• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How long will DVDs last?

Google is working on being an ISP with their Optical Internet service, FREE, for slower service other than it's paid service with 1Gb/s and higher speeds.
And they're also planning to offer Google-Stream for movies.
Right answer. But when will it be completed, last I heard it was someplace in Kansas/ LOL

Right answer. But when will it be completed, last I heard it was someplace in Kansas/ LOL

They've gotten to more places in the last few years... :) but they still have quite a ways to go...
See it all here... https://fiber.google.com/about/

I don't know if they're still planning to offer any free services as yet, but that was the original plan when it's all up and running everywhere in the USA. As of now, where it does exist, it's about $70 USD for the 1Gb/s Internet only, and $130 for TV and Internet.

image.jpg

I
More about Google-Wire - Optical Fiber Internet and TV
https://fiber.google.com/about/

It's the future of Internet Service, Streaming Movies and TV

So, .. OK...it may be a while to get out of the USA, but 10 to 20 years is very do-able.
I believe we're getting away from the thread now
Streaming is never going to replace all media.
Not in the next 50 years or more
Being a bleeding edge early adopter I'm really surprised that cvd died I didn't account for industry bullying. The same bullying that left bluray the "winner" over the superior hd-DVD
hVD had it all and was the best idea for hd when disc count wasn't factored as they spread across 2 or 3 discs like vcd does but but at the end had true 4K video at 4xxx by 2xxx maximum!
I rented videos on sd cards and I remember divx discs
Streaming has been around since the early days of AOL and Compuserve
It's now 20 years old and though nearly ubiquitous across nations it's far from replacing physical media

I

I believe we're getting away from the thread now
Streaming is never going to replace all media.
Not in the next 50 years or more
Being a bleeding edge early adopter I'm really surprised that cvd died I didn't account for industry bullying. The same bullying that left bluray the "winner" over the superior hd-DVD
hVD had it all and was the best idea for hd when disc count wasn't factored as they spread across 2 or 3 discs like vcd does but but at the end had true 4K video at 4xxx by 2xxx maximum!
I rented videos on sd cards and I remember divx discs
Streaming has been around since the early days of AOL and Compuserve
It's now 20 years old and though nearly ubiquitous across nations it's far from replacing physical media

I agree with mostly everything you said, except for the time-frame of 50 years, and streaming quality with a good ISP that's fast enough.
Even if it's not replacing disks now, it could certainly be used to Deliver the movie to your internet Box to view
It's not going to happen quickly, but eventually it will replace DVD or other movie disks, in my opinion.
50 years is asking for a lot though...even if the disks are still in existence ...their usage will be declining over time.

...Eventually the only people who have Old-style disk media, in favor of the newest flash-disk, or even future Holographic Storage Disk technology, will be the die-hard collector, or museum.

50 years is a bit much to ask of the general public, to still be using these 'small' disks for storage of anything, in the distant future of 50 years. Think about 50 years ago...are you still using any devices (original ones) with the media used in it from back then?

50 years ago I had a real-to-real tape recorder...but I haven't used it in 40 years :)
It may still work if I can find it...but I don't care. ;)

And streaming is basically new for HD, and soon 4K or higher, so it's evolving too.
The internet is changing to accommodate it, and internet pricing will be competitive to bring costs of high-speed service down, once Google Fiber gets going everywhere. (They once called it Google-Wire, I guess people thought it was cable, and not Fiber-Optics, so they renamed it Google Fiber recently...haha)

...Eventually the only people who have Old-style disk media, in favor of the newest flash-disk, or even future Holographic Storage Disk technology, will be the die-hard collector, or museum.

50 years is a bit much to ask of the general public, to still be using these 'small' disks for storage of anything, in the distant future of 50 years. Think about 50 years ago...are you still using any devices...
50... No but 40 year old tech, yes
I love my VHS and 4 track
Still watch beta tapes too
But then I am that die hard collector
I still have a DVD account with Netflix too

So you both missed and made my point. And btw flash is still physical media too!
While streaming is going to be everywhere physical media isn't going anywhere. I laugh every time someone posts somewhere about VHS being dead and yet I'm buying brand new releases on Amazon of 2015/2016/20xx films to this day
Yes we're way outside of the general mainstream but it's alive and doing quite well.
Another 50 years, well VCD may have died off by then (maybe) DVDs well be a niche market, bluray will be easily found, vhs will STILL be available though in very little quantity streaming will be in the back seat of automobiles or even the front if they drive themselves by then
Like my sega Saturn and U64 I adopted HVD and ch-DVD (now cbhd or ChinaBlue) before the hit us shores. Still play my Saturn as well.
I try everything and adopt what i like. I'm not alone

Last edited:
50... No but 40 year old tech, yes
I love my VHS and 4 track
Still watch beta tapes too
But then I am that die hard collector
I still have a DVD account with Netflix too

So you both missed and made my point. And btw flash is still physical media too!
While streaming is going to be everywhere physical media isn't going anywhere. I laugh every time someone posts somewhere about VHS being dead and yet I'm buying brand new releases on Amazon of 2015/2016/20xx films to this day
Yes we're way outside of the general mainstream but it's alive and doing quite well.
Another 50 years, well VCD may have died off by then (maybe) DVDs well be a niche market, bluray will be easily found, vhs will STILL be available though in very little quantity streaming will be in the back seat of automobiles or even the front if they drive themselves by then
Like my sega Saturn and U64 I adopted HVD and ch-DVD (now cbhd or ChinaBlue) before the hit us shores. Still play my Saturn as well.
I try everything and adopt what i like. I'm not alone

I mentioned flash sticks as something to store the movie on when using AnyDVD to copy it.
Not for studios to distribute it on, if that's what you thought I meant.
I don't see how I made your point and missed it...I think it's more that you may have misunderstood my point.
I'm mainly speaking of the movie studios that will eventually go to another form of movie availability to home customers.

Yes..you're a 'die-hard collector' ...as I said collectors and museums will always have the older tech-stuff...
It MUST be like that...it's how antiques are made. :)
Your enthusiasm for the tech itself, from its beginnings and all thru its lifespan, and beyond... keeps it safe for generations.
But you can't seriously expect the public to use old style disks forever, when Holographic Storage Drives will be ready for the market in 10 or so years.

http://phys.org/news/2016-02-eternal-5d-storage-history-humankind.html

Anyway..I do agree with you, but I'm talking about the movie studios, and what THEY will use.
I also have VHS shows recorded, but now can't find any of my VHS players that work. :rolleyes::LOL:
I wish I transferred them to DVD or hard drive files before my VHS fancy machine died...!

I didn't say DVD or other media will go away quickly...but over time it will stop being used as the main home movie media by the studios. People will still have their disk drive toys, but movies will eventually only be tightly controlled by streaming media outlets.

Certainly in the 50 years you mention. I just think it's more like 20 (or slightly sooner/later)
Maybe RedFox should consider AnyStreamHD as a new possible product...haha.:cool:

But seriously, normal optical disks as we know them now will certainly change a lot, in 20 years and maybe also in as little as 10.
It's possible movie studios will just migrate to the newer ...but if they are worried about copies being made by people that even OWN the disks...you know they'll try to somehow stop the need for movies on existing media and eventually use streaming for delivery, or real-time viewing.

Holographic Storage Drives
Ah
See as I said earlier I've rented commercial films on SD. So that's where the confusion was.
I agree holographic discs are set as the next wave of physical media technology.
There's much to be excited about there if various issues can be worked out.

My Main point was if after 37 years some studios, specialized or not, are releasing on VHS I don't see DVDs going away anytime soon. As long as there's a market some studios will continue to support it be it Camp Blood 5 coming out next month on 16mm VHS and DVD, or Transformers 17 the rise of the fall of the allspark part 3 on holographic disc. I doubt the physical market will ever dry up. And as KOW and ToeTag have shown, where there's a buyer someone will sell to them.
:)

Yes it's amazing even after 37 years you're still able to get VHS tapes of some movies, if you can find places like BlockBuster or an online outlet to buy it at.

How much longer?
I really don't actually claim to know for sure.
But studios are going to move to the perceived least pirate-able way to distribute their movies, eventually...
...and not just cheaper... But that will also add to the studios like of streaming.

If streaming is eventually fast enough and available most places to please them, sounds like a plan in their minds.
:)

I'm hoping disks will last 50 years with movies being distributed by studios...hell...I hope I'll last 50 years. :)

I hope as well. I really like analogue video. I don't know why but I like it with a line filter to "stretch" it back to 2.38 or 2.35 it really feels better for certain genres like horror , giallo, and film noir. I'd hate to watch an epic like Lotr on but but in some cases it works better
That some smaller studios utilize this fact even today is what makes me hold out hope for a long life for DVD as well.

vHS gets a dozen or so releases a year. Counting internationally. And as old equipment dies and new equipment (manufacturing and consumer side) marches up in price, eventually it will dry up and disappear .
A brand new modern birth cheap PLAYER is already in the few hundred dollars range and some higher end stuff, things that used to be $200-300, are now passing $1000. Eventually my players will die. I won't be replacing them. They're all manufactured in the last few years but the price tag is getting too high.
And I won't risk a 2015 tape in a 1985 player.
Pricing killed Betamax, CED, EVD, Laserdisc, and HVD. Eventually it will kill off HD-DVD and DVD as VHS is now suffering. Hollywood has some affect but they aren't the end all. Even without major studios HD-DVD still receives releases like VHS does. But it won't last forever!

To be honest though 50 years; I see bluray , VCD (the never was that won't die), but not DVD. Competing in the small interest market. With the various new formats to come.

To be honest though 50 years; I see bluray , VCD (the never was that won't die), but not DVD. Competing in the small interest market. With the various new formats to come.
And one assume we have money to pull from the wazoo right? BD Ultra was suppose to be new format seems a flop now. DVD will be around 59 years later just look at CD they are still around. For all the hype of BD unless you invest in the equipment the playback would be just find with upscale DVD.

And one assume we have money to pull from the wazoo right? BD Ultra was suppose to be new format seems a flop now. DVD will be around 59 years later just look at CD they are still around. For all the hype of BD unless you invest in the equipment the playback would be just find with upscale DVD.
Well considering bluray players start at $20 these days ... I'm not sure what's happening with bd4k/bdu but it's still very early . When DVDs first came out they were expensive too. Bdu isn't really anything different or special beyond tweaking the standards. Same media same format.

Well considering bluray players start at $20 these days ... I'm not sure what's happening with bd4k/bdu but it's still very early . When DVDs first came out they were expensive too. Bdu isn't really anything different or special beyond tweaking the standards. Same media same format.
Problem is BD upscale of DVD movies makes them no better then when they were DVD format. Remastering is in the Eye of the Beholder - I've seen old DVD movies remastered to BD and showed no improvements other then waste more money on collections when the DVD version played/viewed just fine.

Eh? So you understand why I like VHS to some degree too then. Lol
I don't care for bd but in some cases it's the only choice! I supported, still support HD-DVD. And its counterpart cbhd. Technologically the superior format available today
Don't get me wrong I'm not pushing bd.
I'm still mad Betamax don't didn't do better since it was better. But like the superiority of bm we got stuck with the inferior bd format.

A few comments:

• Fiber is all well and good but as Verizon showed with the failure of FIOS it is costly and takes time. FIOS, obviously, does exist but it'll never be rolled out everywhere as was the original plan. Google, of course, has far more money and power than Verizon but I still see fiber as remaining an option for the minority of users. Personally, DOCSIS 3.1 and onward is the evolutionary choice for no with fast speeds over existing copper. That being said, the providers actually have to have the infrastructure, offer the services, and do so at an acceptable price. Above all the US fails in pricing and then is then hampered by availability and speed. And, don't even get me going on broadband with data caps. If anyone wants streaming to succeed then data caps need to be abolished.
  • I still expect to see DVD hang around for quite some time to come. CD is still around for audio. The music industry tried walking away from vinyl and the demand is still there. While there are people who adopted HD-DVD, Blu-ray, and even streaming, there are many who still just live happily with DVD. Blu-ray is now the old thing with UHD Blu-ray being new. And then the next. Until more people jump on the wagon the industry has to be careful about walking away from DVD. The Industry can try to entice people but forcing people is a stupid decision.
  • DVD is available to everyone. Smaller and/or independent movie releases; Why release them on Blu-ray? Licensing costs more. Instructional DVDs? Licensing would be ridiculous. You can either get the instructional stuff on DVD or online these days. I prefer to get a disc with my product so I don't have to go online to view the content.
  • One of the very reasons that I expect DVD to remain for quite some time to come is the bad decision to make AACS mandatory on Blu-ray. For this very reason people will continue to release material on DVD. It's cheaper and still universally used.

The licensing and fees associated with bd are why the few Independents who shoot in hd release on hD-DVD in Americas and the EU; and chinablue in Asia .
Same thing happened with DVHS in the 90s. Too many rules, too many fees. As I've said many times I'm really surprised at how fast bd took off.

A few comments:
  • 1. Fiber is all well and good but as Verizon showed with the failure of FIOS it is costly and takes time. FIOS, obviously, does exist but it'll never be rolled out everywhere as was the original plan. Google, of course, has far more money and power than Verizon but I still see fiber as remaining an option for the minority of users. Personally, DOCSIS 3.1 and onward is the evolutionary choice for no with fast speeds over existing copper. That being said, the providers actually have to have the infrastructure, offer the services, and do so at an acceptable price. Above all the US fails in pricing and then is then hampered by availability and speed. And, don't even get me going on broadband with data caps. If anyone wants streaming to succeed then data caps need to be abolished.
  • 2. I still expect to see DVD hang around for quite some time to come. CD is still around for audio. The music industry tried walking away from vinyl and the demand is still there. While there are people who adopted HD-DVD, Blu-ray, and even streaming, there are many who still just live happily with DVD. Blu-ray is now the old thing with UHD Blu-ray being new. And then the next. Until more people jump on the wagon the industry has to be careful about walking away from DVD. The Industry can try to entice people but forcing people is a stupid decision.
  • 3. DVD is available to everyone. Smaller and/or independent movie releases; Why release them on Blu-ray? Licensing costs more. Instructional DVDs? Licensing would be ridiculous. You can either get the instructional stuff on DVD or online these days. I prefer to get a disc with my product so I don't have to go online to view the content.
  • 4. One of the very reasons that I expect DVD to remain for quite some time to come is the bad decision to make AACS mandatory on Blu-ray. For this very reason people will continue to release material on DVD. It's cheaper and still universally used.
1. So what happened to our Tax payer subsidy that we gave them? The tax payers paid for the infrastructure and tax breaks and yet they can't make fiber? This is alot of excuse from them.
2. That is the part alot of BD and newer tech don't want to see but they are there whether or not they want to acknowledge them or not.
3. That's the reason cost....
4. Too many AACS on BD and the harder you make it for people to back the less they are willing to buy. User are backup up their movies nowdays they aren't a abyss of cash to spend on hand.

How long will DVDs last?

The DVD video format has lasted longer, far longer, than the studios would want, it has very little of the DRM features they want to stop what they consider piracy. Even Bluray is not as secure as the studios want.

Also the studios don't like having to mass produce physical media that can be used and reused by any number of people without paying for an additional license fee. With streaming they can charge for each viewing, just as they do with watching a movie in theaters.

The DVD video format has lasted longer, far longer, than the studios would want, it has very little of the DRM features they want to stop what they consider piracy. Even Bluray is not as secure as the studios want.

Also the studios don't like having to mass produce physical media that can be used and reused by any number of people without paying for an additional license fee. With streaming they can charge for each viewing, just as they do with watching a movie in theaters.
That's why I'll probably keep on buying Blu-ray/DVD combo packs for the foreseeable future.

I don't trust the movie/TV studios to treat us, the buying public, with any respect, only the studios will be sticking their hand out demanding more cash for their product, in any format that they come up with.

Back