• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

gpl source code violation discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed thread title

I changed the thread title, as this problem really isn't DVDFab specific...

The problem is - he can't, as he has to release the complete source code of DVD Fab Platinum under GPL (make it open source).
This is the point everybody seems to ignore: even if you only use a tiny piece of GPL code, the entire program (derived work) must be released under GPL, meaning open source. This is even true, if you only use a library published under GPL. If you use a GPL library, the executable must be released under GPL as well.

I don't think he wants that.

Oh, I know, and I agree with you. I neither expect him to acknowledge what has been done nor to change the program. I happen to be a jaded realist with a fatalistic view on the world but somehow I'm also an idealist. I know this will never result in a change but I also wish it would.

In the end, at least, some people who weren't aware of the situation now are and they can make their own decisions based upon their own ethical and moral values. So, I guess some positive came about in the sense that some of the uninformed are now informed. Beyond that c'est la vie.

Oh, I know, and I agree with you. I neither expect him to acknowledge what has been done nor to change the program. I happen to be a jaded realist with a fatalistic view on the world but somehow I'm also an idealist. I know this will never result in a change but I also wish it would.

In the end, at least, some people who weren't aware of the situation now are and they can make their own decisions based upon their own ethical and moral values. So, I guess some positive came about in the sense that some of the uninformed are now informed. Beyond that c'est la vie.
Amen to that. At least some brave souls raised a tiny little bit of public awareness. Kudos to that! :bowdown:

This isn't the fact of what is being said. What is being said is a developer creating a piece or pieces of software to be used and or bought by the general public. Slysoft and elby for that matter has written their own code from ground up this is where some software companies fall short of success is far from short if the developer isn't doing their own coding for a product in whole. I only know of 2 companies that are not developing their own product from ground up but using pieces of this or that to fit in their product. Out of all software out there I recommend only 3 products if a person asks what dvd copying software you suggest there has been a few people ask about fab and I said stay clear and suggest the person look into other product. A piece of software that needs fixed 2,3 or even 4 times a week consistently isn't what I would want to invest in, I bought dvd fab way before this all took place the product is way cheap for what it does but look at the crap you have to go through all the time every week the same crap or movie problems so compatibility may be a plus but the out come after is another story in my opinion. Remember not bashing as I own DVD Fab.

Actually it was precisely the "fact of what is being said". Please read what I quoted.
I am sorry if you have so much trouble with Fab. Perhaps you should look into your PC configurations or possibly find a tutorial on the software?

Some of those people are really stubborn. I've said it before, I would hate the day fanboyism came into the DVD ripping scene. Looks like it is already here.

It seems like I'm not the most well liked guy over there. Oh well lol. I've sent an email off to the gpl people.

Also, I will have a read of the GPL license fully James. Just for you :p

Actually it was precisely the "fact of what is being said". Please read what I quoted.
I am sorry if you have so much trouble with Fab. Perhaps you should look into your PC configurations or possibly find a tutorial on the software?

I by far need a tutorial and or PC help you tend to test my intelligence and I ask you to please stop. I refuse to recommend a software product that has 50+ updates a month if there is one good update then one or two more needed this is the norm in my book. Slysoft rarely needs an update this is something I would recommend as it is dependable.

Some of those people are really stubborn. I've said it before, I would hate the day fanboyism came into the DVD ripping scene. Looks like it is already here.

It seems like I'm not the most well liked guy over there. Oh well lol. I've sent an email off to the gpl people.

Also, I will have a read of the GPL license fully James. Just for you :p

Did they ever respond?

I am curious too.

Slysoft Defensiveness

Why are you people so intent on bashing a competing product in the middle of the 3rd Party Forum?
Why did this start up immediately following the release of a dvd (Blades of Glory) that caused AnyDVD/CloneDVD to gag, when DVDFab was updated almost immediately and cruised through that release like a hot knife through butter? Even RipIt4Me handled that title ok.
And all these people taking the high road over gpl code - concerning software specifically designed to get around copy protection mechanisms on commercially released dvd's - pretty funny to read.
I agree with the folks who said everyone should go back to doing something productive and shut this silly thread down. Or at least move it to one of the actual Slysoft product forums - maybe AnyDVD.
Leave Fengtao alone - he's doing just fine. And DVDFabPlatinum and DVDFabDecryptor are excellent programs. Slysoft would be better served to concentrate on putting out continually improved products vs. bashing the competition.

Why are you people so intent on bashing a competing product in the middle of the 3rd Party Forum?

It's a discussion, and it's allowed. I, for one, am interested in whether GPL source code violations are taking place. As a consumer, I like to know what I am or am not supporting with my money.

That said, I don't necessarily agree with the tone of everyone's post in this thread, and I would like everyone to remain civil.

Why did this start up immediately following the release of a dvd (Blades of Glory) that caused AnyDVD/CloneDVD to gag

I think you need to check the date of the first post in this thread. And today is Sept. 7th. So today is five days after a Slysoft fix has been released.

when DVDFab was updated almost immediately and cruised through that release like a hot knife through butter?

Actually, no it wasn't. dvdfab released several betas that did not work properly with this title from 3.1.7.3 until 3.1.7.8, and it wasn't resolved until 3.1.7.8. That's a whole day before Slysoft released one update that worked the first time.

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=48487&postcount=28

And all these people taking the high road over gpl code - concerning software specifically designed to get around copy protection mechanisms on commercially released dvd's - pretty funny to read.

Why? Do you believe everyone uses this software to copy commercial discs that they don't own? Some might (I can't control what they do; much like, I can't control if my neighbour across the street decides to do something deemed immoral). I don't. Moreover, do you believe the practice of violating gpl licensing is fine? I don't. I don't know if that has happened here, but I am curious.
The reasons for concern as provided by James are sound.

Last edited:
Personally, I'm wondering if Rich86 happened to mistakenly read August as being September. This has been a dead topic since August 5th and then today on September 7th it started up again. A quick misread could make one think it was simply 2 days [instead of the actual 1 month and 2 days] between the old and new posts although this topic is so old I can't understand how Rich86 didn't know about this thread until now.

That said, yes, it is very possible to be concerned with misuse of GPL code even when removing copy protection on DVDs. I own my DVDs and I will do with them what I wish. I am tired of people who see the world in black and white and don't see the other colours. So, just because I refuse to have my Fair Use rights controlled I therefore cannot find the improper use of GPL'ed code to be wrong? Sorry, but that is a patently absurd.

I said in the past and I'll say it again, because of improper use of GPL'ed code I no longer use VSO ConvertXToDVD [which I loved] and although I may test out the freeware version of DVDFab HD Decrypter in some cases I never actually use it for making backups. I won't pay for DVDFab Decrypter if it wrongly makes use of other peoples' work. As it is I am thoroughly happy with Slysoft's products.

Oher than having the issue with the misuse of GPL code I will never say anything negative about DVDFab that doesn't have any valid basis. Yes, I did make note [numerous times] of how many betas it took for Blades of Glory to work properly and how long in relation to AnyDVD. I did this partially because some people were essentially saying Slysoft sucked, was slow, had dropped the ball, etc. I have no reason to bash DVDFab and I don't consider having an issue with how GPL'ed code is misused to be bashing.

Last edited:
Copying Commercially Released DVD's

In the USA, according to the DMCA, it is completely irrelevant whether you own a dvd or not as related to the legality of copying it. While I personally believe the DMCA is nothing more than a Hollywood purchased hammer to be used on all our "fair use" rights, it only cares whether the product involved bypasses some sort of digital copy protection on a dvd - hence Macrovision being able to force LighteningUK to drop development of DVDDeCryptor - and the twin of DMCA in Australia giving Sony the ability to quash RipIt4Me (and a few other items loosely associated with it). DVDShrink was another matter entirely, as the author chose to stop development and reportedly took a job with Ahead Software (Nero).
My suggestion remains (as suggested by another before me) - let's skip taking any false moral/legal high roads from the little island of Antigua where Slysoft resides to avoid litigation (and I most certainly do not blame them at all!), and go back to providing assistance, ideas and support related to the fair use of the products intended under each of the forums here. Why not just stop complaining about or bashing competing products. Folks who want the convenience of "on-the-fly" dvd decrypting will choose AnyDVD/CloneDVD - or maybe DVDFabPlatinum - folks who want a freebie which works in batch mode will choose one of the other alternatives available. 95% of the time DVDDeCryptor still works perfectly. Choices - aren't they wonderful!

And I say the same to those who come into these forums and advocate DVDFab (or any other product) over Slysoft products. This just doesn't seem to be the place for it. I think debates like that more properly belong in truly 3rd party forums like CDFreaks - or Videohelp - where they are not sponsored by a particular software company. I think Slysoft is to be commended for sponsoring these forums with the intention of providing a way to assist their customers. Because of that it is not the place to advertise competing products - and not the place to slander competing products or developers either.
By the way - if I came across Fengtao or anyone else slamming James in a different forum - I would defend James and Slysoft just as vigorously.

I personally do not care if someone backs up a movie in a country that makes it illegal to remove copy protection to make a backup. People should be able to make a copy of what they purchased, period.

Personally, I'm wondering if Rich86 happened to mistakenly read August as being September. This has been a dead topic since August 5th and then today on September 7th it started up again. A quick misread could make one think it was simply 2 days [instead of the actual 1 month and 2 days] between the old and new posts although this topic is so old I can't understand how Rich86 didn't know about this thread until now.

I've known about this nonsense going on since July, actually, and chose to ignore it. But Fengtao doesn't deserve to continue to be criticized - and it was your forum moderator who decided to fire this topic back up again . . .

I've known about this nonsense going on since July, actually, and chose to ignore it. But Fengtao doesn't deserve to continue to be criticized - and it was your forum moderator who decided to fire this topic back up again . . .
Webslinger had a good reason to post because he wanted to know if they had responded.

I personally do not care if someone backs up a movie in a country that makes it illegal to remove copy protection to make a backup. People should be able to make a copy of what they purchased, period.

I agree with you 100%.
But if the sheriff (or more likely courier asking you to sign for receipt of the litigation papers he has in hand for you) shows up at your door - it won't matter.
Just ask the folks who have had it happen to them.
Money talks and carries the badge! Fair use rights be damned.
Better that we just go back about our business of assisting folks with issues.
That was my only message.

Is it so wrong asking for any updates as one person was taking the GPL ordeal to another level and some of us would like to know if something was done (legaly reported) and what was said.

Webslinger had a good reason to post because he wanted to know if they had responded.

It is clear that Webslinger can do most anything he wants in these forums - and that's ok. But it is the reason this topic bubbled back up again.

, it is completely irrelevant whether you own a dvd or not as related to the legality of copying it

That has no bearing on morality. Most of us here do not agree with the DCMA. Regardless, it is not illegal where I am to make a backup of a disc that you own.

This just doesn't seem to be the place for it. I think debates like that more properly belong in truly 3rd party forums like CDFreaks - or Videohelp - where they are not sponsored by a particular software company. .

With all due respect, the thread at Cdfreaks was shut down (I haven't read it completely, but I can understand why; so I don't have an issue with that decision). That said, I'm pretty sure Cdfreaks does receive affiliate advertising revenue from software companies. A lot of forums do.

That aside, I don't care. I just want to know the truth about the GPL stuff, and I don't have a hidden agenda.

If you don't want to know about it, then don't read the thread.

Last edited:
It is clear that Webslinger can do most anything he wants in these forums - and that's ok. But it is the reason this topic bubbled back up again.
No he cannot just do anything he wants. He is a moderator, and there are administrators above him. He's always used good judgement though.

I find it interesting that first you ask "Why did this start up immediately following the release of a dvd (Blades of Glory)" (as though some hidden agenda exists), and now that the premise for your question has been shown to be false, you suddenly find blame with me for having posted to ask linx05 a question.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back