• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Why each update resets the config?

dvd4fun

Hello,

I have been using AnyDVD since few years now and it is generally doing what it is supposed to do. So I'm happy.

But there is really one thing I don't get with it. I'm sure it has been asked before. I looked around (search / FAQ) a little. Maybe I just missed it.

Subject says it all. Why AnyDVD updates do not keep user preferences?

It's no big deal. Just a minore annoyance.

Hello,

I have been using AnyDVD since few years now and it is generally doing what it is supposed to do. So I'm happy.

But there is really one thing I don't get with it. I'm sure it has been asked before. I looked around (search / FAQ) a little. Maybe I just missed it.

Subject says it all. Why AnyDVD updates do not keep user preferences?

It's no big deal. Just a minore annoyance.
That doesn't happen with my settings, what specific settings are returning to default ? I only have two set in my case _ Speed Menu, and Keep Original Menu, and they have always stayed that way when I apply an update.
At any rate I am sure one of the developers will also comment... :)

Last edited:
That doesn't happen with my settings, what specific settings are returning to default ? I only have two set in my case _ Speed Menu, and Keep Original Menu, and they have always stayed that way when I apply an update.
At any rate I am sure one of the developers will also comment... :)

Most noticeable
[X] AutoStart
[X] Automatically check for new AnyDVD version

Yep, these will always be reset.

I guess I know that. The OP question is why? :D

I don't see anything essential with those - That's why I systematically shut them off at each updates.

You could try the forum search

I answered this many times, here is the short version:

Support nightmare. People disable the autostart, they disable their notification icon, they disable the update check. And they don't remember how to revert it. Installing a new version will at least reset these essential settings.

You could try the forum search

I actually did. Tell me what words you would be using and how many hits you get?

Autostart returns 270 hits. I didn't feel like reading them all.
How about "update" or "config"? Common words in many many subjects as well.

I've read the faq and spent some time on the search before asking.

I just looked at the link you provided - Subject of the 2 years old post "Reverend Rewind" - Now that's obvious - How could I have possibly missed it? ;-)
(Rhetorical question)

Last edited:
Support nightmare. People disable the autostart, they disable their notification icon, they disable the update check. And they don't remember how to revert it.

Then make it more obvious to revert it, put it in the FAQ, etc.

I disagree with the argument. But this is not something I will chose to fight for.

Thread closed as far as I'm concerned.

My gift to the community is to have bumped the topic with a more intuitive subject.

"Reverend Rewind" :clap: That's a keeper :D

Why disable?

[X] AutoStart
[X] Automatically check for new AnyDVD version

When AnyDVD is idle, it is not taking up any CPU at all & it is ready to go the instant a disc is inserted into the drive.
Why would you not want to be informed automatically when the newest ("stable") version is released?

When AnyDVD is idle, it is not taking up any CPU at all & it is ready to go the instant a disc is inserted into the drive.
Why would you not want to be informed automatically when the newest ("stable") version is released?

Personal taste I guess. I like to keep my machine lean. I run a lot of things responsibly on my computer. I don't load what I don't need and I prefer not having 50 applications phoning home each time I boot. So I shut them all.

I regularly check for updates and as far as Slysoft products are concerned. I even get an email notification when new updates are out.

I never get the "imposed to all" what only profits to very few. But that's another debate.

I guess I know that. The OP question is why? :D
I don't see anything essential with those - That's why I systematically shut them off at each updates.
From previous replies I saw on that matter, I think the reasons are:

Check for New Version - so customers won't encounter a disc they can't decrypt and come complaining only to find out they use a version from 2011.

Auto Start - so customers won't think anydvd isn't working, when in fact it's just not on.

I don't like that those get set back to default either. Notifications are useless to me cause I install latest betas regularly, and those don't get notified. I don't turn that setting off, but it would be a lot more useful if betas would get notified as well.
As for Auto Start, I prefer to start anydvd when I need it and not have it idle at all times.

Last edited:
Back