• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

gpl source code violation discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the comments guys. I tried and tried but they seem determined that they are right. I made one more post but I doubt that will sway any of them.

One thing I know for sure, they won't see a cent from me or my friends and family. Maybe that will change if Fengtao picks up his act and gives credit where credit is due.

Also, when Anydvd ripper did use fixvts, in fact, credit was given to the author of fixvts, and Slysoft did, in fact, follow the rules.
I mention this because someone posted false information in the cdfreaks thread.

And I got permission to use it by jeanl (the author).

Has it ever been proven that AnyDVD HD makes use of any prior work from Doom9?
Impossible, because it doesn't. ;) But even if it would, this wouldn't be a problem, as this code (from arnezami) isn't licensed under GPL. It is public domain, so everyone is free to use it.

Thanks for the comments guys. I tried and tried but they seem determined that they are right. I made one more post but I doubt that will sway any of them.

One thing I know for sure, they won't see a cent from me or my friends and family. Maybe that will change if Fengtao picks up his act and gives credit where credit is due.

Not enough. He has to release the *complete* DVD Fab Platinum source code in a way, anyone can build the whole application.
*This* is what GPL is all about: Freedom. Not free, like in "free beer".

EDIT: I assume he knows this, and that's why he isn't giving the proper "credit" to the open source authors.

James, can you tell me why these people don't believe there is enough evidence? I would assume finding several references to open sourced programs in *his* DLL would be enough.

Kewl I see all that was said is to release a txt file giving crefit where it is due and everything is wiped under the table and forgotten about.

Yes Web. what happen to people that do things original like slysoft as one example? At least original code/author makes you feel good at what was accomplished.

Original? What software is truly original?:confused:

Slysofts products are origional and unequaled. If we spent as much time helping other members as we do talking about this subject, we would be doing alot more for the Slysoft community.:agree:

I guess 1-Click violates gpl rules as well? visit http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=28538&postcount=85

Yes. A curiously common thread, however, is that in all three of the programs discussed as of late there is a connection to VSO.

(1) Some VSO products such as ConvertXToDVD make use of the noted DLLs (ie avcodec.dll).
(2) Only the shareware versions of DVDFab Decrypter make use of the noted DLLs.
(3) 1Click DVD Copy Pro [if not other versions] make use of the noted DLLs.

All 3 of these products make use of the Patin-Couffin burning engine. Some might say that the real fault then is with VSO because all LG and DVDFab are doing is using the VSO stuff. Maybe DVDFab & LG are unknowingly violating the GPL? Well... there's a problem with that argument. In Windows Explorer or whatever software you use instead go and view the file properties for avcodec.dll in the directories of the 3 programs: ConvertXToDVD, DVDFab Decrypter Platinum & 1Click DVD Copy Pro. You'll see the file in all three instances. There is a difference however. If you check the version information for VSO's software or 1Click DVD Copy Pro you actually get some and it's copyrighted by VSO Software. If you check the properties for DVDFab's avcodec.dll there is no version info, period. So, to me, the unknowingly using part gets thrown out the window. It appears the info has been removed from the files.

But... the above statements are just speculation on my part. I just find the connection a bit odd and interesting.

Last edited:
The thread is closed:mad:

It had to be closed. At this point it was not doing any good. The discussion was had and more than adequate info had been provided as to the improper use of GPL'ed code. Some people ignored the evidence of such and simply don't care and stated as much. Others did acknowledge it. The thread, itself, was headed into a downward spiral and given more time the insults would have increased and the value of the valid points addressed would have been lost.

The only thing left is for Fentgao to either address the issue openly which I personally don't expect to happen since he's generally very quiet from what I've seen or the license can be changed appropriately and the necessary changes made. I don't think the entire discussion will result in any changes, personally, which I just find sad.

Slysofts products are origional and unequaled. If we spent as much time helping other members as we do talking about this subject, we would be doing alot more for the Slysoft community.:agree:

I don't think this discussion took anything away from people helping other users. And, remember, it's not a bad thing to take a break from the normal discussion or help to discuss something else as long as it is done in a respectful manner w/o violating any applicable laws. ;)

The only thing left is for Fentgao to either address the issue openly which I personally don't expect to happen since he's generally very quiet from what I've seen or the license can be changed appropriately and the necessary changes made.
The problem is - he can't, as he has to release the complete source code of DVD Fab Platinum under GPL (make it open source).
This is the point everybody seems to ignore: even if you only use a tiny piece of GPL code, the entire program (derived work) must be released under GPL, meaning open source. This is even true, if you only use a library published under GPL. If you use a GPL library, the executable must be released under GPL as well.

I don't think he wants that.

From a legal point of view, only the copyright holder can pursue copyright violations. This means, (one of) the authors of the code used can force Fengtao / VSO / whoever... to follow the rules outlined in the GPL.

Some authors have done this a few times successfully, even against large companies like D-Link and LinkSys.
More information can be found here:

http://www.gpl-violations.org/

An extract from this site:

Goals of gpl-violations.org

The goals are:

Raise public awareness of the infringing use of free software, and thus putting pressure on the infringers.
Give users who detect or assume GPL-licensed software is being misused a way to report them to the copyright holders. This is the first step in enabling the copyright holders to push for license compliance.
Assist copyright holders in any action against GPL infringing organizations.
Distribute information on how a commercial entity using GPL licensed software in their products can comply with the license.

I think Slysoft softwares are unquestionably top of the line and there are few that are as good......BUT
unequaled....No. There are others, though they be few, that are equal in quality as well as functionality.
Original......No............Was AnyDVD the first decrypter? Was Clone CD the first CD copier? Was Clone DVD the first DVD copier?

I think Slysoft softwares are unquestionably top of the line and there are few that are as good......BUT
unequaled....No. There are others, though they be few, that are equal in quality as well as functionality.
Original......No............Was AnyDVD the first decrypter? Was Clone CD the first CD copier? Was Clone DVD the first DVD copier?
We are getting into semantics here, there are things that AnyDVD does that no other software has been able to accomplish, ever. I call that original. Of course there have been programs that have tried to do what Slysoft products do, and some have succeeded to a point, but in my opinion they are original in many other areas.:agree:

Sorry, there is nothing that compares to AnyDVD (HD).
(Real time decryption of DVD / Blu-ray / HD DVD / with all these features for real time manipulation for *watching*)

Original......No............Was AnyDVD the first decrypter?
Real time decrypter on a driver level as part of the OS? Yes, absolutely.

Was Clone CD the first CD copier?
No, but it was the first to copy subchannel data 1:1 (remember early Sony SecuRom on PC games and PlaySatation?)

Was Clone DVD the first DVD copier?
No, I believe it was the third.

This isn't the fact of what is being said. What is being said is a developer creating a piece or pieces of software to be used and or bought by the general public. Slysoft and elby for that matter has written their own code from ground up this is where some software companies fall short of success is far from short if the developer isn't doing their own coding for a product in whole. I only know of 2 companies that are not developing their own product from ground up but using pieces of this or that to fit in their product. Out of all software out there I recommend only 3 products if a person asks what dvd copying software you suggest there has been a few people ask about fab and I said stay clear and suggest the person look into other product. A piece of software that needs fixed 2,3 or even 4 times a week consistently isn't what I would want to invest in, I bought dvd fab way before this all took place the product is way cheap for what it does but look at the crap you have to go through all the time every week the same crap or movie problems so compatibility may be a plus but the out come after is another story in my opinion. Remember not bashing as I own DVD Fab.

Sorry, there is nothing that compares to AnyDVD (HD).
(Real time decryption of DVD / Blu-ray / HD DVD / with all these features for real time manipulation for *watching*)

Real time decrypter on a driver level as part of the OS? Yes, absolutely.

No, but it was the first to copy subchannel data 1:1 (remember early Sony SecuRom on PC games and PlaySatation?)

No, I believe it was the third.

Yes and what a great product you have as well and what other company would allow the use of anydvd with other copying software none. I recommend this to everyone that I run in to always.

This won't be enough. Come on guys, before talking about about software theft, *read* the damn GPL. Try to understand it. Have a look at http://www.gpl-violations.org/

I know, this about politics. It is about freedom. Two things people today don't care about. Which makes me sad.

What did you expect? The attitude "haha, i don't care, as long as (fill in product using GPL code) works, it's not my business" was very predictable.

Anyway, the only person(s) who can legally ask an infringing software vendor for action are the author(s) of the code used.
If you want to make them aware of the abuse, http://www.gpl-violations.org/ may be able to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back