DVD/BD media can be on the go and watch whenever/where-ever without asking is my streaming working or wifi working. Sure you got physical media to bring but then again one plans ahead or least people forgot how to do that already.

"Free" that will never happened not in my lifetime or anyone-someone has to pay for the infrastructure regardless of which side of the debate your own here for internet access. High Speed doesn't mean you can afford Streaming those are two separate services subscriptions. Streaming is a paid service and you must have ISP service to begin to stream. All this talk about streaming misses the point without ISP you got streammed.... lol..
Google is working on being an ISP with their Optical Internet service, FREE, for slower service other than it's paid service with 1Gb/s and higher speeds.
And they're also planning to offer Google-Stream for movies.

More about Google-Wire - Optical Fiber Internet and TV
https://fiber.google.com/about/

It's the future of Internet Service, Streaming Movies and TV

So, .. OK...it may be a while to get out of the USA, but 10 to 20 years is very do-able.

Back