• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Options After Install

Hi. Would it be possible to maybe have it so that when a newer version of AnyDVD is installed, that it does not automatically re-enable the "AutoStart" and "Check Automatically for Updates" options?

I really don't like having to change them back to being disabled each time I update AnyDVD. I don't like for any of my software to auto-check. I have all of my links to the download pages and manually check myself for each of them. I just don't like the annoying (to me) messages popping up when I run something and then it interrupts what I'm doing, because my OCD kicks in and I can't concentrate until I go and get the update! It's true. :)

One other thing please... I appreciate that there is an option to _not_ have it create a Desktop icon each time I update the software, but it does create a Start Menu folder entry and I cannot stop it from doing that and would really like to. I organize my Start Menu carefully and so I place it in a sub-sub-menu and so I would like to be able to uncheck a box to disable the creation of a Start Menu entry as well.

Could I request these two things as options, please?

I'd be happy if autostart at least would be not re-enabled on every update but it's been said it's "by design" and not going to change. I find it annoying to to have to uncheck every time as it potentially can cause the license to become useless if you are using anydvd on 2 pcs and accidently have anydvd running on both. I'd really not want to have to buy it again cause of such a scenario.

I'd be happy if autostart at least would be not re-enabled on every update but it's been said it's "by design" and not going to change. I find it annoying to to have to uncheck every time as it potentially can cause the license to become useless if you are using anydvd on 2 pcs and accidently have anydvd running on both. I'd really not want to have to buy it again cause of such a scenario.

No, I'm actually a legal lifetime key owner, using it on one computer. I just don't like having to deal with that option every time, that's all. :)

No response from anyone at SlySoft? Or have you read it and are considering it??? Maybe? :)

I agree with Reverend Rewind. The settings would surely not be critical for the performance of AnyDVD. And, btw, Game Jackal does find its previous start menu position when updated. It would be great if AnyDVD (and CloneDVD as well) could do this, too.

I'd be happy if autostart at least would be not re-enabled on every update but it's been said it's "by design" and not going to change.
Correct. AnyDVD should *always* be enabled. Like a virus scanner.

I find it annoying to to have to uncheck every time as it potentially can cause the license to become useless if you are using anydvd on 2 pcs and accidently have anydvd running on both.
Not really. ;)

Hi. Would it be possible to maybe have it so that when a newer version of AnyDVD is installed, that it does not automatically re-enable the "AutoStart" and "Check Automatically for Updates" options?

No, this is intentional behavior.

I agree with Reverend Rewind. The settings would surely not be critical for the performance of AnyDVD. And, btw, Game Jackal does find its previous start menu position when updated. It would be great if AnyDVD (and CloneDVD as well) could do this, too.

Yea, and as I said (maybe elsewhere), have the option to NOT create a Start Menu entry, since there already is one.

You see, I don't use the standard placement and I make sub-menus off of the main one. Like "Utilities", "Multimedia", "Games", etc..

So for me, AnyDVD is located at:

START >> ALL PROGRAMS >> MULTIMEDIA >> VIDEO >> CONV-EDIT-RIP

Their install is just NOT gonna put it there! :) Lots of program have the option to not install a Start Menu entry, plus SlySoft already allows you to not install the Desktop icon, so hey, why not?

Anyway, that's just me and thanks for chiming in with your agreement about the options "AutoStart" and "Check for Updates" options! Maybe they were waiting to see if anyone actually agrees with me. Now someone does! :)

Correct. AnyDVD should *always* be enabled. Like a virus scanner.

Huh??? That's the opposite of what I was saying and I don't see why anyone would want it enabled all the time. I don't usually watch DVD's on my computer, but if I do, they're always my backups, not the originals, so I don't need it for that. And AnyDVD can interfere with some burning programs. I'm not criticizing it for that, I'm just saying that it can happen, so I don't want it running when I use those either and I might forget to exit it before starting a burning program.

So, other than for decrypting an original to make a backup and watching original DVD's on my computer, the latter of which I never do, I see no reason to have it running all the time. If you do on your computer, then that's fine for you. But that would just make my point that it should be an OPTION. :)

No, this is intentional behavior.

I know it's intentional James. That's why it does it. :)

But why is it intentional? That would be the obvious and logical next question. :)

As I said in my other message, I never watch original DVD's in my computer and I don't run it while I'm burning discs.

In fact, just FYI, AnyDVD is NEVER running on my system, unless I'm making a backup and I always disable those two options (AutoStart & Check for Updates) anyway. And they are options in the "Program Settings" screen, so I don't understand what the big deal is. I actually don't know anybody who runs it all the time. I really don't. I'm sure there are people who do, I'm just not one of them, which would seem to support the idea that it should be optional, no?

And separately, can't an option be added during the install that prevents it from creating a Startup Menu entry, in addition to the one that already exists for disabling it from creating a Desktop icon during install? Please see my other message in this thread for why. :)

I know it's intentional James. That's why it does it. :)

But why is it intentional? That would be the obvious and logical next question. :)

I answered this many times, here is the short version:

Support nightmare. People disable the autostart, they disable their notification icon, they disable the update check. And they don't remember how to revert it. Installing a new version will at least reset these essential settings.

I answered this many times, here is the short version:

Support nightmare. People disable the autostart, they disable their notification icon, they disable the update check. And they don't remember how to revert it. Installing a new version will at least reset these essential settings.

So basically, you're saying we're too stupid to own software, huh?!

Just kidding. :)

The short version explains it plenty.

But seriously, one would think that those who disabled it would want to keep it that way, no? Yet they still bug you? Weird!

Yea, I can see where that would be a support nightmare.

Just curious though, couldn't that be solved by a message during install? I have seen those. You know, one that says; "To enable/disable AutoStart, Check for Updates and other such settings, go into the Program Settings screen", blah, blah, blah. :)

It just seems weird, because honestly, this is the ONLY program that I have EVER owned (at least that I can remember, anyway) that has these options, that forces them to be turned on with every update.

I mean after all, an update should update what *I* *have* for a setup, not what the company wishes I had to avoid emails (no offense meant). Surely you can see my point there James, no?

I have also seen where a company has an email option on their web site and for those things they don't want to be bothered about, they state that right there, in big red letters that you will see before emailing them. It might even provide a link to how to do that particular thing. Then, if that's not what you wanted, go ahead and email them. And if it's forums that is the only support, then a sticky at the top usually takes care of it. Or an intro email sent by it to the new user etc., etc., blah, blah, you know.

Gee, look at all that typing about it above! I didn't know these options bothered me this much until now! HAHAHAHA!!! :)

You must admit that it is true though. It is not normal to have those options and then have updates keep turning them back on again.

I still want it! Waaaaaaaaa!!! :)

Last edited:
So basically, you're saying we're too stupid to own software, huh?!

Just kidding. :)

The short version explains it plenty.

But seriously, one would think that those who disabled it would want to keep it that way, no? Yet they still bug you? Weird!
No, they nuked it (deleted the desktop icon, disabled autostart), can't get AnyDVD to run again and start bugging our support team with mails. Seriously.
If these people re-install, it'll work again.

No, they nuked it (deleted the desktop icon, disabled autostart), can't get AnyDVD to run again and start bugging our support team with mails. Seriously.
If these people re-install, it'll work again.

Yea, I hear ya.

Hey, maybe you could put a question into the install process, that will determine of the settings will stay the way the user wants them or not!

It could ask;

"Are you a dumba*s?"

And there you have it! :)

Thanks Jim. I understand now. :)

It just seems weird, because honestly, this is the ONLY program that I have EVER owned (at least that I can remember, anyway) that has these options, that forces them to be turned on with every update.
No; Java insists on loading jqs.exe and "update automatically" also. Besides having the added annoyance of not bothering to install-over the older version. What a PIA--I have to twiddle with it every time.

I complained about this "check for updates" AnyDVDHD thing years ago, to no avail. You'll just have to stop whining/crying and fix it every time like I do. You know about it; have now written volumes about it. So you won't forget will you! And if you only update with official versions then it's not a big deal as they don't happen ALL that often! :p

No; Java insists on loading jqs.exe and "update automatically" also. Besides having the added annoyance of not bothering to install-over the older version. What a PIA--I have to twiddle with it every time.

I complained about this "check for updates" AnyDVDHD thing years ago, to no avail. You'll just have to stop whining/crying and fix it every time like I do. You know about it; have now written volumes about it. So you won't forget will you! And if you only update with official versions then it's not a big deal as they don't happen ALL that often! :p

You're right, of course. Java does. So does iTunes/QuickTime.

I don't consider those to be "programs" though. They are. What I mean is that I don't go and open them up and use them. They just "work" when I do something else, like Java just "works" when I use FireFox, ya know?

I should have been more careful in my explanation. I meant like you open CloneDVD, or VirtualDub, or InPaint (GREAT little program!!!), or "The Word Bible software", ya know, stuff like that. :)

I don't count Java, like I don't count VB6, nor the C++ and .NET addons into Windows.

But you are right. They do do that! And I do have to disable those as well. But those I can do through my StartEd program (another GREAT little program!!!), whereas with AnyDVD, I have to go into it and change its options.

And yes, you're right. I won't forget. I haven't yet. I'm anal that way. :)

I fought the good fight! But I know the fight is over. But I still think we could go with the "Are you a dumba*s?" question and I'll just leave it with that thought, okay?

HAHAHAHAHA!!! :)

You're right, of course. Java does. So does iTunes/QuickTime.

I don't consider those to be "programs" though. They are. What I mean is that I don't go and open them up and use them. They just "work" when I do something else, like Java just "works" when I use FireFox, ya know?
As does AnyDVD. It is an extension to the operating system. Not just a "program". ;)

As does AnyDVD. It is an extension to the operating system. Not just a "program". ;)

Yes, I understand that. Not "just".

First of all, I realize that my statement that I don't include Java as a program in my mind, is technically wholly incorrect. I have been a tech for about 30 years and have also taught everything from sub-atomic theory, to global wireless networks and so I understand this. I was just stating my way of thinking when I use my own computer and what most lay people call "a program", since that is who I am dealing with most of the time. One learns to talk their language and sometimes it spills over. Sorry about that.

What I'm saying about AnyDVD, is that I MANUALLY run it, whereas with Java, I don't. When I want to view a web page with Java in it, I don't click on Java first and then run Firefox.

Rather, I bring up Firefox and go to a page that has Java code and it just automatically runs. Not because there's a check box in Java that allows me to change that after bringing "Java by itself on the screen", but because it just does that. AnyDVD won't do that, if I uncheck the little AutoStart box.

And unlike Java, which I have to run to view Java pages properly, I don't have to run AnyDVD to watch a movie. It would be wise to, if it's an original disc, but I don't have to. Especially since I never use my computer to watch original discs.

I really don't want to get into an argument over it though, James. And I'm not arguing with you at all. I have agreed with you on every point, once you explained it to me as to why the options keep getting reenabled and that Java is a program, which someone else said, I believe. Arguing with you is really was not my intent! As I said, I fought the good fight for the options and lost and I do understand why.

Please keep in mind that I have been joking around quite a bit, James. I do use the smilies and "<lol>'s" seriously, meaning that I'm not being sarcastic and trying to hide it. I do intend it as humor, just like the "dumba*s" question. I thought that would get a laugh. :)

So maybe we should end the tread here, before people start getting upset, which some people (I'm not saying you) do if you say anything that they perceive as being something other than worship. <lol>

So we might be better off just ending it here. I like AnyDVD a lot! It's a great program and it's the best at what it does, hands down, period!

And I will continue to use it and I did buy a lifetime key and own more than one of those for a few SlySoft programs and I'm happy with them. Like CloneCD. I don't know of any other program that can lay a perfect backup of a DL disc down, without reorganizing it's structure and messing it up. With the others, you have to "fix" that. But with CloneCD, it just does it perfectly and exactly as the original is! So even though I have only used ClondCD like 5 times, I know that I will be using it again and I do believe that it was worth the price of the lifetime key!

As for AnyDVD, I just wanted to see if it could be arranged to have the options stay as I set them when I perform an update. You said it can't and told me why and I understand your reasoning, so now I have no problem with the extra steps. I have worked support for major companies like IBM, Eckerd & others and have worked with engineers and programmers from major companies like AT&T and IBM and a couple of international computer companies, one of which I ran four departments in and so I do know support problems.

I do understand the email problem that can be created by not taking away a couple of things here and there from the average user!

In other words, I hear ya, James! :)

It was a pleasure talking to you and I hope we never have to do it again, because that might mean that I'm having a technical problem with one of the programs. Hahaha! :)

Cya later, Jim. Take care and have a great day! Seriously.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by moose :
I find it annoying to to have to uncheck every time as it potentially can cause the license to become useless if you are using anydvd on 2 pcs and accidently have anydvd running on both.

Not really. ;)

that's news to me. it was my understanding that if I have anydvd running on 2 different pcs it will eventually blacklist my license. so I always make sure it's only running once. In fact I always make sure to close it after use in case I wanna use it on the other pc and had forgotten to close it. Which is why I always disable autostart.

Back