• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

gpl source code violation discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Sarcasm] How many woodchuck would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck would? :D [/ End Sarcasm]

But on the other hand I read that it is legal to break the GPL laws but it is illegal to break the DMCA laws? Sounds like a double edge sword to me. Ilegal is Ilegal and what one does they are the ones to pay the price so why even care about what one does and defend what one does at the same. Hmm I just confused myself with this one to as it makes sense. :D

But on the other hand I read that it is legal to break the GPL laws but it is illegal to break the DMCA laws?

Actually, that's why I'm making a moral distinction--rather than a legal one. I think it's perfectly fine to backup something that you have purchased for your own private non-commercial use (I'd rather wreck a backup than wreck my originals, for example). I feel the DCMA violates most Fair Use Rights. I find it immoral to violate GPL licensing.

Do I know whether this has actually taken place? No.

Has someone provided enough reason to give me concern that it has? Yes.

In fact, I own some of the software licenses that have been shown to be possibly breaking the GPL licensing here in this thread, so I'm a bit concerned.

I'm now suddenly not supposed to be asking whether linx05 received a response?

Last edited:
No he cannot just do anything he wants. He is a moderator, and there are administrators above him.

Yes, I really can't do anything I want. I almost always consult with the other moderators. I bite my tongue a lot. I write things, and then I realize I can't. So I delete my own posts. Sometimes I feel some people have been exceedingly rude towards me, and I have to walk away from the keyboard out of fear that I'll write something I'll regret later, etc. I always have to try to be polite as much as I possibly can. When people attack me, I'm fairly reluctant to ban them because then it looks like I'm just doing something personal, etc. I'm constantly modifying my posts to help ensure I don't come across as being too harsh in some cases. In some cases I secretely agree with people, but I have to admonish them anyway. Etc.

Anyway, if the the other mods, Slysoft admin, James, etc., want to close this thread, that's fine with me. I don't really care.

I just asked linx05 a question. Geesh.

Last edited:
Yes I agree with you there. Point is you can't state stuff on the legalalities of backing up DVD's and how that is wrong and then defend someone when accusations are that open source was used and not granted thanks to the original author if indeed was done. This is the double edge sword.

No problem

It's always nice to visit forums who have completely open and objective views on things. When in doubt - insult the opposition.
I'm thankful that James and Slysoft do not generally take part in this crap.
Elaborate Bytes - and their offshore company Slysoft provide quality products - may they continue to be successful - without resorting to the tactics advocated in this forum - specifically slandering competitive products and their developers.

advocated in this forum - specifically slandering competitive products and their developers.

This representatives of this Slysoft forum are not advocating slander, no matter how much you wish to misrepresent the facts as you see them.

misrepresent the facts as i see them?

This representatives of this Slysoft forum are not advocating slander, no matter how much you wish to misrepresent the facts as you see them.

"misrepresent the facts as you see them."????

you need to think through your posts before you hit enter . . . .
i present the facts exactly as I see them . . .

"misrepresent the facts as you see them."????

you need to think through your posts before you hit enter . . . .
i present the facts exactly as I see them . . .

If you misrepresent a fact, it's no longer one.

Regardless, point taken. I meant "fit", but that's not proper either.

If you would like me to proofread your posts for you, let me know. I am always thankful when people resort to pointing out my grammatical errors, especially when they are making false claims and unable to support the basis of their arguments in what amounts to a technical support forum. Here's a freebie:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=49854&postcount=71

Rich86 said:
"it is completely irrelevant whether you own a dvd or not as related to the legality of copying it"

"or not" is redundant; "completely" is as well.

"as related to"--awkward (and improper usage as well)

Shall I continue? :rolleyes:

I'm done with this discussion (if you want to reply, insult me, continue to misconstrue what's transpired, etc., feel free; I don't care).

Last edited:
By saying this then you are for sure that what was originally asked that it is for sure with out a doubt not true then? I think you may want to look at the compelling evidence both here and on cdfreaks. DVD Fab is a great product no doubt about that but questionable on the original source code is what is the ordeal. He claims it is all his by not stating in the GPL it is from so and so.....

nope - no insult intended.

If you misrepresent a fact, it's no longer one.

Regardless, point taken. I meant "fit", but that's not proper either.

If you would like me to proofread your posts for you, let me know. I am always thankful when people resort to pointing out my grammatical errors, especially when they are making false claims and unable to support the basis of their arguments in what amounts to a technical support forum. Here's a freebie:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=49854&postcount=71

"or not" is redundant; "completely" is as well.

"as related to"--awkward (and improper usage as well)

Shall I continue? :rolleyes:

I'm done with this discussion (if you want to reply, insult me, continue to misconstrue what's transpired, etc., feel free; I don't care).

on the contrary - i absolutely respect you and your opinions - and would never intentionally insult you. i would just rather focus on helping folks and discussing positive things and skip discussing negative things.

I'm afraid to answer :(

No, really I have yet to recieve any response. Someone pointed out to me that site is pretty old which leads me to believe someone isn't looking after it. I might try again through other alleys but I see Fengtao is re-designing or re-coding the whole codec dll. If nothing has changed I will follow it up.

Also note the little disclaimer they have down the botton of Dvdfab Platinum's. I am not sure when they added it.

"DVD to Mobile" feature of DVDFab Platinum is powered by FFmpeg, the famous open source project. More information about FFmpeg can be found at ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu.

Yes, I really can't do anything I want. I almost always consult with the other moderators. I bite my tongue a lot. I write things, and then I realize I can't. So I delete my own posts. Sometimes I feel some people have been exceedingly rude towards me, and I have to walk away from the keyboard out of fear that I'll write something I'll regret later, etc.
I will have to learn to do that. Though I like to speak my mind. Sometimes I come out looking like the bad guy when really I didn't mean to be bad. Though a lot of the times people seem to respect me for speaking my mind. Which is good in a way. But I can bet ya a new AnyDVD license I am not James' favourite guy ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi :)
Well this has more than ran its course.
Getting nowhere fast too.
Hence thread closed before declining anymore. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back