• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How do I stop every AnyDVD update from forcing Autostart to enabled?

dannyz

I did do a search on this but wasn't able to find an answer.

Every time I update AnyDVD, Autostart is enabled and so is Automatically check for new AnyDVD version. These changes to my preferences are particularly irritating for my Win8.1 admin ID, as I never use AnyDVD from it.

How to I change this behavior?

u don't, that setting reset is by design. And if u never use it, then why do you have it installed on that pc?

u don't, that setting reset is by design. And if u never use it, then why do you have it installed on that pc?
It sounds like you misunderstood me. I never use AnyDVD from my ADMIN ID, so find it irritating. I do use AnyDVD on my USER ID.

ur answer that forcing customers to change the Autostart is "by design" doesn't answer my question. Since you don't work for Slysoft, it's unclear to me, why you bothered to answer. I assume you are not in the decision loop to OK design changes.

My question was simple. The change would be trivial. If there were a substantial benefit to SlySoft to keep forcing the manual intervention on each update, I might understand, but I don't see the advantage to Slysoft.

i'm perfectly in position to answer your question, even if i don't work for slysoft. Why did i bother to answer, well for starters this is a USER to USER forum, not the slysoft support page. Secondly, its not going to change. James (someone who actually DOES work for slysoft) has stated that it is by design and will not change. This due to the fact that some forget they disabled auto start and 2nd for update check reasons.

There is no manual intervention, by slysoft or anyone else. Certain user settings are kept on an update, others arent. Disabled auto-start is one that isn't, that setting will get reverted back to the default 'autostart with windows', everytime.

So feel free tell me again why i shouldn't answer but even if u file a support ticket on the main page they'll tell you the exact same thing. Autostart with windows is by design (default), and will not change.

But seeing as you don't want me to respond and answer you maybe i shouldn't have said all that. So i'll leave it at that, its not going to change.

Manual Method which takes 3 seconds

After and update:

Right click the red fox at the right/bottom of your screen
Uncheck autostart and select exit:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Manual Method which takes 3 seconds

After and update:

Right click the red fox at the right/bottom of your screen
Uncheck autostart and select exit:D

You must be kidding me - that's trivia why anyone who has used SlySoft software for a while is familiar with.

Many users have multiple IDs on the same machine. The current implementation forces updating AnyDVD preferences on every ID with each update.

Ch3vr0n and James,

Ch3vr0n - Let's ratchet this down. I meant no disrespect to you. I didn't mean to convey that you shouldn't respond, I was only saying you did not appear to be in a position to implement the change I was requesting. I've never asked for any SlySoft support. But I certainly recall James giving status updates on this "USER to USER forum", seeking more data to fix problems.

James - Ch3vr0n said: "James has stated that it is by design and will not change. This due to the fact that some forget they disabled auto start and 2nd for update check reasons."

I get your need to contain trivial customer support requests - I really do. So how about leaving it the way it is, but enabling a registry change that would not force autostart with each update (especially for all IDs on the machine)? Anyone that is willing to edit their registry isn't likely ask for support because they forgot that autostart was turned off.

I don't know what "update check reasons" means.

update check reasons, simple. If anydvd isn't running, it can't check for newer versions can it ;) It has happened in the past were ppl had autostart disabled, and they only used it occasionally. so when a problem arose they were a dozen versions behind or more. Updating to the latest version solved all of em. Thus ppl had forgotten there was a new version.

As far as the registry setting goes, thats not my call. That'll be upto james, but i doubt it'll happen

Ch3vr0n,

Thanks for the clarification.

My request is for a change to AnyDVD, that would improve the customer experience, for those who would never ask for support on questions about autostart or autoupdate. IMO implementing the improvement via registry key(s)/(values) could do this. And I assume that SlySoft would include a disclaimer that there would be NO support or questions answered about the registry edit.

But I recognize, that since I have a life-time AnyDVD license (purchased in 2009 for about $50), there's little in it for Slysoft to change things for me. So let's think outside the box. I'd be willing to augment my life-time license with a $10 productivity feature, than enabled me to suppress autostart and autoupdates. Seems like a win/win option. More profit for Slysoft, with little development or support cost, and more convenience for me.

Please forward my suggestion, if you feel it has merit, to James, or an appropriate person in Slysoft.

Why leave money on the table, when some customers are willing to pay more for convenience?

i can't fw anything. I don't work for them. Your suggestion has been posted lots of times, and each time it was the same answer from james. By design, not going to change. Slysoft ppl like james do regurarly visit the forums, if and when james sees this and maybe responds. 99.99% sure it'll be the same answer again.

i can't fw anything. I don't work for them. Your suggestion has been posted lots of times, and each time it was the same answer from james. By design, not going to change. Slysoft ppl like james do regurarly visit the forums, if and when james sees this and maybe responds. 99.99% sure it'll be the same answer again.

Yeah, and they can't seem to get it through their heads that it's a bug that MANY people would like to see fixed (yes, it's bug, it's not by design, that's just stupid).

I have complained about this many times as I have AnyDVD on a machine that it can't be running on all the time, so I disable autostart and only run the software when I need it... And I have to do that every time I install... If _I_ change a setting to something that suits my workflow/workstation, why can't that setting be left the way I set it? I've never seen any other software deliberately undo and user settings like that (unless its the kind of software that just resets everything).

I understand the basic response from SlySoft will be 'We don't care what you think, it's staying this way', but I really would like an explanation of exactly why they think it should be done this way? I don't think AnyDVD should be running 24/7 on my computer, so why can't I have it set that way and STAY set that way?

Think of it this way: If you set it to not auto-start, and then updating does NOT change that setting, how many threads like this would be started with people complaining about that? Compare that to how many times someone starts a thread complaining that their settings aren't remembered...

The attitude of 'we know better than you do' when they have no idea who you (the end user) is is just bad programming/UI design. Like I said, I _can't_ leave AnyDVD running all the time as it alters the content of any disc I put in the player, which makes verifying discs against files on the hard drive impossible. If AnyDVD is running, these verifications always fail, so I need to keep it off most of the time.

It's not a bug, anydvd is designed that way to reset certain settings. And the reset of autostart is one of it. And you can prevent anydvd from interfering with verifying yet still have it running. Go to drive selection, untick the drive and you're done.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Why are people so freaking worried about the Auto start feature? It takes 5 seconds to uncheck it after updating... SMH

There are numerous reasons to reset the settings to check for updates and to run AnyDVD at startup including idiot-proofing it. The developers have stated the behavior is intended. It's not likely to change. It is what it is. There's nothing bad about this. If a user wishes to not have these options enabled then simply update AnyDVD when necessary and manually deselect the two options. Not hard or time consuming.

Here's the relevant parts of an old discussion:

Why each update resets the config? (http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?57354-Why-each-update-resets-the-config)

Hello,

I have been using AnyDVD since few years now and it is generally doing what it is supposed to do. So I'm happy.

But there is really one thing I don't get with it. I'm sure it has been asked before. I looked around (search / FAQ) a little. Maybe I just missed it.

Subject says it all. Why AnyDVD updates do not keep user preferences?

It's no big deal. Just a minore annoyance.

Most noticeable
[X] AutoStart
[X] Automatically check for new AnyDVD version

It does. Except for 2 or 3 essential settings.

Yep, these will always be reset.

Yeah, and they can't seem to get it through their heads that it's a bug that MANY people would like to see fixed (yes, it's bug, it's not by design, that's just stupid).

100% wrong. Please don't invent garbage like this. Refer to my previous post.

rik1138,

Would you be willing to pay SlySoft an additional $10 one-time-fee? This "personal productivity" fee would augment your AnyDVD license to respect the settings you chose across updates.

Maybe, if enough folks agreed to pay $10 (just a reasonable example), SlySoft, and it's customers could both win.

There are numerous reasons to reset the settings to check for updates and to run AnyDVD at startup including idiot-proofing it.

I haven't been able to find any reason's except idiot-proofing it. Please expound on these numerous reasons.

Could be wrong

One thing AnyDVD does do and why sometimes CloneCD is needed is that it prevents data buried on any type of optical media from loading upon insertion (i.e. Rootkits,etc.)

rik1138,

Would you be willing to pay SlySoft an additional $10 one-time-fee? This "personal productivity" fee would augment your AnyDVD license to respect the settings you chose across updates.

Maybe, if enough folks agreed to pay $10 (just a reasonable example), SlySoft, and it's customers could both win.

I happen to be a customer, myself. I honestly have never understood why this is such a big deal for an infinitesimally small subset of users. Let's imagine the overall number of people who use AnyDVD. It's not a small number. Since 2007 I've seen less than a dozen people request or go on rants about this. That is a small number. So, doing the math... Yeah, that really is an infinitesimally small number.

I haven't been able to find any reason's except idiot-proofing it. Please expound on these numerous reasons.

Autorun prevention on Video DVDs via the PC-Friendly setting within AnyDVD is another example. An insanely large number of PC users just don't know any better than to completely disable autorun let alone how to do it through the Windows settings.

With respect to every single possible design reason for why the behavior is the way the behavior is, that's a developer question and I'm not a developer.

Back