• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

gpl source code violation discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
068.gif
So much OT !!!

To all!!

Do you have no "parrot" at home??
042.gif

Last edited:
I have to add this is funny as I never seen a buch of users bash anything but again the truth hurts. :D

I have to add this is funny as I never seen a buch of users bash anything but again the truth hurts. :D

032.gif
Like that is my black soul !:cool:

Attention!
004.gif

Back to "CloneDVD 2.9.1.0 released"

Last edited:
Too late now ... you'ld have to delete three pages of postings to keep this thread on topic.

[OT]

Well, that thread looks like the farce that I would have expected. I give linx05 credit but I'm far from surprised at people simply being blind to what he's saying. All they need to do is read what he said and look at the DLLs mentioned but nope, they can't be bothered. I'm just surprised he hasn't been hanged, drawn, and quartered yet. I'm also shocked the thread is still open.

[/OT]

They changed the name of the topic from "Fengtao is a software thief" to "Is Fengtao a software thief?".:disagree::mad:

They changed the name of the topic from "Fengtao is a software thief" to "Is Fengtao a software thief?".:disagree::mad:

Well, frankly, the discussion itself was guaranteed to draw fire and it could have been approached in a slightly more tactful manner. By outright saying he's a thief you likely pissed a lot of people off. Wow, there's a shock. But, until people see the proof the statement is bold and, honestly, you did publish to Club CD Freaks in the DVDFab support forums. Can you actually be surprised people are both angered and the thread name was slightly changed? Be happy it wasn't deleted.

I am, however, impressed that the discussion has been allowed - thus far - to continue. I am disappointed in the response from pretty much everyone other than linx05 taking part in the discussion though. They're just sticking their heads in the sand and ignoring the facts. Maybe that can be fun but since I've never been an ostrich I have no idea.

Last edited:
from http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=28516&postcount=69

James said:
"no mention of GPL in readme or about box, or link to the source code (GPL requires this)"

also read http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=28489&postcount=49

from http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=28460&postcount=37

James said:
"I believe DVDFab uses open source code originally licensed under the GPL anyway without mentioning it or offering the DVDFab sources, so I don't think Fengtao cares much about open source or what people say. Maybe customers don't care if stolen code is used, as long as it works.

Just searching the strings in avcodec.dll shipping with DVDFabPlatinum 3.1.0.8

"This software is derived from the GNU GPL XviD codec (1.1.0).
Your software distributor has to give access to its source code"

Ah, interesting. Where is the link to the source? Where is the copy of the GPL license?

From the readme.txt:

DVDFab Platinum 3.1.0.8
Copyright (C) 2001-2007 Fengtao Software Inc.

No mention of GPL code in readme.txt or license.txt

As long as the authors of the code used without license are not complaining... maybe he has a private agreement with them (but I doubt this, as this would certainly be mentioned in the license.txt). Funny license by the way, a chinese software with a license "governed by the laws of the State of South Carolina". But fortunately that's not my business."

Last edited:
Also, when Anydvd ripper did use fixvts, in fact, credit was given to the author of fixvts, and Slysoft did, in fact, follow the rules.
I mention this because someone posted false information in the cdfreaks thread.

Also, when Anydvd ripper did use fixvts, in fact, credit was given to the author of fixvts, and Slysoft did, in fact, follow the rules.
I mention this because someone posted false information in the cdfreaks thread.

And notice no one took issue with that or asked for proof! Wow, what a shock. I'm stunned. Really. I am. :doh:

Anyway, I made one post in the thread over there and made it as diplomatic as possible. The issue was raised and now it's up to people to make their own decision. I just get irritated at the whole Slysoft conspiracy garbage.

People can think what they will and ignore what they will. I won't slag DVDFab as a program for accomplishing its purpose. It works pretty well although I don't use it. I'm very happy that they offer a free version. That option is nice. I just have huge issues with the ethical aspect of how things have been handled.

Ah well.

And notice no one took issue with that or asked for proof! Wow, what a shock. I'm stunned. Really. I am. :doh:

Anyway, I made one post in the thread over there and made it as diplomatic as possible. The issue was raised and now it's up to people to make their own decision. I just get irritated at the whole Slysoft conspiracy garbage.

People can think what they will and ignore what they will. I won't slag DVDFab as a program for accomplishing its purpose. It works pretty well although I don't use it. I'm very happy that they offer a free version. That option is nice. I just have huge issues with the ethical aspect of how things have been handled.

Ah well.

I agree with you 100% and I made a diplomatic reply and guess what I was only partially quoted. I did state I wasn't being biased as I do own the product too.

I agree with you 100% and I made a diplomatic reply and guess what I was only partially quoted. I did state I wasn't being biased as I do own the product too.

People like to selectively quote when they can use only a portion of it to bolster their argument.

And now a little lecturing to the world in general...

When it comes to Slysoft and DVDFab I think it will always be like jet fuel and a spark. Combine the two and you end up with a very large explosion.

I am a huge fan of Slysoft products but I would never consider myself a fanboy. I am a fanboy of nothing. There's a huge difference between fan and fanboy and you will always find fanboys for any product. The problem is that most fanboys are, IMO, ignorant and refuse to give any credence to any information that doesn't agree with their tunnel vision beliefs.

I have already publically stated how pissed I am that VSO ConvertXToDVD violates the GPL and I no longer use their software. They are ethically wrong. Now, up until the issue came to light I recommended the software to anyone who asked. Now I cannot. So, as you can see, I was a fan there, too, but never a fanboy.

In the end people need to be open-minded enough and mature enough to handle the criticism of a product when the criticism has merit and when information is offered to validate the criticism then people need to actually look into it instead of a reflexive "Up yours. You're just doing this because it's a conspiracy to promote another program." That's already been said in slightly different words but the point was there.

When Slysoft made use of old FixVTS code in the AnyDVD ripper they clearly stated such and when the license changed on the FixVTS code they stayed with the older code and made their own improvements. Ethical implications? There are none.

Has it ever been proven that AnyDVD HD makes use of any prior work from Doom9? I haven't seen any evidence at all and actually Slysoft went further by removing region coding on BR discs before anyone else. There's no evidence that Slysoft didn't develop their product completely independently. Ethical implications? There are none.

If tomorrow I was shown proof that Slysoft had done something I consider ethically wrong then I would be saying the same exact things I've said about DVDFab and VSO. Ethics overrule being a fan any day of the week and when they don't then you just might be a fanboy.

Bleh. I'll stop now. I think my point is clear. I'm in a ranting mood this week. It must be a result of the full moon on July 30th.

Last edited:
I use DVDFab and have no qualms about there business dealings..........mainly because I have no facts about their business.
I paid a more than fair price for a software that has a 30 day fully functional trial period and does all that it claims with no compatibility issues and no disabling of any other softwares to use it.
Perhaps there business dealings are somewhat unethical but if we were to refrain from purchasing every product that is unethical in their business practices we would all be without many luxuries and what we all consider to be our necessities in life.

Last edited:
(1) DVDFab violates the GPL
(2) VSO software (ie ConvertXToDVD) violates the GPL
(3) Slysoft doesn't steal code from the public domain or use GPL/OSS code

...and to keep this thread on-topic...

I haven't, personally, experienced this pixalation (sp) problem but I'm glad to see it's been resolved because I've read about it for awhile. Good work, Elby!

I guess 1-Click violates gpl rules as well? visit http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=28538&postcount=85

Yes Web. what happen to people that do things original like slysoft as one example? At least original code/author makes you feel good at what was accomplished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back