• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How do I stop every AnyDVD update from forcing Autostart to enabled?

It takes about 3 seconds to change the program setting to what you want. Slysoft is not going to change this program for you DUh your an iriot or something like that. Get a life and post something about anydvd thats constructive. Ta ta to you.

You've repeated the same boring mantra that several others also have in this thread - change the settings each time - duh!

My central point is that having to change settings on multiple IDs with every AnyDVD update is a needless irritation. It doesn't reduce SlySoft's support costs and James made it clear, in this thread, that he was surprised that it was even happening. Is it a critical issue - of course not. But in some future release, it seems like a reasonable improvement, with no downside.

So unless you have a constructive idea - go away.

No.. James has since made it clear that "that reply" was in error and that AnyDVD is acting EXACTLY as intended.
Having auto-updates and auto-start on makes the program more "idiot proof" - reducing stupid support questions.
You're beating a dead horse. :bang:
-W

Clams, thank you for your reasonable post. I understood, and accepted the rationale to "idiot proof" AnyDVD early on in this thread. In fact, I was the first to post a reference to James' explanation of the need.

James did not "make it clear". He declared my problem with multiple IDs invalid, with no explanation as to why. Extending his original "idiot-proofing" rationale to multiple IDs on the same machine is a big stretch. And no one has even attempted to explain why, forced settings need to be propagated to multiple IDs.

I would have understood a response that said it was too costly to fix the forced update on multiple IDs for the amount of people affected. Or a reasonable response about why auto-update must be forced on multiple IDs. Or a work-around, for technically proficient customers, that are currently being forced to manually change the settings on multiple IDs for every update. I asked for all of these things in this thread. But the universal response was silence.

So I think I now understand. Requests about AnyDVD not being able to handle a new DVD seem to be quickly addressed. But, reporting of AnyDVD general program bugs are not welcome. They are met with denial and belittlement.

So I reluctantly agree with you. I appear to be beating a dead (unresponsive) horse.

James did not "make it clear". He declared my problem with multiple IDs invalid, with no explanation as to why. Extending his original "idiot-proofing" rationale to multiple IDs on the same machine is a big stretch. And no one has even attempted to explain why, forced settings need to be propagated to multiple IDs.

I feel you hit the point that the multiple ID thing is too small a population base to warrent much action. When you couple that with the fact that they want the software to auto-load and auto-update - ya - it's a dead issue.
Moving forward from there. AnyDVD functions mostly at the device driver level, so it's not really meant to be a start/stop program. It's in the background, you use it - or not - and it's not supposed to be intrusive at all.
So - past that. I'm no Windows Guru - but I thought that different user ID's can set custom installs that load up they way that user specifies.
I assume only one user actually needs to use AnyDVD. So why not investigate custom boot settings of some sort??
The work-around won't come via AnyDVD - but that that really put you out of other options?
-W

The only thing that bothers me with the brilliant AnyDVD... Since you guys strongly favour the way it currently works and are happy with breaking the age-old computing convention that updates are supposed to retain user settings (unless we are talking about major updates - not the case here), why not remove the Autostart option from the program altogether?

"It only takes x seconds to change it [every single time]" is completely irrelevant. Imagine all software developers saying that.

It is a user setting that does not work as described, it does not work as expected by common sense and computing convention, and is of no use to the user since his/her selection is not respected. If you think this setting is so important to always have enabled, please don't offer a "fake" option for it that doesn't really work. Remove it, because it makes the program look bad (yes, I know it's not a major issue, but still).

First of, please don't resurrect a 4.5 year old dead thread. That said, the setting works exactly as it should. It is BY DESIGN that autostart gets re-enabled. It has nothing to do with retaining user settings or not.

Thanks and sorry for resurrecting. Of course it is by design, since the developers designed it this way. What is the purpose of offering the user the option to change it then, since (by design) the user will be ignored and it will be changed back?

Simple, a lot of the times users disable that setting, and forget then to check for updates for anydvd (without anydvd autostarting, it can't check for updates when it's disabled), then encounter a title that doesn't work for them (but with a recent update for example got supported weeks / months ago) and come to the forums to "complain" their title isn't supported (yet). Only to be told it was months ago and they're about a dozen versions behind.

Wouldn't be the first time this happens.

Sorry, but that does not answer the question or address the issue. The problem is a user/program setting that is not respected and does not work. The rest is irrelevant (update checks, annoying forum users and even the function of Autostart itself).

It works exactly as it's supposed to. It stays off after you disable it, and only gets turned back on after you update it. That's how it's designed, that's how it should work and that's how it DOES work. If you can't / won't accept that, then i'm afraid that'll be your problem. This has been discussed many times in the past and things will stay as they are, everything is working as intented.

...and only gets turned back on after you update it.
That part is not described to the user anywhere. No other AnyDVD option behaves likes this. So, it might well behave as designed/intended but it sure doesn't behave as described or expected.

Please don't make this a personal thing. I can live with it. I only expect some common sense from the program.

Automaticly check for updates is NOT changed - not on my PC's anyway.

That part is not described to the user anywhere. No other AnyDVD option behaves likes this. So, it might well behave as designed/intended but it sure doesn't behave as described or expected.

Please don't make this a personal thing. I can live with it. I only expect some common sense from the program.

Remember - they are playing to the lowest common demominator - ie the dumbest end user.
Turning auto-start ON is an insurance policy against stupid "it doesn't work anymore" trouble calls.
In THAT light - it makes sense.
-W

Back